IGNORED

Boro

GrahamC

Lots of praise on here (rightly so) for us last night and whilst they will be disappointed, what about some for Boro?

How good it is to watch a team that comes to play decent football, doesn't time waste, feign injury or argue every single decision with the ref?

Maybe being more open was their downfall but they fully contributed to a very good match and I wish everyone else in this division played that way.

Agreed - didn't like it a few times when their players appeared to be overly physical to get a rise (Bryan being the most obvious case). 

But then trying to rile one of the best players who's on a yellow is a standard trick, and our players can cope this year with the physicality of the Championship - so yes was a great game to watch, and credit to them for also playing "beautiful" football rather than parking the bus and hoofing long balls

Indeed they did and that very thought crossed my mind as I watched the game. That said struggling teams, the ones that can be so difficult to break down only have the option of 'parking the bus'.  If they came and played in an open fashion they'd get stuffed.

Monk was pretty pissed off with his players post match, so much so he wasn't able to say how well City played...........:facepalm:

34 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Lots of praise on here (rightly so) for us last night and whilst they will be disappointed, what about some for Boro?

How good it is to watch a team that comes to play decent football, doesn't time waste, feign injury or argue every single decision with the ref?

Maybe being more open was their downfall but they fully contributed to a very good match and I wish everyone else in this division played that way.

Agree and I really enjoyed last nights  game. I said to my old man at half time that it was an enjoyable game to watch ..

However..it defiitely cost boro..we really struggle against teams who sit back and force us to come at them. If boro had employed those tactics they may well have run with their quick players on the  break

38 minutes ago, Raging_Robin said:

Traore. What a player he could be with some better decision making. Forshaw caught my eye as a player that would fit in well with our squad too. 

Traore reminded me of Sproule. If he had a footballing brain then he’d be dangerous. Very inconsistent.

Forshaw looked ok, but a poor mans Pack at best.

17 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Agree and I really enjoyed last nights  game. I said to my old man at half time that it was an enjoyable game to watch ..

However..it defiitely cost boro..we really struggle against teams who sit back and force us to come at them. If boro had employed those tactics they may well have run with their quick players on the  break

I thought exactly the same. Both teams wanted to play and it made it a good watch. I think many teams will realise on our day we are very difficult to beat and many manager with less scruples shall we say might be tempted to result to tactics we can’t play against well, the parking the bus or disruptive tactics of Preston etc.

i actually had a dream we got to the PO final, against Preston, and I can’t bring myself to say what happened. Again. I only hope if that ever happens we will have a Ref like yesterday’s who was excellent.

20 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

I thought Traore was their best player by a mile. Skill, strength, pace and a real desire to win. 

Certainly a very exciting player to watch. Still only 21 as well. Great talent.

Whereas Boro fans thought they were very poor.And for the supposed market value of that team I would agree. 

Traore is ex Barcelona Academy and they have a buy back option in place. He was signed whilst Albert was still there. They then decided to sell Albert to Villa. This season Albert 10 goals and a number of assists, Traore nowt and not even a regular starter!

1 minute ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Obviously I'm in the minority here reading this post but I thought they were very poor for the players they had in their squad. Thought they looked disjointed and slightly out of ideas, I'm sure a lot of Boro fans would agree.

I can certainly see why they're nowhere near the play offs.

Same here. Surprised with the praise they’re getting. 

Tactically, Monk got the game awfully wrong. They were playing an unbelievably high line, with a very slow back line. All we had to do (and were doing) was put the ball over the top for Reid to get onto. We did this virtually the whole first half and he didn’t change anything. Very poor. 

With their squad, they should be as good as/better than Wolves. Man for man they probably have the best players in every position in the league - bar maybe their CBs - but looked like a team that had just been promoted and couldn’t get used to the league. 

Bar Traore, none of their players stood out to me (you’d expect someone that used to be at Barca to stand out though) 

4 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Obviously I'm in the minority here reading this post but I thought they were very poor for the players they had in their squad. Thought they looked disjointed and slightly out of ideas, I'm sure a lot of Boro fans would agree.

Likewise. Powder-puff.

Couldn't believe how weak they were in the tackle - when they could be bothered to make one! 

Anazed as they were my nailed-on certainties for promotion. 

7 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Only 6 points off.

2 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Whereas Boro fans thought they were very poor.And for the supposed market value of that team I would agree. 

Traore is ex Barcelona Academy and they have a buy back option in place. He was signed whilst Albert was still there. They then decided to sell Albert to Villa. This season Albert 10 goals and a number of assists, Traore nowt and not even a regular starter!

Boro fans get very frustrated with Traore. He is somebody who can get you off your seat but he rarely makes the right decision. That said, everytime he had his back to goal in their half and managed to turn, he scared the hell out of me. The raw pace and power he posseses is a rarity in the game. If he had half of Bobby Reid’s intelligence and tenacity, he would not be playing in the championship. 

Also, Boro were good to watch. I mean they looked a collection of individuals who get together once a week to play football. Though they did play it the right way. The entertainment value last night was top notch. Also, shout out to the referee who I haven’t seen mentioned so far. The less people talk about you as a referee, the better your performance. Forgot he was there at times. 

They try & play the game the right way. But I can't say I was impressed with the way they implemented that style of play. Their only threat imo was the raw pace of Traore. I think they did look to play the right way, when we let them, then the trigger happened & at times they couldn't cope with our press & energy. Except for a short spell, we were the dominant force. COYR 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Sorry it was only good because 1) they were awful at it 2) they played right into our hands

My ex housemate is a Boro fan and was down for the game, so I for am massively happy with the result.

Looking purely at Boro I can understand why he is so fustrated. They have one of the best teams on paper, have spent a lot of money and Steve Gibson came out at the start of the season saying they are going to smash the championship. 

I feel Boro issue is they haven’t got an identity. Under Karanka they were very strong defensively and often won by the odd goal. They had fantastic shape and recruited very well. 

Under Monk they don’t know if they are a passing team, a physical team, a team who are defensively strong, a team who will attack. They have no game plan and my ex housemate frankly believes Monk is a fraud.

3 hours ago, RedM said:

I thought exactly the same. Both teams wanted to play and it made it a good watch. I think many teams will realise on our day we are very difficult to beat and many manager with less scruples shall we say might be tempted to result to tactics we can’t play against well, the parking the bus or disruptive tactics of Preston etc.

i actually had a dream we got to the PO final, against Preston, and I can’t bring myself to say what happened. Again. I only hope if that ever happens we will have a Ref like yesterday’s who was excellent.

Don't Preston have almost as bad record as us in the play offs?

5 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

I thought Traore was their best player by a mile. Skill, strength, pace and a real desire to win. 

But absolutely no end product. He kept beating a man with skill, surging into space, then doing the square root of FA with it. His shooting and final ball was embarrassing- though not as bad as Marvin Johnson's corners and free kicks 

Boro didn't get it right last night - thankfully! they rely on pace when they attack and in Assabalonga  they have one of the best  strikers in the league.

He didn't get a kick last night mainly because LJ got his tactics right with 5 in midfield and stopped the supply to Traore etc, to a very large extent.

Our 5 in midfield were fantastic and put in a real shift.

Agree with the comments above, Boro came to play a game of football and not try to upset our style. Truly laudable, but naive by Monk, the way we 'can' play when we are it is a gamble for any team in this league.

However if you come and 'park the bus' you have a chance and that is something we need to address because more and more teams are going to employ that tactic.

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Hardly doing themselves any favours are they with that style of football away from home? Ask the Boro fans if they were delighted with how they played? Yes I am sure you would want every other team to play that way :P  

If he could stay injury free, I would have Assombalonga at Ashton Gate in a heartbeat. Not a good game yesterday but everything we need to compliment our existing strikers. £15M was a heck of a gamble for a player who has missed a lot of games over the years.

Borohave spent a lot of money to be stuttering above mid-table. Their fans do not see future success with Monk in charge.

7 hours ago, Flint says No said:

They were very good in fact almost as good as us. The reason they lost the game though is the fact they only had 1 shot on target which was Fabios shot which barely troubled FF I don’t think it included Magnussons own goal

And we have a Manager who organised our side better

Archived