IGNORED

England fans, Belgium WC game.

BCFC1512

If you are a etc member there is loads on there web page forum  on what people are doing . im based in burnham on sea and was speaking to the york city lot we travel with and they have a few good ideas so will start making plans soon . ill give you a contact number if thats any help

56 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Anyone else’s flying out to Kaunas? How’s best to get to Kaliningrad?

Kaunas is 160 miles from Kaliningrad.

You can get a bus for 12 euros but as far as I can see it takes 6 hours, same for the train.

I only had a quick look so there may be more options. I will update if I get more details.

If there is a group of you it is best to hire a car and drive there.

Don't forget you will need a visa.

If you are staying in Kaunas it is a great night out and there is a great new cider pub opened recently.

You can rent an apartment in the centre from about €25 per night.

There’s a fan on the England Supporters Club forum who’s planning to run a bus to Kaliningrad from Vilnius, with a stop in Kaunas to pick up anyone staying there, departing and returning the same day. 

The normal visa rules for Russia are being relaxed for the duration of the tournament such that holders of match tickets won’t need a visa provided they have a valid Fan ID. A similar approach was adopted for the Sochi Winter Olympics a couple of years back. 

Even though the visa rules have been relaxed I’m still not sure I’d fancy crossing that land border on match day. All papers will be checked (and I imagine you’ll be queuing alongside other non-football fans who do have visas), and from reading the forum, loads of England fans are planning to travel into Kaliningrad on the day from one of Olsztyn, Gdańsk, Kaunas or Vilnius. I imagine loads of Belgian fans will be doing the same thing and the queues to get into Kaliningrad on match day could end up being horrendous. I’ve got experience of long delays crossing land borders in Eastern Europe on match day for an England game and in one case it was looking for a time like I’d miss kick off. It cost a bit more to sort out travel from Nizhny Novgorod to Kaliningrad without leaving Russia, but for the avoidance of hassle I think it was probably worth it. 

Seriously?  You do realise what you're getting yourself into?

England fans WILL be targeted by the Russian Hooligans and the police. If you are going to go, make sure you travel with an official tour party.. And let people back home know exactly where you are so they can come and identify you in hospital (the last bit is an exaggeration I hope! )

Be very careful with the usual footy banter as you'll be arrested for saying anything out of turn. 

Other than that have a great time! :facepalm:

14 minutes ago, Cider Queen said:

England fans WILL be targeted by the Russian Hooligans and the police. If you are going to go, make sure you travel with an official tour party.. And let people back home know exactly where you are so they can come and identify you in hospital (the last bit is an exaggeration I hope! )

Be very careful with the usual footy banter as you'll be arrested for saying anything out of turn. 

Total scaremongering.

42 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Total scaremongering.

I hope so, but just be aware of the risks is all I'm saying.  Let's be honest drinking loads of beer singing the usual England songs aren't going to be endearing yourself to the locals.. It is a different world / way of life over there.. Amazing place to visit but unfortunately stuck in the 80s for many things.. Including football violence. 

8 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Find yourself a friendly Russian to buy your match tickets for you as they are about a tenth of the price for Russian nationals.  Foreigners are being ripped off. Are there any Russians on the forum?

Don’t forget, if you get a local to source a ticket you’ll still need a full visa. Buy one yourself and you’ll get a Fan ID and visa-free entry. Factor in the cost and hassle of arranging visas and I’d say you’re probably better off buying through the official channels. 

1 hour ago, Cider Queen said:

Heard it all before. I was told before South Africa 2010, Ukraine 2012 and Brazil 2014 that various grisly fates awaited me (‘you’ll get car-jacked / mugged at knifepoint / shot / beaten up by Ukrainians’ etc)...and ended up having a fantastic time in all three places without any trouble at all. Also went to Moscow in 2007 when we lost 2-1 and while it was edgy (and while I’m aware there were pockets of trouble), I had a hassle free trip. 

4 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Good grief :laugh:!! Went to Russia in 2007, was a delight to visit fantastic city, I’d imagine the other city’s are similar. If you want trouble you’ll get it if you don’t you won’t!

Totally agree, been to Russia a number of times from the big cities to the vast wilderness of Siberia and have to say it is a great country to visit. I'm sure there will be trouble out there but if you respect their country and respect their ways the majority of fans will be fine. I can't see there being trouble in Kaliningrad though as with it being isolated it makes it even hard for the Russian holligans to get there.

For anyone flying to Lithuania or Poland and thinking of hiring a car to drive to Kaliningrad double check that you can take the car across the boarder as we have been unsuccessful in finding a company that will let us take one from Gdansk so are now hiring a mini bus with driver. 

13 minutes ago, wesco said:

Totally agree, been to Russia a number of times from the big cities to the vast wilderness of Siberia and have to say it is a great country to visit. I'm sure there will be trouble out there but if you respect their country and respect their ways the majority of fans will be fine. I can't see there being trouble in Kaliningrad though as with it being isolated it makes it even hard for the Russian holligans to get there.

For anyone flying to Lithuania or Poland and thinking of hiring a car to drive to Kaliningrad double check that you can take the car across the boarder as we have been unsuccessful in finding a company that will let us take one from Gdansk so are now hiring a mini bus with driver. 

Are there flights from Bristol to Gdańsk? Or are you already out there from the other games?

8 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Are there flights from Bristol to Gdańsk? Or are you already out there from the other games?

I'm out for the first two then heading back for a couple of days then flying to Gdansk from Gatwick the day before the Belgium game. I live in London but know a few from the south west who were looking to fly out and don't think they managed to find a direct from Bristol. I did Kanaus from Bristol a few years back so presume thats an option.

Archived