IGNORED

New Arena

cityshippers

14 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

And that's not even right either!

The land is owned by Esteban Investments Ltd.

The company directors are Jon Lansdown and Martin Griffiths.

Not owned by Steve Lansdown at all.

Steve Lansdown is named as a person who has significant control - not sure of the legal niceties but it is very much under his direction.

http://www.bizstats.co.uk/ltd/esteban-investments-limited-08721972/

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Wasn't Esteban the main protagonist in 'Mysterious Cities Of Gold?'

Now, who remembers the theme tune!

There are plans to build a new indoor sports arena adjacent to Ashton Gate to house the Bristol Flyers basketball team's games, the BBC has learned.

Bristol Sport's proposed 3,000-capacity venue may also host netball, badminton, boxing and live entertainment events.

The umbrella organisation that runs Bristol City also has plans for a new training ground at nearby Ashton Vale.

The plans will be subject to a period of public consultation, having received initial backing from the city council.

As well as the Flyers and the Robins, Bristol Rugby, Bristol Ladies Rugby, Bristol City Women FC and the Bristol Jets Badminton team are all part of Steve Lansdown's Bristol Sport brand.

A triple-court basketball hall would also be built alongside the new arena, inspired by the National Basketball Performance Centre in Manchester, while the training ground at Ashton Vale would include an indoor 3G pitch.

Bristol does not currently have a franchise in the Netball Superleague - Britain's elite netball competition - but the proposals state Superleague matches could be played in the new indoor venue.

Meanwhile, long-running plans for an entertainments arena near Temple Meads railway station, which is in doubt after a "value-for-money" review by the council, has suffered numerous lengthy delays since initial approval in 2014.

A new Bristol City Council consultation document, outlining a five-year strategy to 2022, also puts forward other major sports facilities, including a new or enhanced swimming pool in the east of the city and multi-court sports halls across Bristol.

Analysis

BBC Radio Bristol political reporter Pete Simson

Recent history tells us building an arena in Bristol is a frustrating task. However, this is a project being led by Ashton Gate Ltd, not the city council.

The company's founder, Steve Lansdown, has made no secret of his desire for a 'Barcelona-style' sports hub in south Bristol, which could also in future include a rail and metrobus stop on its doorstep.

The arena would be the biggest indoor sports facility in Bristol and a worthy base for the Bristol Flyers basketball team, who regularly sell-out at their current home near Filton.

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Guest of honour I believe for the Manchester game as reward for her unstinting services in getting our new stadium built.

Joking aside I'm so glad Ashton Gate was redeveloped - we now have a proper stadium, not some flat pack on a rubbish dump

Flat pack?

This may have been a throwaway comment and I've no wish to re-open old arguments which are now irrelevant but that deserves a correction.

In terms of design Ashton Vale would have been light years ahead of the new Ashton Gate. 

The architects were a worldwide company, designing world class buildings all over the globe - some but not exclusively are football stadiums (Wembley, Cardiff Millenium).

The Ashton Gate redevelopment was designed by a small concern from Liverpool with a background in car parks and industrial buildings in the north of England.

They had never designed a football stadium before.

I know this because I've talked to people who worked on both designs.

If you're going to compare Ashton Vale and Ashton Gate, only one could conceivably be described as "flat pack" and it's not the former.

Ashton Vale was a missed opportunity - in a city famed for it's iconic architecture and pioneering engineering - to build something in the spirit of Brunel, something with the Wow! factor of a Concorde.  It was an opportunity for Bristol to punch it's weight, for a change, not well below it, as usual. It was an opportunity to generate much more income than Ashton Gate ever will too - which was the raison d'etre in all this after all.

I understand completely the emotional pull of staying at Ashton Gate and part of me is glad we have. But this was all about business - how to maximise revenue - and there's no room for sentiment in business.

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Steve Lansdown is named as a person who has significant control - not sure of the legal niceties but it is very much under his direction.

http://www.bizstats.co.uk/ltd/esteban-investments-limited-08721972/

Thanks for the link not seen that before, although the legal niceties are the land isn't owned by Steve Lansdown - which was my point! 

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Agree, worse if anything. The last one was an egotist and self serving and from reports this one is a bully who does not like being disagreed with.

Surely not!! Not the bloke that used to blank people on the school run then come his campaign was under way he's  Mr Super friendly

An elected Mayor simply takes away focus of the Local Authority just cracking on and getting shit done

Farcical

4 hours ago, RedRaw said:

In a nutshell. A 3/4k multi-purpose venue means we compete with the likes of Plymouth whereas we need to be punching up there with the likes of Newcastle, Leeds, Glasgow......well, every other major city in the UK that realised the economic benefits of arenas 20 years ago!  

What SL's plan should be doing is pushing the incompetent major into action on the arena, not giving him a "get-out" ticket.

He certainly has a strange sense of humour, but I am not sure it is fair to call @Major Isewater incompetent.

4 hours ago, bris red said:

But you dont want the powers that be at the council to see this and take there foot off the gas with the proper Arena is i think people's worry..

What actually is the crack then with the proper Bristol Arena? As i just drove past the the bridge and land it is supposedly suppose to be being built on and it got me wondering.. is it a funding or panning issue? The new brridge looks sound and the land is deffinetly in a decent location next to Temple Meads..

The main issue is that Marvin wants to sell that land to Bristol University. As soon as they move into the post office building with the new Law department. He will then wish to turn the arena into some sort of student village. 

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Esteban is 'Steven' in Spanish, isn't it?

That's very clever.....

Edit - just looked it up. Esteban is Spanish for 'Stephen'. As in Stephen Lansdown.....

Are the blue few OUTRAGED at these plans for a basketball arena yet?

One of the fewers I work with is actually quite excited at the thought of a larger basketball venue. He takes his kids to football with him and occasionally takes them to see the flyers as well.

He was saying to me that his kids prefer basketball at the moment, warmer, more points to cheer, faster game and all that.

He has no intention of not taking them to gas games, but did say that if season tickets for basketball were sensibly priced he would rather shell out for that and take the kids to football occasionally rather than getting season tickets for the swamp.

Our first convert?

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

3000 capacity should just about be enough then :)

My understanding is that the Council planners would insist on a secure "lock out" area for those in quartered shirts who, for very understandable reasons, do not wish to be inside watching 

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

With the cost overrun of Bristol arena, the council will be well behind this as long as none of them are dog walkers...

Arh but Crufts South West was made for this venue.

4 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Quite. The systematic problem of our council for the past 40+ years.  This Mayor lark has made it no better than it was before.

And then some; 'small' matter of a mayor salary, office and no doubt huge back up staff. This nationwide mayor nonsense was yet another 'Blair brainwave'. 

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

What can the current Flyers ground/court/pitch/arena/space hold?

A few hundred. Hard to tell maybe around 500 ish. Certainly less than 1000. Games are regularly sold out. Would be great if games could be held at AG Arena.

Archived