IGNORED

The Sheffield United v Bristol City Match Day Thread 21

As an interesting couple of addendums:-

Sheffield United have won the top flight title once in their history that season, being the same year Bristol North End became Bristol City, was 1897/8

They have won league titles on 3 other occasions;- 

League Division 2 - 1952/3 

League Division 4 - 1981/2 which I mentioned above.

League Division 1 (new)- 2016/17

City have won 5 nationwide league titles as of course we all know. :) 

" I don't do predictions but if did they would be dream like ones where John Galley scores a hattrick, thumps the cross bar, nearly scoring his forth that reverberates around the ground, and the chant 'we'll walk a million miles for one of your goals John Galley' would be heard as far away as Hillsborough. 

I don't mind admitting getting a small tear in my eye reading that paragraph @havanatopia. My eldest brother is currently very ill in Derriford Hospital in Plymouth and it brought back memories of standing next to him on the East End when he was home on leave from whichever ship he was on at the time, singing that very chant. 

I am going down to see my brother tomorrow and I hope to be bringing news of a win tonight along with the Boro win which he wont be aware of yet.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 10

Another great Havanatopia journalistic style starter. Thanks.

Two things; I trust Bramall Lane has undersoil heating otherwise with a clear night sky plus freezing temperatures, frost could easily have the game abandoned around half time. My other point is purely pedantic, so apologies Havanatopia but what is the plural of addendum as "A couple of addendums" is surely incorrect? I'd say it's either addenda or addendae. However, if we substituted addendum with the word stadium then a couple of stadiums would be acceptable, although stadia would be preferable. So maybe addendums is ok? I told you it was pedantic but what is the correct wording?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Norn Iron said:

Two things; I trust Bramall Lane has undersoil heating. My other point is purely pedantic, so apologies Havanatopia but what is the plural of addendum as "A couple of addendums" is surely incorrect? I'd say it's either addenda or addendae. However, if we substituted addendum with the word stadium then a couple of stadiums would be acceptable, although stadia would be preferable. So maybe addendums is ok? I told you it was pedantic but what is the correct wording?

Good point... addendi? And nothing pedantic about your query. :)

I hope undersoil heating is there too indeed.

And thanks for the compliment.

Port Said... All the very best for a full recovery to your brother. I hope he pulls through. Glad the remarks brought a tear or two of joy and may City shed some positive light on his well being.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to H for his input , tops as ever.

Drama , as William Shakespeare once said . 

Will the Blades succombe to our superior experience and quality or will sheer guts and bloody mindedness get them the win ? 

I don't know and if I did I'd be down the bookies in a Jiffy ( an expression, not a padded bag )

Each match this season is thought of as ' season defining ' . I feel if we win tonight it may psychologically undermine our opponents and put an end to their creditable start to life in the Championship. 

It's our turn for glory . 

Leave nothing on the pitch lads and bring those three points home .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Two things; I trust Bramall Lane has undersoil heating otherwise with a clear night sky plus freezing temperatures, frost could easily have the game abandoned around half time. My other point is purely pedantic, so apologies Havanatopia but what is the plural of addendum as "A couple of addendums" is surely incorrect? I'd say it's either addenda or addendae. However, if we substituted addendum with the word stadium then a couple of stadiums would be acceptable, although stadia would be preferable. So maybe addendums is ok? I told you it was pedantic but what is the correct wording?

The correct plural of addendum is, in fact, addenda, although, as addendum is recognised as an English word, addendums can also be used.

Anybody on here remember back in school having to decline the latin word for war, bellum?

Bellum, bellum, bellum, belli, bello, bello.

Bella, bella, bella, bellorum, bellis, bellis.

It still makes me chuckle.

And to think, we used to have to decline mensa (table) as well - Oh Table! (in the vocative form) anybody?

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

I'm showing my age here but Utd might not score again tonight as Tony Currie isn't even on the bench. 

I'm trying to think of Sheffield United 'greats' and can only come up with Tony. 

As far as players that have played for both clubs, I'm even more stuck. Diego De Girolamo is all I can come up with. There must be other players?

33 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The correct plural of addendum is, in fact, addenda, although, as addendum is recognised as an English word, addendums can also be used.

Anybody on here remember back in school having to decline the latin word for war, bellum?

And to think, we used to have to decline mensa (table) as well - Oh Table! (in the vocative form) anybody?

I bet I'm not the only one who thought of this when reading your post .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
26 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Where are we watching tonight?  As I dont have Sky, I will be watching the game in my local with a couple of pints and a burger.  I reckon SU are there for the taking and we could well be coming home with Another 3 points in the bag, though a point would be acceptable.

Even if we do win, we will still be third with a 3 point gap to Baadiff who play tomorrow.

Stumped for players at the moment but coaches , Danny Wilson and John Pemberton . 

36 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

reading this just got "eram eras erat eramus eratis erant" stuck in my head

And happy days reading "Caecilius ist pater", "Cerebus ist canis" etc. 

26 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Keith Curle?

Great shout. Played over 50 games for them. I remember talking to him as if it was only yesterday at the Crab Apple in Clevedon. He said that the goal he scored against the rovers came off his shin pads! We were talking after an away game in the mid 80s. 

Really looking forward to tonight’s game . Mum is making mash , pie and beans so over to her tonight . Sheffield United a ground I’ve never been to , it looks rather tired and old fashioned on the tele . If we can keep their big centre forward quiet we have a chance . First goal wins . 

• Like 1