IGNORED

The Sheffield United v Bristol City Match Day Thread 21

29 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

reading this just got "eram eras erat eramus eratis erant" stuck in my head

And happy days reading "Caecilius ist pater", "Cerebus ist canis" etc. 

A slightly esoteric subject, so I won't dwell on it, but now you mention eram, eras erat etc, I can't help but also recall amo, amas, amat etc.... 

Celeritur! Back to the football.

Going to be -1 by the match finishes kids so wrap up warm. I'll be there, thermal base layer, ski jacket and all! 

People who are driving up may want to consider getting off at M1 j29, coming through Chesterfield and parking on a street in Heeley. Sheffield traffic is awful at the best of times and there is free parking and some good pubs (Sheaf View, The Brothers Arms, The White Lion, The Crown are all good, Tramshed if you like your hipster bottle bars) which I believe are fine with away fans

If you are in town, West St is good for a party (if you like that kind of thing) Sentinel Brewhouse on Shoreham St is the best beer near the ground

Enjoy everyone, 3-1 to The Mighty Reds

PS Re: Sheff Utd and West Ham, what people forget is that had SU beaten an abject Wigan on the last day, they would have relegated West Ham. So despite WH stacking the deck unfairly, they still only have themselves to blame

41 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

reading this just got "eram eras erat eramus eratis erant" stuck in my head

And happy days reading "Caecilius ist pater", "Cerebus ist canis" etc. 

Mande merda et morere!

Quomodo una nocta facte tam turpis es?

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

I'm showing my age here but Utd might not score again tonight as Tony Currie isn't even on the bench. 

I'm trying to think of Sheffield United 'greats' and can only come up with Tony. 

As far as players that have played for both clubs, I'm even more stuck. Diego De Girolamo is all I can come up with. There must be other players?

John McPhail.

I'm showing my age here but Utd might not score again tonight as Tony Currie isn't even on the bench. 

I'm trying to think of Sheffield United 'greats' and can only come up with Tony. 

As far as players that have played for both clubs, I'm even more stuck. Diego De Girolamo is all I can come up with. There must be other players?

Brian Deane?

This is surely one of the most intellectual (or some may say  pretentious) threads ever seen on OTIB ? 

Semper diliget Havanae posts scriptor

"I always love Havana's posts" translated to Latin - I think, but I stand ready to be corrected. 

Meanwhile I will be glued to Sky Sports this evening and sincerely hope that they have under pitch heating - somebody must know whether they do or don't have that at Bramall Lane. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Another great Havanatopia journalistic style starter. Thanks.

Two things; I trust Bramall Lane has undersoil heating otherwise with a clear night sky plus freezing temperatures, frost could easily have the game abandoned around half time. My other point is purely pedantic, so apologies Havanatopia but what is the plural of addendum as "A couple of addendums" is surely incorrect? I'd say it's either addenda or addendae. However, if we substituted addendum with the word stadium then a couple of stadiums would be acceptable, although stadia would be preferable. So maybe addendums is ok? I told you it was pedantic but what is the correct wording?

The general rule is that Latin words adopted into English attract English plurals e.g. forums not fora. So addendums is fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

This is surely one of the most intellectual (or some may say  pretentious) threads ever seen on OTIB ? 

Semper diliget Havanae posts scriptor

"I always love Havana's posts" translated to Latin - I think, but I stand ready to be corrected. 

Meanwhile I will be glued to Sky Sports this evening and sincerely hope that they have under pitch heating - somebody must know whether they do or don't have that at Bramall Lane. 

I thought I would find out about the under soil heating myself.

Good news here:

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/bramall-lane-sheffield-united.html

• Thanks 1

I remember going to Bramall Lane in a 3rd round FA Cup tie in 1975 and Tony Currie scoring a classic free kick from long range in their 2-0 win over us (I think they were Div 1 at the time), anyone else remember that game?

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

The general rule is that Latin words adopted into English attract English plurals e.g. forums not fora. So addendums is fine.

Addendums is fine, but addenda is better (in my opinion.) Ditto referenda.

... and don’t start me on people not knowing that media is a plural word (of medium). So TV is a medium of communication, radio is a medium of communication etc, therefore the “media are” not the “media is”.

• Like 2