IGNORED

New Training Ground/Academy plans revealed.

Ashtonwurzel

1 hour ago, hoxton casual said:

As it says, another statement by the Lansdown family

I read the article earlier and this struck me as a bit odd. I'm not sure "the family" have been referenced as such in previous comms to any extent. Steve yes, of course, but this just seems a bit of departure from the norm; maybe a prelude to Sir Steve taking even more of a back seat? 

12 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Massive statement of intent. We are now nearly ready for the big time. Scouting network maybe needs some work but otherwise where do we lag a club such as West Brom/Southampton?

We have been expanding our recruitment section, read it in an interview from earlier in the year.

14 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

I assume we use the one at the rugby training ground about 1/2 a mile away?

Chances of converting one of the pitches where our current team trains? 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

We have been expanding our recruitment section, read it in an interview from earlier in the year.

Chances of converting one of the pitches where our current team trains? 

We’re moving next door. I’d imagine that QEH will be taking full control of the current training ground 

After getting incredibly bored tonight, I decided to do a little digging. It appears that the situation at the training ground isn’t as a lot of us believe it to be. 

We actually own very little of the ground at the moment. Whether that is due to change in the near future would be interesting to find out 65706D6D-025D-4C8A-BBFD-F79697E2188E.thumb.png.fccc46f912ef360be7f9e543ec074a88.png

We currently only own the yellow area, which is where we plan to build the new training ground. We’ve owned this area since 2009. Our changing rooms and gym are in the tiny area circled in red, while QEH own the building circled in blue.

Despite the fact we own the area in yellow, and plans went in during 2009 for it to be made into sporting pitches, we still train on QEH owned land, the bit in green. QEH currently own all the white area.

So actually we own very little, and have very little space to build. It is possible we will continue to use on the area we currently do, which houses 6 pitches, when are new training ground will only hold 3. Therefore giving us 9 pitches. 

However, if we are only going to use the yellow area, it is questionable whether 3/4 pitches will be enough for us. 

I'm sceptical the whole academy is moving over, if its just U19's and 23's then 3 pitches and some smaller training areas are probably enough if space is used well. I say I'm sceptical the younger age groups would move over as they showed floodlights for the main pitch where 23's would play but you don't see any other floodlights for 9's upwards who wouldn't play on full size pitches till 13's and even then no floodlights on the pitches to the right of the drawing. 

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

I'm sceptical the whole academy is moving over, if its just U19's and 23's then 3 pitches and some smaller training areas are probably enough if space is used well. I say I'm sceptical the younger age groups would move over as they showed floodlights for the main pitch where 23's would play but you don't see any other floodlights for 9's upwards who wouldn't play on full size pitches till 13's and even then no floodlights on the pitches to the right of the drawing. 

It’s quite simply not enough space unless we are to continue using the area at the southern end of the QEH site. If we are, then the 9 pitches we’d have would be enough, but three definitely won’t cut it 

I am surprised we are not creating something for the Football and Rugby to share, some facilities such as gym, indoor pitches, physio, re-habilitation (pools, ice pods, eqpt) medical / treatment rooms would surely make sense to share (even some of the staff). Moving the team and academy also would seem to make sense, I really thought it was going to be built at AV (I swear I saw preliminary plans a long time ago as well). It does seem pretty ad-hoc at the moment, it would be nice to know what the ideas are for the final product.

Fiale, i saw those plans as well if you are referring to that rather snazzy curled shaped building that was purported to be all of what you refer including, i think, a rugby 7's type indoor arena?

My guess is that the first team for football and rugby will ultimately be AV and the the Academy and perhaps Women at Failand although I am sure there will be cross over use for all. 

Then of course there is the site next to AG. A lot is going on.

The fact there is confusion suggests that the club either gives out deliberately obfuscating information or the local journalists are a bit dim.

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

I am surprised we are not creating something for the Football and Rugby to share, some facilities such as gym, indoor pitches, physio, re-habilitation (pools, ice pods, eqpt) medical / treatment rooms would surely make sense to share (even some of the staff). Moving the team and academy also would seem to make sense, I really thought it was going to be built at AV (I swear I saw preliminary plans a long time ago as well). It does seem pretty ad-hoc at the moment, it would be nice to know what the ideas are for the final product.

I think having one big complex for football is best, not even the obvious things but stuff like being able to decorate it purely as Bristol City to appeal to new signings rather than seeing Bristol rugby everywhere. Then I also imagine there's loads of small things that are differences between rugby and football training grounds you'd have to cater for, much simpler keeping them separate.

10 minutes ago, hodge said:

I think having one big complex for football is best, not even the obvious things but stuff like being able to decorate it purely as Bristol City to appeal to new signings rather than seeing Bristol rugby everywhere. Then I also imagine there's loads of small things that are differences between rugby and football training grounds you'd have to cater for, much simpler keeping them separate.

I would think the requirements are remarkably similar given they share Ashton Gate!

Moreover, cost will undoubtedly be a major factor; repeating by and large nearly identical facility requirements, with some differences that for sure can be accommodated, at two separate sites and for no reason really other than brand identity might be a cost that even SL does not think value for money.

That being said, there are multiple sporting requirements in this discussion and it seems that space will dictate what goes where.

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I would think the requirements are remarkably similar given they share Ashton Gate!

Moreover, cost will undoubtedly be a major factor; repeating by and large nearly identical facility requirements, with some differences that for sure can be accommodated, at two separate sites and for no reason really other than brand identity might be a cost that even SL does not think value for money.

That being said, there are multiple sporting requirements in this discussion and it seems that space will dictate what goes where.

Don't think cost is a major factor at all. If both teams train mainly in the mornings then the  facilities, pitches and gym would need to be large enough to accommodate both sets of players anyway.

I would imagine both camps would prefer to have full control over their own training facilities, if only to plan activities without having to reference each other.

Holden referred to the fact that they can only use the current meeting room at certain times in one of his interviews.

As said elsewhere the area is not big enough for all the Acadamy teams and it doesn't appear to have either the artificial pitches, or floodlighting that is required. All of the younger school age teams train during the evening under lights in winter.

There must be further plans not yet revealed for another site (AV?).

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Country; AV has been discussed. Your capacity comments i am sure are right and hence why more than location will be developed. The thrust of my earlier remarks centred around not thinking duplication would be made for branding sake and in reply to comments of Hodge.

A lot of personnel in a first class rugby club, and a lot of impact injuries to recover from week to week. It could get mighty crowded at times.

I'm confused. So the rugby are developing a new site, we are doing the same on a separate site but with a what looks to be a modest building and limited pitches and then AV is also going to be developed?

If it was upto me, I'd have every single Bristol City and Bristol Rugby entity on one huge site with world class facilities. Of course finding such a huge site may have proved to be a stumbling block.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

I'm confused. So the rugby are developing a new site, we are doing the same on a separate site but with a what looks to be a modest building and limited pitches and then AV is also going to be developed?

If it was upto me, I'd have every single Bristol City and Bristol Rugby entity on one huge site with world class facilities. Of course finding such a huge site may have proved to be a stumbling block.

The focus of training facilities of the  top clubs in this Country like Man City is football, football football. I have had the privilege of visiting the Etihad campus to watch my Son play and train and Mr Lansdown may not be able to afford a facility like that to put it into perspective, but on a practical and also psychological level it does not work, even the aesthetics of that campus are designed with the marginal gains of one sport in mind.

The most successful and developed sport in the UK in cycling focuses on cycling alone. BCFC training facilities should do likewise and focus on football.

22 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I believe there's a nice big plot up UWE way.

On 14/12/2017 at 00:26, JasonM88 said:

It’s quite simply not enough space unless we are to continue using the area at the southern end of the QEH site. If we are, then the 9 pitches we’d have would be enough, but three definitely won’t cut it 

That bit is yellow is more than enough space, you also don't know is lansdown has been buying up land in the area

On 14/12/2017 at 07:37, Port Said Red said:

A lot of personnel in a first class rugby club, and a lot of impact injuries to recover from week to week. It could get mighty crowded at times.

Rugby training every day will affect even a deso pitch adversely I'd imagine.  So if separate pitches would be needed it is probably easier to secure two smaller sites than one big one to accommodate both.

As far as AV v Failand goes, as a player I'd far prefer the secluded country setting of Failand any day.  Much easier to police spies from Real Madrid and Barcelona when we get to Europe too. Hee, hee.

Archived