IGNORED

Lee Johnson

TinMan's left peg

For a moment last night, when he took Magnússon off (who i thought was having his best game yet for city), i thought whats he doing.

It took me a minute or two to realise that a draw wasn,t an option so i thought yes thats right, add a striker (taylor) and drop joe back to fullback (??? his best position, i dont think so) and go for it. That is exactly what we did and fair play to lee for a brilliant game changing decision.

One thing you can't take away from Lee Johnson is his strength of character. He survived an absolute shit storm and he has been determined to prove the doubters wrong. You have to admire that. I was in the Johnson Out camp, but the slate was wiped when we didn't go down. 

I tell you what, you could definitely see the DNA last night. It is looking very much like there was a cancer within the club that was disrupting the plan and has since been offloaded. 

Last night was one of the best performances I have seen from City in a long long time (considering the strength of the opposition).

Lee Johnson and his team should be congratulated for that. 

A lot of immensely proud Bristolians today. Long may it continue!

I will admit I was one of those who had severe doubts about him last season, especially following Fulham at home.

Like a lot of us I was wrong- that's football. 

He got criticised and critiqued in the bad times, even if our results didn't always match performance level, or possession or chances created. Now he deserves every little bit of praise that's coming his way. The way he handled the Flint situation when he looked set for Birmingham was also great.

Yesterday, I arrived 50 minutes early for a 2pm meet up with a friend at Cafe Nero in Clifton Village. Sitting alone in the corner, looking calmness personified was Lee Johnson.

I introduced myself and shook his hand whilst explaining that if I'd known about all the distractions behind the scenes last season, inferring the Tomlin charges and Pemberton, then I'd have been more understanding and appreciative of his efforts. I quickly added how amazing it was that he was producing fantastic results, despite a depleted squad.

He didn't know me from Adam, but couldn't have been nicer and told me that 5 under 21s would be on the bench that evening. His wife and daughter then walked in and I wished them all a happy Christmas.

What struck me was his composed demeanour which has segued beautifully into the minds of his players, who are mutually unphased by any challenge put before them this season. And for that we are truly blessed.

Thank you Lee.

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

Who are these mythical people that will never take to him?  I'm yet to meet one, last season of course there were grumbles, this season nothing but praise.  Last season hung heavy over us for the start of this but Lee has gone through that and I'm sure all are more than happy.  I know I am.

Can confirm that "I'll never like him" shouts are still out. 

"Grumbles" - it was vile personal abuse. 

Those fans let our club down last year, not the ones who were disgruntled with our form (because it was poor), but those who went an uneccesary step further. 

I've no doubt this still leaves a bad taste in Johnsons mouth regarding our fans. And Holdens. Some of the abuse he received via mainly twitter was equally as bad; and with recent news about his tragic loss of his daughter, it puts football and a losing streak in perspective. The worst run in our history was shocking and a low point, but it's no excuse.   

Having said that, I'm glad to see many now appreciating Johnson and his staff, a group that care about city and are moving the club forward. 

I just hope everything up until this point is not forgotten after a couple of losses, the response at being 2-0 down at Hull suggest some fans won't take long to turn. 

In the meantime, enjoy.

In Johnson we trust 

3 hours ago, RumRed said:

Who are these mythical people that will never take to him?  I'm yet to meet one, last season of course there were grumbles, this season nothing but praise.  Last season hung heavy over us for the start of this but Lee has gone through that and I'm sure all are more than happy.  I know I am.

There's always the classic "I will boo" thread (which somehow I can't seem to find - can anyone help?)

I confess that I could see absolutely no sign that things would turn around so swiftly when we were in the depths of that bad run last season...I'm still not sure how anyone could have done. We looked awful. The transformation has been astounding...almost inexplicable...but marvellous. So, thanks to Lee and his team for turning things around and producing a side playing some of the most attractive and exciting football seen at the Gate in years. How they've done it we will doubtless understand better in the years ahead, but we go into Christmas with everything to play for and with 2018 promising to be a very exciting year.

Thanks Lee. Happy days!

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

I confess that I could see absolutely no sign that things would turn around so swiftly when we were in the depths of that bad run last season...I'm still not sure how anyone could have done. We looked awful. The transformation has been astounding...almost inexplicable...but marvellous. So, thanks to Lee and his team for turning things around and producing a side playing some of the most attractive and exciting football seen at the Gate in years. How they've done it we will doubtless understand better in the years ahead, but we go into Christmas with everything to play for and with 2018 promising to be a very exciting year.

Thanks Lee. Happy days!

I disagree we looked awful. 

Obviously we played poorly during some games, but the scary thing for me was that we were playing well and not getting results, I could name 9 games where we were leading (by 2 or 3 goals at times) and lose. 

I think many would remember me berating the players last season in defence of Johnson. I felt he was let down. To get in winning positions he must of been doing something right. 

I don't think it was a case "no light at the end of the tunnel", but the deeper that run went on, I was sat questioning when and how are we going to win, when the performances were ok but still losing.

So glad it's working out. Johnson is the man to take this club forward! I have absolutely no doubt! 

4 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

if I'd known about all the distractions behind the scenes last season, inferring the Tomlin charges and Pemberton

I think this is very important to highlight.  We may never know what went on, in fact I am probably passed caring.  The club was on a downward spiral, and we as fans acted like a wounded animal.  Lashing out at all and sundry powerless to stop what was happening to our club.  Some took it way too far.  Things were said that can never be taken back.  But we have to forgive and forget.  It was a horrible time but I fully believe that is all behind us and we have moved on at a staggering pace.

But you could just get glimpses of the seeds that Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson had sown last season.  Just glimpses that if we just hung on, found a bit of form, spin the tombola one more time to find something that worked, we might just be ok.  The rest is history.

There feels like a more human side to this club today.  We have a down to earth Chairman.  Many have criticised him, probably the same group of people that will continue to do so in the future, he will never be able to please everyone.   But you can see what he is trying to achieve.  They legacy will be there for years to come.  Yes he has made mistakes, but he has backed this club, poured money in and we are finally reaping the reward.  I think January transfer window is crucial.  I am sure the money and resources will be available. 

We have a down to earth manager.  You can see it in his interviews.  He has an honestly which is refreshing these days.  Ask him an honest question, you will get an honest answer.  He has been through much.  His learning curve has been steep and he has invested heavily in himself, by trying to better himself.  But this feels like the beginning.  You can see the style of football he is trying to instill into the players.  Its exciting to watch.  The high press energy game is working.  These players are good enough on the ball to hurt teams.  But its when we lose possession this team really works.  The effort they put in is fantastic.  It feels like we can beat anyone, when they tick.

We have a down to earth group of players.  I have said before, get things right off the pitch then things will be so much better on it. You can see the togetherness of the squad.  They are all accountable to each other.  Careful recruitment is key.  We need to bring in articulate individuals that not only are good football players, but add value to the collective.  You can see the type of player that MA and LJ have brought in.  They have all come of age this season, the maturity upgrade on last season is very noticeable.

Its a very exciting time to be a fan.  Lord knows we have had it hard.  But I really think we have the right ingredients to get to the next level.

Frankly this lot must be chomping at the bit to play again Saturday!!

Stevo

6 hours ago, reddogkev said:

When does Lee's contract expire?  Definitely extend it again or offer improved terms - I anticipate some serious interest in the summer.

Teams like Boro, Leeds, Villa may think they can poach him from us, unless they accept that we are on par with them.

they're welcome to him. Johnson Out. one swallow doesn't make a summer. 

(kidding just in case I get raped by the OTIB mob) 

I’ve said this before BUT  management is hard... particularly if you’re trying to accommodate ****holes!

Huge congrats to Lee and the team - not only for what they’re doing now, but also for dealing with everything that was going down before, which I’m sure was b.*^^^^ hard work and against all odds.

COYR and may I suggest EVERYONE brings a lucky Curly Wurly to every match from now on.   We’ve proved it works!!! LOVE MY TEAM XX. 

8 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

He has done incredibly well since the end of that particular run.

But unfortunately there are always idiots in the crowd.

One person behind me saying "this is shit" 5 minutes into last nights game.

He must have been a united fan... we started well I thought 

9 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

A special mention for Lee I feel is needed.  He’s come through one hell of a tough time last season which must’ve been difficult for him and his family.  What ever anyone’s views on that situation (all understandable) I’m so glad it’s worked out the way it has.  Football is all about the stories and romance and with Lee we’ve got that in spades. I think he’s really building a special relationship with the fans and can’t wait to see where he might take us.  Well done Lee ! 

Glad you gave him a special mention 

3 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

I disagree we looked awful. 

Obviously we played poorly during some games, but the scary thing for me was that we were playing well and not getting results, I could name 9 games where we were leading (by 2 or 3 goals at times) and lose. 

I think many would remember me berating the players last season in defence of Johnson. I felt he was let down. To get in winning positions he must of been doing something right. 

I don't think it was a case "no light at the end of the tunnel", but the deeper that run went on, I was sat questioning when and how are we going to win, when the performances were ok but still losing.

So glad it's working out. Johnson is the man to take this club forward! I have absolutely no doubt! 

Well, I was thinking amongst other occasions, of the home match against Cardiff and - before he worst of the bad run - the first half against Rotherham away, when I didn't feel that the manager was let down, but rather, particularly against Cardiff, that it was men against boys in the dugout. But lessons appear to have been learned, and it's good to be able to say that.

31 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

He must have been a united fan... we started well I thought 

He was definitely a City fan, his other outbursts gave that away.

Just a complete idiot with no understanding of football. His tirades were less frequent once we went ahead and he then called every single player on the pitch a SYNT when Ibrahimovic equalised, before joining the pitch invasion at the end of the game.

9 hours ago, Neo said:

100% agree with the sentiment and definitely - what a difference a year makes.

BUT - does anybody else feel it is time to forget the past on the 8 game losing streak and stop mentioning it?

The only reason I ask is when I got home last night - eventually - after acting like a 10 year old kid for an hour - I got the old V+ going and decided it was too late to watch the pre-match and the game itself (do that tonight) - instead I will go to the 90th minute - watch the winner and the post match.

Anyway, later on - half way through Lee's SKY interview, I had to pee out the last pint so paused and it was right after the bit where the commentator had asked "how does this feel after the 8 game unbeaten run last year type question".  The actual pause was on Lee rolling his eyes and looking away and it was an image I wish now I had taken a picture of cos it just captured a kind of 'we have just beat one of the best in the world and you have to drag that up again' - all of that was written in this one still image and I could not help feeling really sorry for him.

It happened but it has gone and it is a dark period unlikely to be seen again - certainly not in the championship football era.

Thoughts?

Nothing bad came of it in the end, forgotten forever by me, he was learning and he did say 3 windows 

10 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I agree with your sentiments. However, there are a number of fans who will never take to Lee and as soon as our form drops the knives will be out again. It was the same when he was a player.

2-0 down at Hull and the grumbles started.

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

He has done incredibly well since the end of that particular run.

But unfortunately there are always idiots in the crowd.

One person behind me saying "this is shit" 5 minutes into last nights game.

8 hours ago, RumRed said:

@Thatch35? Just a guess that fits all the above......

9 hours ago, Red Exile said:

Well, I was thinking amongst other occasions, of the home match against Cardiff and - before he worst of the bad run - the first half against Rotherham away, when I didn't feel that the manager was let down, but rather, particularly against Cardiff, that it was men against boys in the dugout. But lessons appear to have been learned, and it's good to be able to say that.

Didn't we lead twice against Cardiff? Only to concede two goals - one being a worldie? 

14 hours ago, man in the middle said:

Me Too,,,,,I’m Man enough to say Mr Lansdown has bigger Bollox than me. FairPlay that team Lee has helped assemble and organises every single weekend is the best Bristol City Team I’ve ever had the privilege to watch.

I also think that bringing in Jamie Mac and Dean Holden has been a masterstroke and their contributions shouldn't be overlooked.

5 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

Didn't we lead twice against Cardiff? Only to concede two goals - one being a worldie? 

I was thinking of the home match in January last season where it seemed to me that Warnock snatched a victory in a way that which made LJ look a bit wet behind the years...or at least that's how I saw it.

Delighted to have been proved wrong this year.

Archived