IGNORED

When Joe Jordan ditched us.

Major Isewater

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We were on the up when JJ upped sticks to take over Hearts .

I believe the lesson was learnt at Ashton Gate because I can't see LJ leaving prematurely. He has the right DNA, so to speak .

We employ staff who buy into the big picture at the club .

I blame the board of that time. They had no ambition and they allowed a great manager make a big mistake and leave us for Hearts. 

3 hours ago, swanker said:

I blame the board of that time. They had no ambition and they allowed a great manager make a big mistake and leave us for Hearts. 

They practically helped him out the door. He was too ambitious for their liking but I am convinced he could have taken us up.

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I believe the lesson was learnt at Ashton Gate because I can't see LJ leaving prematurely. He has the right DNA, so to speak .

So if we lose in the playoffs and say Everton West Ham or Southampton came calling you think Lee wiuld say no ? Why would he do that ?

6 hours ago, swanker said:

Didn’t he want the Scotland job at the time and going to Hearts was seen as the stepping stone to that, and we didn’t want to or couldn’t step in this way. We were very lucky to have Joe, no way could we offer this ambitious manager what he wanted.

4 hours ago, SX227 said:

Personally I was really pleased to see JJ in the crowd vs Manure.

He really must have been torn which team to support.

Looked really well too, which was great.

Had his teeth in too.   :thumbsup:

I’d imagine after living in our fair City for the best part of 30 years and playing/ managing us he’d be rooting for us

4 hours ago, RedM said:

Didn’t he want the Scotland job at the time and going to Hearts was seen as the stepping stone to that, and we didn’t want to or couldn’t step in this way. We were very lucky to have Joe, no way could we offer this ambitious manager what he wanted.

I believe you are correct.

I also seem to recall he had already turned down the opportunity to manage Aston Villa.

12 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

We had small club mentality throughout that period, despite knocking on the door of Div 1.

I think we finished 9th under Smith, but ultimately sold Andy Cole and just tried to 'survive'. I thinknthe scars of the previous decade had taken their toll and rather than be believe we were heading back to 'where we belonged' the exploits of the previous years had convinced the club that div 3 was where we belonged.

5 hours ago, RedM said:

All I can remember is being gutted watching him on telly giving his explanation for leaving and  him nearly being in tears. If his long term ambition was the Scotland job, then it didn’t work out that way. Shame he was allowed to leave. 

19 minutes ago, swanker said:

All I can remember is being gutted watching him on telly giving his explanation for leaving and  him nearly being in tears. If his long term ambition was the Scotland job, then it didn’t work out that way. Shame he was allowed to leave. 

Shows how the game has changed on both sides of the border.

Imagine  leaving a championship club knocking on the door of the prem, to manage hearts.....

8 hours ago, Loon plage said:

So if we lose in the playoffs and say Everton West Ham or Southampton came calling you think Lee wiuld say no ? Why would he do that ?

Because he has unfinished business here.

He is with a club on the up . A top owner who backs him all the way .

One day he will  move on but I can't see that being in the immediate future, certainly not if we lose in the play offs. That would just spur him on .

8 hours ago, Loon plage said:

How many Championship managers (or even players!) have been poached in recent years by PL clubs..  genuinely can’t think of any?

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

We had small club mentality throughout that period, despite knocking on the door of Div 1.

I think we finished 9th under Smith, but ultimately sold Andy Cole and just tried to 'survive'. I thinknthe scars of the previous decade had taken their toll and rather than be believe we were heading back to 'where we belonged' the exploits of the previous years had convinced the club that div 3 was where we belonged.

That was under Jimmy Lumsden. Smith followed Lumsden the following season when we were in the relegation mire, and got us out of it by loaning Andy Cole etc.

9 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

How many Championship managers (or even players!) have been poached in recent years by PL clubs..  genuinely can’t think of any?

Yeah I seem to recall from a few weeks ago that perhaps it's only Chris Hughton (Birmingham to Norwich in 2012) that has been poached from a Champ to Prem team. Staggering.

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

That was under Jimmy Lumsden. Smith followed Lumsden the following season when we were in the relegation mire, and got us out of it by loaning Andy Cole etc.

Thanks for correcting.

Principle is still true though.

10 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Not a chance.

His reaction when the winner went in tells me that. I genuinely think he’s here for the long haul.

And I for one am grateful to him for that. I liked him as a player, was delighted when we got him and even more delighted when he ignored the painted bed sheets and proved the nay sayers wrong.

Passion and belief. Everything and all you need.

Johnson is a City fan now.

He may not be a local, but we are his club. The link from his Dad and his playing days and the fact SL played a huge part in LJ getting the Oldham job (I believe SL was one of his references).

When he left Barnsley for us he called us "his Real Madrid".

He has unfinished buisiness after missing top flight football with us by 90 minutes and a debt to repay after SLs loyalty.

IMO he is here for the forseeable future unless a big club comes in.

Even then I think he may think twice as being a manager is a long career and one failure at a big club- if it's your first time at one- can be all it takes to stop you getting another chance.

I do think LJ would think more than twice about taking a mid-to-low level Prem job if it came up just now tbh.

The strong relationship he has with SL should not be overlooked; I honestly believe he wants to repay the faith shown in him, and at the age he is, time is very much on his side regards future opportunities.

3 hours ago, Clevedon_Red said:

Yeah I seem to recall from a few weeks ago that perhaps it's only Chris Hughton (Birmingham to Norwich in 2012) that has been poached from a Champ to Prem team. Staggering.

'Arry? cant be fagged to look it up, but he hasnt always managed Premier League Teams. Glenn Hoddle left Swindon for Chelsea (to be fair, who wouldn't). Gerry Francis left Gas Central to go to QPR but I think there was a time gap to be fair

2 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

'Arry? cant be fagged to look it up, but he hasnt always managed Premier League Teams. Glenn Hoddle left Swindon for Chelsea (to be fair, who wouldn't). Gerry Francis left Gas Central to go to QPR but I think there was a time gap to be fair

Sorry I meant in recent times. Premier League managers tend to get recycled from club to club or clubs take a punt on foreign managers.

Archived