IGNORED

Bah Humbug, Christmas Grouches Meet here thread

RedM

On 26/12/2017 at 01:04, JamesBCFC said:

My Christmas was the first one where all my Mums childeren were together.

It's been an absolute disaster, my Mum was arrested and my Mums partner tried to kill my brother and swung a glass bottle at my head for trying to break it up.

**** Christmas.

What's that they say about 'Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All Men'  I keep hearing at this time of year... ? 

Oh well Happy New Year anyway.. things can only get better!  

Not sure if I should post here as, in some ways, I love Christmas. But my Dad died on New Year’s Day last year, having declined rapidly throughout the Christmas season and - both last year and this - I’ve been acutely aware of the effect of forced jollity on people who don’t feel jolly at all.

My Mum has done brilliantly on the whole but cards that insist on wishing people a happy Christmas, songs telling people how wonderful this time of the year is and annual meetings with tactless elderly distant relatives who say insensitive things without thinking have all taken their toll.

I don’t hate Christmas but I wish people were more able to be how they are during it without the feeling they are being forced to be happy when that is not how they feel at all.

On 28/12/2019 at 21:05, LondonBristolian said:

Not sure if I should post here as, in some ways, I love Christmas. But my Dad died on New Year’s Day last year, having declined rapidly throughout the Christmas season and - both last year and this - I’ve been acutely aware of the effect of forced jollity on people who don’t feel jolly at all.

My Mum has done brilliantly on the whole but cards that insist on wishing people a happy Christmas, songs telling people how wonderful this time of the year is and annual meetings with tactless elderly distant relatives who say insensitive things without thinking have all taken their toll.

I don’t hate Christmas but I wish people were more able to be how they are during it without the feeling they are being forced to be happy when that is not how they feel at all.

First of all, sorry for your loss......

And I think, as you have explained things, is the reason that so many people dislike / struggle with the holiday season & my personal opinion is that social media also plays such a huge role in this, so many people posting their ‘perfect’ lives when in reality the majority of people’s life’s aren’t perfect & it just makes people feel worse & can eat away at people. 

I did away with all mainstream social media some 4 or 5 years ago because of personal issues that were then made to feel even worse while people carried on pretending that life was great! My life was far from great & when people’s supposed worst thing to deal with was what gravy to have with their Christmas dinner, I had to distance myself & I don’t regret it for a second. Don’t get me wrong, that wasn’t the be all of it but it certainly made me realise who I could depend on from my friends & family circle! And let’s just say, that of over 500 ‘friends’ on social media, I now class less than 20 people as actual friends & as for family, my daughter is the only one left celebrating anything with me!! Of the rest, I don’t miss them & I don’t waste my time thinking about them.

I have regrets, as do most people but putting myself first for once most definitely isn’t one of them!

On 28/12/2019 at 21:05, LondonBristolian said:

Sorry for your loss' I expect you have found that 'firsts' are so hard to deal with, his first birthday that he hasn't been here, your birthday etc but Christmas &. New Year when your are almost forced to be happy are awful, especially if your loss was like yours at exactly this time of year. It does get easier with time, it really does. Of course things will never be the same again but once you have done all the 'firsts' you are more prepared/able to cope with the next time.

Personally my younger sister died aged 23, it would have been her birthday on Boxing Day. its quite a few years ago now but has certainly affected my way I deal with this time of year. I usually manage to be outgoing and 'normal' on the outside, but inside i just want to scream at the world for taking such a beautiful person, my sister and best friend, too early.

Take Care, hope you are thinking of happier times and memories tonight and have plenty of support and people who understand 

M x

17 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

First of all, sorry for your loss......

And I think, as you have explained things, is the reason that so many people dislike / struggle with the holiday season & my personal opinion is that social media also plays such a huge role in this, so many people posting their ‘perfect’ lives when in reality the majority of people’s life’s aren’t perfect & it just makes people feel worse & can eat away at people. 

I did away with all mainstream social media some 4 or 5 years ago because of personal issues that were then made to feel even worse while people carried on pretending that life was great! My life was far from great & when people’s supposed worst thing to deal with was what gravy to have with their Christmas dinner, I had to distance myself & I don’t regret it for a second. Don’t get me wrong, that wasn’t the be all of it but it certainly made me realise who I could depend on from my friends & family circle! And let’s just say, that of over 500 ‘friends’ on social media, I now class less than 20 people as actual friends & as for family, my daughter is the only one left celebrating anything with me!! Of the rest, I don’t miss them & I don’t waste my time thinking about them.

I have regrets, as do most people but putting myself first for once most definitely isn’t one of them!

Totally agree. I have very few people that I have close to me and have distanced myself totally from family members who had a negative influence on my life and feel liberated. I would urge others to do the same without hesitation. 

You have an excellent point about Social media where its pretty much 'look at me,me ME' most of the time, and people put themselves under so much emotional and financial pressure which isn't healthy at all.

Archived