IGNORED

Fairly happy with a point.

Robbored

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Surely an astute and clever coach epitomises those attributes by taking the unorthodox approach of putting a centre half up front? 

It’s essential we had several methods of getting results. Our squad is pretty bare with injuries at the moment so sometimes we’ll have to try things like this.

Yep, another reasonable perception for sure and I have no problem that a point is a point. 

My entire point is that I really dislike adopting such a basic tactic - despite in today's case it actually paid off

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You don't know what 'purist' means? 

Look it up..............:facepalm:

Happy to oblige -

' A purist  is someone who acts solely in a way that is geared towards garnering the attention of other people. The attention they get makes them feel better about themselves, boosts their self-esteem, and it doesn't matter if that attention is good or bad.'

:yawn:

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

purist  is someone who acts solely in a way that is geared towards garnering the attention of other people. The attention they get makes them feel better about themselves, boosts their self-esteem, and it doesn't matter if that attention is good or bad.'

:yawn:

:rofl2br:

Not even close......

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Especially as Cardiff lost but although City managed a point after the tremendous win on Wednesday I was a little disappointed with LJ putting Flint up top  in the second half. To me it was a "another club in the bag"  strategy that we saw from GJ with Jamie McCoombe all those years ago - basic, old fashioned and crude imo.

Sure Flint won the penalty which earned a point but I'd rather have seen City adopt a more creative approach in which to save the game.

i appreciate that a point is a point but as a footballing purist I'd rather not see that "anothe club in bag" strategy approach despite the fact it paid off today.

Flint going up front was a good move. We looked much better. 

17 minutes ago, Lymebayrobin said:

The main tactical point was Hollowhead deciding to sub Sylla & Freeman. QPR lost all forward impetus & let us back into the match. Overall more than happy with a point especially as Cardiff lost.

Holloway had a row with LJ first half from memory. 

After an absolutely sensational memorable performance / result Wednesday today was always going to be a difficult ask. Add the fatigue (imagine if we had extra time) and the injurys i am sorry but walking away from an away game at a hoodoo ground with a point 3 days later i wouldve bitten my own member off for. So i am very happy indeed.

@Robbored It's a team game and at this time of the season with injuries to key players in key positions we have to utilise all the players Inc out of position.

Does it matter if LJ employs L1 tactics or 'Another club in the bag?' it worked today and a point is a great result given the week we have had and the onslaught of the Xmas period. If he did nothing and we had lost I'm sure you would have created another thread about that. Whilst no doubt drawing yet more negative parallels to LJ and (your friend) GJ.

41 minutes ago, Lymebayrobin said:

The main tactical point was Hollowhead deciding to sub Sylla & Freeman. QPR lost all forward impetus & let us back into the match. Overall more than happy with a point especially as Cardiff lost.

Yeh with my non-biased hat on Freeman was probably MOM. His dead ball delivery is as good as it wasn’t for us in L1 and he wasn’t very dangerous today.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Surely an astute and clever coach epitomises those attributes by taking the unorthodox approach of putting a centre half up front? 

It’s essential we had several methods of getting results. Our squad is pretty bare with injuries at the moment so sometimes we’ll have to try things like this.

Precisely this-"horses for courses"..in no way does this represent an abandonment of our philosophy.

It's sometimes about just finding a way,and the 'modus operandi for the last half hour today may have grabbed what could be a huge point come the lovely month of May..

The OP is talking crap. I was there today - what I saw was a change in tactics that totally changed the course of the game and won us a point, nearly three. Not only was Flint totally unplayable on the pitch, it also influenced Hollowheads substitutions which were all reactivate to the tactical change, resulting in QPR just going to pot. Wasn't our tactic similar against Sunderland when Duric came on? I didn't see many complaints then. Without the change we saw today we would have got f@ck all. Good on you LJ! Thanks again, and keep up the good work...

41 minutes ago, BS3City said:

The OP is talking crap. I was there today - what I saw was a change in tactics that totally changed the course of the game and won us a point, nearly three. Not only was Flint totally unplayable on the pitch, it also influenced Hollowheads substitutions which were all reactivate to the tactical change, resulting in QPR just going to pot. Wasn't our tactic similar against Sunderland when Duric came on? I didn't see many complaints then. Without the change we saw today we would have got f@ck all. Good on you LJ! Thanks again, and keep up the good work...

Totally agree. I was there today and whilst Flint going up front posed QPR a different challenge we certainly didn’t start playing hoofball. The reason were successful in the second half is because we moved the ball through midfield much more effectively, Pack was the game changer for me he game on and started a moving the around the pitch which created problems for QPR. In fact I think we were more guilty of playing long ball in the first half and that was why we were so ineffective (imo).

As far as I’m concerned we looked like the only team likely to win in the second half and if that means playing Flint up front to mix it up then so be it. Lets be honest if we didn’t have so many injuries Flint would have never gone up front.

Let’s hope we get a few players back soon and we can get a few extra players in the window. I think we need them if we are going to stay in the play off places. Understandably a few chaps looked pretty knackered today.  

6 minutes ago, cheesleywalksoncider said:

Totally agree. I was there today and whilst Flint going up front posed QPR a different challenge we certainly didn’t start playing hoofball. The reason were successful in the second half is because we moved the ball through midfield much more effectively, Pack was the game changer for me he game on and started a moving the around the pitch which created problems for QPR. In fact I think we were more guilty of playing long ball in the first half and that was why we were so ineffective (imo).

As far as I’m concerned we looked like the only team likely to win in the second half and if that means playing Flint up front to mix it up then so be it. Lets be honest if we didn’t have so many injuries Flint would have never gone up front.

Let’s hope we get a few players back soon and we can get a few extra players in the window. I think we need them if we are going to stay in the play off places. Understandably a few chaps looked pretty knackered today.  

@Robbored - ?

You sure you watched ?

:whistle:

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Especially as Cardiff lost but although City managed a point after the tremendous win on Wednesday I was a little disappointed with LJ putting Flint up top  in the second half. To me it was a "another club in the bag"  strategy that we saw from GJ with Jamie McCoombe all those years ago - basic, old fashioned and crude imo.

Sure Flint won the penalty which earned a point but I'd rather have seen City adopt a more creative approach in which to save the game.

i appreciate that a point is a point but as a footballing purist I'd rather not see that "anothe club in bag" strategy approach despite the fact it paid off today.

Flint up front completely changed the game! 

I assume you weren't at the game? 

Credit to Johnson, most managers wouldn't of dint what he did and if got us a point and we should have had all 3 !!!!!

@Robbored

Are you aware of how many injuries we have? Very happy we got a point- we had to go longer, so be it. 

We've had serious injury issues for weeks now, running on empty in a way- and that game Wednesday will have taken a lot out of the players.

To remind you- and feel free to add more if I have missed any. I know they are not all first teamers but:

• Lucic
  • Pisano
  • Hegeler
  • O'Neil
  • O'Dowda
  • Djuric
  • Diedhiou

And of course, Paterson had to be replaced on the bench.

I make that 4 first teamers with one first reserve (could make Diedihou and Djuric interchangeable in that sense). With 3 squad players who can boost depth a bit.

If we went long to get a point in these circs? Good! Keeps us unbeaten, keeps us ticking over and crucially Cardiff lost so it's a point gained- very much gained.

I think the OP is having issues with his stated, 'Flint is a player of limited footballing ability' viewpoint.

Having nailed his colours to the mast ( a la Gary Johnson) regarding Flint, anything that shows Aden in a positive light is not welcome.

I believe that LJ, DH and Macca have seen enough of Flinty in training to suggest that when we need the option of a big man up front and considering our current position regarding injuries, then he is that option.

Would I like to see it every week? No, not particularly. Does it give us that extra option? Most assuredly. Is it an option when we need to do something different to get back in the game and rescue a point? Well,  on today's evidence, yes.

What is the OP's problem? He's a seeker.

Why am I posting in this thread? Damned if I know. Troll post is troll post.

23 minutes ago, Malbec said:

I think the OP is having issues with his stated, 'Flint is a player of limited footballing ability' viewpoint.

Having nailed his colours to the mast ( a la Gary Johnson) regarding Flint, anything that shows Aden in a positive light is not welcome.

I believe that LJ, DH and Macca have seen enough of Flinty in training to suggest that when we need the option of a big man up front and considering our current position regarding injuries, then he is that option.

Would I like to see it every week? No, not particularly. Does it give us that extra option? Most assuredly. Is it an option when we need to do something different to get back in the game and rescue a point? Well,  on today's evidence, yes.

What is the OP's problem? He's a seeker.

Why am I posting in this thread? Damned if I know. Troll post is troll post.

He's a tiresome WUM. Because he is the ex Chairman (or whatever) of the SC, so ****ing what?

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Robbored

Are you aware of how many injuries we have? Very happy we got a point- we had to go longer, so be it. 

We've had serious injury issues for weeks now, running on empty in a way- and that game Wednesday will have taken a lot out of the players.

To remind you- and feel free to add more if I have missed any. I know they are not all first teamers but:

• Lucic
  • Pisano
  • Hegeler
  • O'Neil
  • O'Dowda
  • Djuric
  • Diedhiou

And of course, Paterson had to be replaced on the bench.

I make that 4 first teamers with one first reserve (could make Diedihou and Djuric interchangeable in that sense). With 3 squad players who can boost depth a bit.

Pretty much everyone is aware of City's long injury list which makes City's results and performances even more impressive and that's down to the man who built the squad - LJ and he's done so in a relatively short time. He's done an impressive job so far and the players he's brought in are because all are capable of playing to his philosophy.

Yesterdays point at Loftus Rd was well earned and well deserved particularly after the high of the Man U win in mid week. My point in the OP is that although putting Flint up top paid off that kind of tactic is something I've never ever liked to see and I do appreciate that LJ felt he didn't have any other option with Djuric being on the crocked list. i just hope he doesn't feel the need to do it very often.

His teams have produced some very cultured football this season and the Boro game springs to mind as a perfect example. However City weren't able to reproduce the same level yesterday for whatever reason and LJ felt in necessary to try something different - I get it! 

Maybe ive become spoilt by seeing the great stuff City have been playing this season but no team can perform fantastically every game so I should temper my expectations!

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Maybe ive become spoilt by seeing the great stuff City have been playing this season but no team can perform fantastically every game so I should temper my expectations!

Nail on the head in the cold light of the morning I think Robbo. To be successful, we have to have more than one way of picking up points and every now and again we will do it ugly. I wasn't there, but going through the different reports it sounds like you perhaps overegged the nature of the second half performance, again maybe from us being spoilt. 

18 hours ago, Robbored said:

Fair comment CA.

I guess I've become accustomed to and enjoyed LJ playing decent football but today it was a 'back to League 1' football which I find basic and crude.

I appreciate that that old fashioned method earned us a point today but I'm really hoping that LJ doesn't use that method too often. To me it's ugly and largely ineffective - and although it paid off today I hope it doesn't become a regular 'tactic'.

he has used the tactic a grand total of once in a team fast running out of options especially up front, what on earth makes you think it might become a regular tactic, we probably would not have got that said point without him doing it, brave of him I would say and definitely not worthy of your criticism.

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

he has used the tactic a grand total of once in a team fast running out of options especially up front, what on earth makes you think it might become a regular tactic, we probably would not have got that said point without him doing it, brave of him I would say and definitely not worthy of your criticism.

I think the point was more a case of 'I hope we continue in our vein and don't get twitchy feet and start reverting to a percentage football type tactic'. #56 is a good post to be fair. 

6 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Nail on the head in the cold light of the morning I think Robbo. To be successful, we have to have more than one way of picking up points and every now and again we will do it ugly. I wasn't there, but going through the different reports it sounds like you perhaps overegged the nature of the second half performance, again maybe from us being spoilt. 

It's deeper and more crucial than even that, it's our new mindset last season that game would have been a nailed on defeat but I believe that most of us thought that although QPR were the better side for all but the first 10 minutes of that half that they weren't that good and there was something in the game for us which there was and we even came close to taking all 3 points.

This season I truly believe that the only result so far that was a huge disappointment is our only away defeat of the season to Birmingham, we should never have lost that game. All other results have been deserved even Millwall and Burton at home fall firmly into the category 'that happens in football' as do our unlikely point at Brentford and our win at Sheff United.

I for one am extremely happy and I honestly expected a long hard season and I am happy to report boy was I wrong, i'm sure that there will one or two more disappointments along the way, but I haven't seen a team that we are not capable of getting a result against in this league, yes Wolves are the stand out team but we scored 3 goals in their backyard.

This is a different BCFC to last season and long may it last.

I would like to add that I am glad that SL has said "don't expect big names in January", let's just keep making sure that the recent due diligence of signings is ongoing and another Tomlinesque signing is not added to rock the team spirit, we don't need ego's.

Archived