Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

Sheffield Wednesday manager gone

With Gary Monk gone too it shows the desperation of the owners to get on the gravy train - as I have said before every season that passes makes it a harder train to board.

We are on the concourse and looking for our platform - let's hope we can get a ticket to ride!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cheshire_red said:

Has there ever been two managers sacked after a game?

Especially when one of them has won  to stay only just outside the play off positions?

1 hour ago, cheshire_red said:

Has there ever been two managers sacked after a game?

Were both sets of fans signing "you'll be sacked in the morning"?

• Haha 2

Bloody hell; Merry Christmas to him!

Not sure if this and Boro jettisoning Monk are good or bad things; both decent squads arguably under-performing, so would prefer neither get in someone who pushes them on.

That said; a more open and competitive top half could help us, in so much as we only have to play each of those sides once again, while the likes of Cardiff, Wolves etc. also have to deal with more competition too.

Say what you want about Championship football but it’s never boring!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samo II said:

Bloody hell; Merry Christmas to him!

Not sure if this and Boro jettisoning Monk are good or bad things; both decent squads arguably under-performing, so would prefer neither get in someone who pushes them on.

That said; a more open and competitive top half could help us, in so much as we only have to play each of those sides once again, while the likes of Cardiff, Wolves etc. also have to deal with more competition too.

Say what you want about Championship football but it’s never boring!

Two clubs who will save money on Christmas presents ! 

• Like 1

Just goes to highlight exactly what a determined and genuine belief SL has in his remarkable faith shown last season. 

A lot of City fans still don’t realise just how fortunate we are! 

Arguably the best run club in the country at this moment in time...?! 

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Don't see either of them making much of a difference frankly.

Yep, but at least Lambert had some from of success as a manager unlike Ancelotti's sidekick. Paul Hurst who's doing a great job at Shrewsbury would be the best option.

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Sheffield Blues have definitely been underachieving.

I’m prepared to be ‘whooshed’ here James, but what’s with your sudden obsession with referring to teams by their kit colour?! I’ve seen you mention both Manc clubs in this way and now you seem to have moved onto the Sheffield clubs?! Is it new ‘street’ talk?!

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m prepared to be ‘whooshed’ here James, but what’s with your sudden obsession with referring to teams by their kit colour?! I’ve seen you mention both Manc clubs in this way and now you seem to have moved onto the Sheffield clubs?! Is it new ‘street’ talk?!

Tbh just laziness with the Sheffield ones, takes less time to type.

With Manchester Red and Blue I was continuing the "use Manchester as they call us Bristol" thing, but wanted to be able to differentiate.

• Like 1
  • Snake 1

Hi Bristol Reds! 

I just feel sad for Carlos really, he's a lovely chap and we've had 2 good seasons under him. It's a real shame it hasn't worked out in the end. 

I can't stand Gary Megson, but he has a cult following amongst Wednesday fans (some of it on Owlstalk is tongue in cheek though). I personally think he comes across as bitter about everything, but was unlucky when we sacked him a few years ago. 

I wouldn't mind Monk too much, Dean Smith has done well at Brentford. Don't want Karanka as the fans would hate his defensive football. I can only apologise in advance for the less intelligent of our fans who'll inevitably be mentioning LJ over the coming weeks. Someone rang Radio Sheffield today to suggest Brendan Rogers :laughcont:

Will be interesting to see what happens next, I think this season is over for us anyway. 

Merry Christmas 

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Hi Bristol Reds! 

I just feel sad for Carlos really, he's a lovely chap and we've had 2 good seasons under him. It's a real shame it hasn't worked out in the end. 

I can't stand Gary Megson, but he has a cult following amongst Wednesday fans (some of it on Owlstalk is tongue in cheek though). I personally think he comes across as bitter about everything, but was unlucky when we sacked him a few years ago. 

I wouldn't mind Monk too much, Dean Smith has done well at Brentford. Don't want Karanka as the fans would hate his defensive football. I can only apologise in advance for the less intelligent of our fans who'll inevitably be mentioning LJ over the coming weeks. Someone rang Radio Sheffield today to suggest Brendan Rogers :laughcont:

Will be interesting to see what happens next, I think this season is over for us anyway. 

Merry Christmas 

:laughcont: Should have seen it coming

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Reading his own tweet about leaving and thanking the fans, I hadn't realised how many Wednesday fans are genuinely sad to see him go. I knew fans were divided but thought it was the popular decision.

Or is it just a case that now the decision is made people can row back a little and be all sentimental and nostalgic? 

Happy Christmas to you! Enjoyed our trips to Sheffield this season and by some measure Wednesday fans are the more decent, although it's a cracking city altogether.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Olé said:

Reading his own tweet about leaving and thanking the fans, I hadn't realised how many Wednesday fans are genuinely sad to see him go. I knew fans were divided but thought it was the popular decision.

Or is it just a case that now the decision is made people can row back a little and be all sentimental and nostalgic? 

Happy Christmas to you! Enjoyed our trips to Sheffield this season and by some measure Wednesday fans are the more decent, although it's a cracking city altogether.

It's a mixture I think, most Wednesday fans agree that it was the correct decision but are appreciative of the last couple of years. We have our moronic element though of course, the ones who think its fine to tweet "**** off" directly to him etc. 

This list frightens me to be honest

Screenshot_20171224-111326.thumb.png.1fff26e6b9e0a7ab366f82c943308cc5.png.cf59964ab85b910447577ed06f81787c.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Owl Visiting said:

It's a mixture I think, most Wednesday fans agree that it was the correct decision but are appreciative of the last couple of years. We have our moronic element though of course, the ones who think its fine to tweet "**** off" directly to him etc. 

Screenshot_20171224-111326.thumb.png.1fff26e6b9e0a7ab366f82c943308cc5.png.cf59964ab85b910447577ed06f81787c.png

Too right. It terrifies me and we`ve got a manager!

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

That's a grim list . A mix of failures  Defensive football and Giggs :dunno: 

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Grayson would be a good fit under current circumstances @Owl Visiting

Yeah I'd take Grayson. Him, Monk or a gamble on Hurst would be my choice from that list.

Horrible feeling it will be Karanka though, he's been linked before and the Chairman will know him.

1 hour ago, Owl Visiting said:

Ryan Giggs AGAIN linked with a manager's position! :bored:

When will this boy finally land a job?

16 minutes ago, Assassin Reid said:

He’s got enough money to bet 50k on himself each time, enough to skew the markets and put himself in the running.  He’s probably stupid enough to do it too.

What an utter shambles this is, will owners never learn you cannot build a team in just a short time, especially in the case of Monk. We have to be the example that pulling the trigger serves only in the main to set you back further. If Monk was good enough a short time ago what has changed so much to warrant his sacking? Boro are just 3 points off top 6 , crazy!! 

But on the other hand Pulis just might make a big difference, probably been in talks and has players lined up.

20 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Can't help but thibe that the Christmas period is a mad time to sack a manager. There is absolutely no time to assess a squad before the transfer window bangs shut in your face. 

I said exactly that when I heard of the double sacking. Yes a manager will have the whole transfer window, but little clue of what he needs so could either get lucky or get in a bigger mess.

@Owl Visitingjust be thankful Pulis is only 20-1 and it might not be you, you don’t deserve him. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RedM said:

I said exactly that when I heard of the double sacking. Yes a manager will have the whole transfer window, but little clue of what he needs so could either get lucky or get in a bigger mess.

@Owl Visitingjust be thankful Pulis is only 20-1 and it might not be you, you don’t deserve him. 

I think he'll be expecting a Premier League job to be honest. The sad thing is he'll probably get one as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Assassin Reid said:

I saw an interview with him the other day which contained the following quote:

"I know now I wasn’t ready when I had those four games in charge at United [as caretaker in 2014], but I’m a lot better qualified to manage now after those two years with Louis [Van Gaal]. That was a fantastic experience.”

But, presumably, he did think he was ready at the time.

In which case, how can he really know he's ready now? It's only hindsight which can tell him that. To be on the safe side, I think a lot of chairman might wait a while longer.

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

To be fair he was often absent for arse kicking competitions. 

NO, I'm sorry..........but it'll be a cold day in Hell before anyone on OTIB outdoes your observation there, Major.

A thousand thanks for that.  A little bit of wee definitely sneaked out when I read that!

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

I saw an interview with him the other day which contained the following quote:

But, presumably, he did think he was ready at the time.

In which case, how can he really know he's ready now? It's only hindsight which can tell him that. To be on the safe side, I think a lot of chairman might wait a while longer.

Someone needs to tell the entitled chump that he needs to work his way up and not to expect to jump straight into a big job as a manager. The arrogance of the man is nauseating.

• Like 2