IGNORED

Is Ashton Gate big enough for top flight?

reddogkev

1 hour ago, AshtonPark said:

I cant see how that is possible with how the ground has been designed etc. You think lansdown has the boxes, the posh seats, exits etc.

The dolman will have the same issues, you cant force the whole of the south stand, plus 75% of the dolman out of the south stand exits.

In today's era with all that has been achieved and what has/can be built, moving the away fans temporarily into an existing part of the ground would be the least of our problems! Of course they could do it. Tons of other clubs share stands between home and away supporters. This literally wouldn't even be close to a blocker in the building of a new stand.

The houses behind the Atyeo on the other hand...

57 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The M32 should go in a tunnel under Clifton and east bounds. Not through the city center :yes:

You appear to have forgotten you're dealing with Bristol City Council. The people who wanted to get rid of Cumberland Basin. The most inept group of bureaucrats perhaps anywhere in the south-west.

I for one look forward to when society caves in on itself and end up in a society based on Mutualism.

3 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

Your honestly nuts mate. How can you move all the houses 20 metres.

3 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

It's possible with modern technique

It certainly IS possible. 

Back in the 1850's and 1860's they raised the entire "downtown" area of Chicago by 4ft without closing any road/building or pavement (sidewalk) and the buildings they raised were pretty big, they were moving half city blocks. Some buildings were even MOVED to another location entirely! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_of_Chicago

If they could do that back then, I'm sure the same technique could be used to move a single row of houses 20 meters.

• Admin
4 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

Has anyone thought, of where away fans will go if they atyeo is knocked down?

There simply isnt the space to put them anywhere, nor security set up for it.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall other clubs getting dispensation to offer reduced away capacity during major redevelopment works, I would expect the same to be available to us, should we need it.

4 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

It's not big enough and will never be.

Russian corruption cost us Ashton Vale and England the 2018 World Cup.

Don't go there in the summer!

What did the Russians do to stop S L building a new stadium at Ashton Vale Tommy,  do tell.  Was it supplying dogs to the dog walkers and their lawyers or something more sinister?

2 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Put the "motorway" in a tunnel and move the park and the housing closer to the bridge

This has 'Clasics' thread written all,over it Tommy

:yes:

Wouldn't it be easier to shove the stadium over a bit (Towards Winterstoke Road) thereby allowing more room for development of the Atyeo

:yawn:

48 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Back in the 1850's and 1860's they raised the entire "downtown" area of Chicago by 4ft without closing any road/building or pavement (sidewalk) and the buildings they raised were pretty big, they were moving half city blocks. Some buildings were even MOVED to another location entirely! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_of_Chicago

If they could do that back then, I'm sure the same technique could be used to move a single row of houses 20 meters.

Your right, it is possible, soon after the war around the 50's the main street in Moscow was widened by approx 30 metres, the 5 floor and some 9 floor buidings either side,  were moved to accommodate this improvement.  So this is not new or not possible.

48 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Wouldn't be a problem for The Gas, a dozen boy scouts with guy ropes, tent pegs and rubber mallets would have the job done in a jiffy... Don't knock The Mem, unlike The Gate I reckon their forward planning has made 'em pretty much future proof!  

Would Imagine Bristol Sport or whichever company name is buying the land around The Gate is called, already have a number of plans in place, I remember David Lloyd saying that plans to redevelop the Atyeo would have to wait until Premiership football had been achieved, presumably to be able to release enough money to fund the purchase of the houses by the park. I think the rumours about club owning most of the houses may have been one of those myths that gradually get bigger the number of times the story gets recirculated on otib, but only just a select few really know. 

I do know that the site where the houses “currently” stand would make an ideal site for some pretty expensive flats, or a hotel ie. view of the park, view of the bridge and that the Lansdown stand appears to be higher than Nelson Mandela house behind the Dolman. Meaning you have flats or a hotel on one side, and a massive stand on the other. The sale of the flats, offsetting the cost of land purchase and stand building. 

As for the houses and the need to buy them, well, money talks and Steve has money. End of

So, would Steve wait for Premiership football to “go for it”?  I would imagine that he’s certainly tempted to go for it now, like never before. There does seem to be a sustained interest in the club along with a “build it and they will come” factor that’s considerably increased the average capacity over the past few years. 

I would love Steve to go for it, but it’s not my train set, and lets face it, his decision making has been pretty spot on recently. We’re lucky to have him. 

Love threads like this, all about dreaming big, nothing wrong with that!!

My four penneth would be - get into bed with the council and knock down the dolman and the flats behind, make one big development with the stand and affordable housing merged in to one like chelski. Purchase the houses round the back of the SS (I’m sure it’d be way more than the two mentioned) and join up with another tier on the SS. Happy days.

The only objection to this I can imagine would be the nimbies trying to get the flats registered as ‘listed’ buildings due to them being part of the cultural heritage of the uk, with their link to Only Fools and Horses Mandela House. Cushty!!!

Why don't we move the motorway directly over the pitch. Big space tunnel kind of thing. Put some perspex in to allow the light through on to the pitch, and make sure all cars produced from this moment onwards weigh no more than 400 kilos. Jobs a good un.

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I wouldn’t fret about it Kev.

If promoted - it would be big enough as it is for the time being. There’s scope to add a bit more capacity if we redeveloped the Atyeo which could take us up to maybe even 30k I imagine.

That would be enough unless somehow we were top 10 premier league.

I'm sorry but in my opinion you are wildly underestimating our potential, we took over 40,000 to a tin pot trophy at Wembley, do you really think playing the likes of arsenal, Chelsea spurs etc, 27,000 would be anywhere near enough, we have 16,000 season ticket holders now, you could easily double that figure if we were in the top flight, can't understand it when people say the ground is easily big enough at the present size no it isn't.

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

Why don't we move the motorway directly over the pitch. Big space tunnel kind of thing. Put some perspex in to allow the light through on to the pitch, and make sure all cars produced from this moment onwards way no more than 400 kilos. Jobs a good un.

Dig the ugly "motorway" on pillars under Ashton Gate and have a hughe parking space under Ashton park

4 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Spot on OTIK, we just have no idea if these tales are true or just tales though. I was told (not ITK at all) that the last 2 were offered a cool £1M as a 'take it or leave it' offer but it's pure pub talk TBH and, like your good self,  I've no idea if there is anything in it at all. 

Bigger than the Hawthorns too (26,850). 

in theory it holds 27,000, though I'm not sure if that is exactly true, we played man u the other night just over 26,000 that is our true capacity at the moment for football, so not really 27,000 is it as far as we are concerned, would be interesting to see Bristol rugby v bath then see if the capacity is truly what they say it is.

Big enough in some respects- e.g. bigger than Hawthorns, Burnley and others.

However- where we differ to these clubs. Yes, they are higher than us now and yes arguably a lot of them have a bigger history- where we diverge however is:

• Big city with a lot less serious football competition around it (compare it to the Midlands and North West for example).
  • Reasonably- not outstandingly but reasonably- wealthy city and surrrounding area. (Compare to the North West, North East, Midlands- plus of course London which although wealthy, has a hell of a lot of sides).
  • Sleeping giant- yes yes we've all heard it before and it's a label that can be applied to plenty of clubs around not just here but Europe arguably. Focusing on purely the UK though, we have a lot more advantages over other places in UK for this.; (Population, relative wealth, lack of major competition around).

Currently for all but the biggest 6 or 7 games and maybe post first season yeah,  probably big enough- but if we start to do well in the PL- say emulate Southampton of recent times- well fair to say we could really grow the fanbase and even if not necessarily diehards, the attendances. Easily- 35-40k maybe? 2 tier Atyeo or have it as a huge 'End' for a start- provided we got green light with planning etc.

My main worry though, would be traditional fans being priced out to new money,  atmosphere could be vastly diluted and we could have a pretty sterile environment. Which would be shit.

Archived