IGNORED

Worst single moment watching City

Aizoon

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

A bit more than four I think, more like six or seven.

The player would probably have been Michael Chopra or maybe Ross McCormick - I can remember the little fat git grinning up at the Atyeo after scoring to this day.

I stayed till the end too!

January 2010. 

5 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

man alive, that Millwall game was my first City heartbreak. Sheringham tore us a new one, but the mad thing was the chances we had we could easily have still won! effectively that match knocked us out of the play-off bracket. evil atmosphere with what felt like thousands in the park after! 

The 'highlights' are up on You Tube if you ever feel like depressing yourself.

4 minutes ago, Malago said:

Mine was the 1909 cup final.  Not only did we lose 1-0, but we ran out of Brown Ale on the way, I lost 3 bob to Aiz playing Rummy and the Charabanc broke down on the A4 at Devizes and we had to walk the last 30 miles home.

I believe it was the worst City moment for one fan, fell out the train on the way home and was sadly killed - his daughter went to school with my Gran.

Interesting one.

Lots of shitty moments and supporting city from the mid 80s on meant i kind of got used to them. They were gut wtenching at times but that's what happens when you follow an avg div 2/3 team and I didn't mind it, I just loved watching city.

I've been mad at city and mangers in my time. But last year was the the only time where I felt I'd almost given up. It wasn't anyone's fault, there was no Pulis figure, it was just disbelief at the freefall we found ourselves in, yet again. I just sat there questioning what was the point to any of it if all we could do was balls up and start over, balls up and start over, balls up and start over......Lots of bright ideas in the past 20 plus years and here we were, yet again. Especiallt when in tbe last 15 years or so, teams who I considered our peers (Bradford, Brighton, Bournemouth, Burnley, Stoke, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Swansea, Cardiff, Charlton, hull, Oldham, Reading, Wigan etc.) had all managed it somehow.

Any who, the moment passed and a bright new future awaits.

1) Losing the Brighton playoff final.  We were just awful

2) Losing 0-6 to Cardiff.  We were just awful

3) Anything and everything to do with S'OD.  He almost sucked the joy out of watching City for me.  Everything he used to say (and sniff) caused me grief (although a lot of it made sense but that's not the point).  S'OD brings to football all the joy of a death shroud.  If we ever play a team he is associated with, I expect to see a deathly mist hanging over the pitch with the sound of church bells peeling a lonely toll.  I'm going slightly grey inside just thinking about him.

3 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Has Danny Wilson ever said, been asked, gone on record, written a book or had published anywhere just exactly what the **** he was thinking with that team set up against Brighton?

I don't think there was a single person who wasn't amazed Lira didn't even make the bench.

wasn't Lita found to have gone out on the lash the night before or summat? remember watching from afar the game on TV and we weren't even at the races. as toothless performance as you're ever likely to see. 

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Seeing Northampton, that’s right Northampton, put 7 past us. 

Agree with that one but here's mine.

Easter Saturday 1960, the usual fight against relegation. Home to Huddersfield. 88 minutes score at 1-1 when Atyeo scores at Covered End with header from a corner.

Two minutes later game ended City 2 Huddersfield 3. Jack Connor who joined us in the following October had scored two goals in a minute.

My first experience of City snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Probably Cardiff at home a few years ago, think we played them a couple weeks before in the FA cup, Gavin Williams scored a late goal.

The 0-6 one though was horrible, cold Tuesday night in February and Cardiff completely taking the piss. McCormack, Chopra, Whittingham, Ledley etc

I hated that Cardiff team.

Brighton in the play-off final. Horrendous performance.

Losing at Wembley in 1987.

The 7-1 defeat at Swansea.

Both games against Wolves in the 1998-1999 relegation season. They thrashed us something like 6-1 at AG (that game when the mascots had a fight). At their place we lost 3-0 - one of their goals was a back pass to Phillips that he missed and it rolled into the net. Embarrassing. 

It wasn’t a defeat, but it felt like it in that same season when WBA equalised against us in about the 10th minute of injury time at the Hawthorns.

6-0 at home to Cardiff.

Going 1-0 down at home to Shrewsbury in the SOD era. We really felt like a club on the wane - the complete opposite to how things feel now.

4 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

I would have to say collectively from play off final until 2013 was the worst years supporting city, never known us to be so bad at AG.

Worst moment? Could pick any game between 2009 and 2013 really but losing to Swindon in League cup who were 2 leagues below us at the time was pretty miserable.

What worse than 05 or the Wilson years. Perpetual frustration at losing play offs or finishing 7th . 

My worst Brighton 04 . I got up that morning and a seagull had crapped all over my car. It was not a good omen. Stuck in a traffic jam on the way back with a bus load of Brighton fans in front. Waving plastic seagulls and popping champagne corks. 

Perversely enjoying this thread too.

The Hull p/o defeat has to be the worst one I attended (pet rabbit was killed later that night too!)

Although, as many have said, the Brighton defeat was probably more galling. Perhaps due to it being such a tame end to a highly enjoyable era for me.

The 0-3 at Trumpton would seem to be a front runner and I remember not enjoying the ensuing playground banter.

Would love to see a poll on this; there is certainly no end of candidates.

Archived