IGNORED

Beaner/Beano (not Beanie)

thattommyblack

Famous for thick glasses, performing an odd shuffle dance (usually by request) and an amazing memory for city scores and scorers. 

Urban myth or possibly actual fact says Danny Wilson offended him personally during his time in charge, which led to a self imposed boycott of the Gate. 

I seem to recall he came from pucklechurch/mangotsfield area?

Anyone know if he's still about?

Yeah, Beano was a regular face in the 90’s at away grounds. Certainly an incredibly nerdy chap but he always had fun with us when we asked him to dance. 

Not seen him for years. Nor that April las who was always on coach 2 as well. Chirrrps. 

wow, this is a blast from the past and takes me right back to the 90s when I was going up and down the country. Always remember him with a plastic carrier bag full of mysterious goodies. How the hell did he fall out with Danny Wilson!? 

As an aside, I remember a hilarious thread on here during which there was a lot of Beanie / Beano confusion that led to all kinds of crossed wires and colourful words :D 

3 hours ago, DANWRENBCFC4LIFE said:

I remember an away cup where we took 1 fan in the 90’s, it was probably him 

shrewsbury penalty shootout, leyland daf or whatever it was called then! in our defence, we had played up there about two weeks previously in the league and got stuffed 4-1. had loads up for the league match, probably about half the total attendance in fact, can't blame anyone for giving the cup one a wide berth! 

Great to hear some of you remember him, I remember the carrier bag which if I recall correctly had the primary function of protecting his match day programme. I think he was a lot older than he looked, and still lived with his folks. Really strange how he suddenly vanished from the city scene, with the Danny Wilson story being the only form of explanation. 

Would love to think he's still about somewhere, and still supporting the reds.

3 hours ago, DANWRENBCFC4LIFE said:

I remember an away cup where we took 1 fan in the 90’s, it was probably him 

I think that’s an urban myth about there being 1 away fan, isn’t it (and one especially that the Gas like to quote)?

I think there was a thread on here about it a year or two ago. The Evening Post reported that there was 1 away fan; I think what happened is that there was 1 fan on the terrace behind the goal, and about 300-400 other City fans in the stand to the side of the pitch. 

Even for some of our further flung LDV / JPT early round games, we always take a couple of hundred (memories stirred of Boston United, extra time and a pitch invader when we scored the winner back in 2002). 

1 minute ago, North London Red said:

I think that’s an urban myth about there being 1 away fan, isn’t it (and one especially that the Gas like to quote)?

I think there was a thread on here about it a year or two ago. The Evening Post reported that there was 1 away fan; I think what happened is that there was 1 fan on the terrace behind the goal, and about 300-400 other City fans in the stand to the side of the pitch. 

Even for some of our further flung LDV / JPT early round games, we always take a couple of hundred (memories stirred of Boston United, extra time and a pitch invader when we scored the winner back in 2002). 

I find it very believable - as mentioned earlier, this was away at Shrewsbury in the first round of the LDV, a team we'd played a cpl of weeks earlier in the league and got tonked 4-1 by! not a patch on the 80s memories some people have, but there were also some dark periods in the 90s when  the team / club appeared to be taking determined steps backwards. Personally remember many dire away followings, for instance, Palace on a Tuesday night in the driving sleet and snow. There couldn't have been more than a 100 of us huddling together on a terrace that held nearly 4,000! Of course, it goes without saying we got smashed 4-1 or something :D 

4 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I find it very believable - as mentioned earlier, this was away at Shrewsbury in the first round of the LDV, a team we'd played a cpl of weeks earlier in the league and got tonked 4-1 by! not a patch on the 80s memories some people have, but there were also some dark periods in the 90s when  the team / club appeared to be taking determined steps backwards. Personally remember many dire away followings, for instance, Palace on a Tuesday night in the driving sleet and snow. There couldn't have been more than a 100 of us huddling together on a terrace that held nearly 4,000! Of course, it goes without saying we got smashed 4-1 or something :D 

I could be wrong but I think there was a post on here from someone who was at the Shrewsbury game, saying that the ‘1 fan’ story came from the Evening Post report of the game, but was in fact inaccurate. 

I know there are a few City fans who haven’t missed a game for the best part of 30 years - several of them are on CATS coach 1 every week - so although I don’t disagree at all that we may have had some shockingly low away followings over the years, I equally find it impossible to believe that our away following was only one for that particular game (unless the fans I’ve spoken to on coach 1, who claim not to have missed a game since the 80s, are telling porkies). 

2 minutes ago, North London Red said:

I could be wrong but I think there was a post on here from someone who was at the Shrewsbury game, saying that the ‘1 fan’ story came from the Evening Post report of the game, but was in fact inaccurate. 

I know there are a few City fans who haven’t missed a game for the best part of 30 years - several of them are on CATS coach 1 every week - so although I don’t disagree at all that we may have had some shockingly low away followings over the years, I equally find it impossible to believe that our away following was only one for that particular game (unless the fans I’ve spoken to on coach 1, who claim not to have missed a game since the 80s, are telling porkies). 

fair do - it's certainly a curious story with many potential holes, though I love the idea that it was just poor old beano stood behind the goal :D 

56 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

shrewsbury penalty shootout, leyland daf or whatever it was called then! in our defence, we had played up there about two weeks previously in the league and got stuffed 4-1. had loads up for the league match, probably about half the total attendance in fact, can't blame anyone for giving the cup one a wide berth! 

I remember listening on the radio and they said there was just 1 fan on his lonesome. They even had the shoot out that end

7 hours ago, poland_exile said:

The one fan is a myth as I was there. The person behind the goal was a ball boy. They put City fans in the Main Stand.

I worked with him for a while, until he was sacked.  

He is a bit autistic but had incredible powers of recall.  If he knew your birthday and you asked him what it was 6 months later, not only would he tell you the date but also what day of the week you were born on.  He could also remember weather on certain days.

2 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

The one fan is a myth as I was there. The person behind the goal was a ball boy. They put City fans in the Main Stand.

I was also there -There were a couple of us in the away end, but due to the shite weather there were about 2-300 in the side stand- bloody awful game though.

The myth was propagated by the S*n who ran a match report the next day, although they didn' say it was a solitary supporter

17 minutes ago, thattommyblack said:

Cheers guys, title edited to say Beaner. Where did you work with him if you don't mind me asking, that must of been a hoot! I remember someone explaining his ability to remember birthdays during an away FA cup tie at Bornmouth in the mid 90's!  

I was a civil servant and he was employed on a short fixed term contract. He was pretty hopeless and his contract was not renewed. 

He always wore a light grey polyester suit and I remember him in a game of statues at an office Xmas party.  He threw some serious shapes and he finished up with his suit inside out.  He was really miffed when he didn't win.

17 minutes ago, tompo said:

I was a civil servant and he was employed on a short fixed term contract. He was pretty hopeless and his contract was not renewed. 

He always wore a light grey polyester suit and I remember him in a game of statues at an office Xmas party.  He threw some serious shapes and he finished up with his suit inside out.  He was really miffed when he didn't win.

Cheers for sharing, great to hear about Beaner outside of city life! Surely someone must know what he's up to now!!??

1 hour ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I remember back in the late 90s or early 2000s going with my mate to Tranmere and him just wandering up and down the terraces with a plastic bag of some description. Must have been early-mid twenties then? God knows. Could never tell.

I can always imagine him being left well alone by another team's lads at a sketchy away game like Wall or Cardiff - his sheer fruitcakery was something to behold.  

4 hours ago, tompo said:

love this story, sounds like the basis of a sitcom script :D 

5 hours ago, eastonboy said:

I was also there -There were a couple of us in the away end, but due to the shite weather there were about 2-300 in the side stand- bloody awful game though.

The myth was propagated by the S*n who ran a match report the next day, although they didn' say it was a solitary supporter

I'm very happy to stand corrected! ffs, all these years I've bought into this on account of a rumour fanned by The Sun... :facepalm:

Archived