IGNORED

Fan Arrested for Drinking in view of the pitch

Mr Popodopolous

Obviously the law is the law and it's technically within but it's total overkill and bullshit.

Assuming it was seen on CCTV or a police officer spotted it etc. We feel like quite a heavily policed ground- unjustifiably so- but anyway if a steward politely requests back to concourse with drink it's better in the long run because some **** in the control room or busybody police officer may well nick- or refer to the police- the individual in question etc.

It'll be newbies probably, people who either got on board after or those who got half season tickets for Manchester quarter final not quite getting it yet.

@ZiderEyed Couldn't agree more! The fair approach- in the context of the law as it is- maybe send them back to the concourse to swig it or something even less draconian- but a criminal offence??

Maybe when they've dealt with that they could finally turn up to collect evidence from the theft of £2000 worth of stuff at my house last month.

Most crime the police can't be arsed with these days. I don't care if nice people work within the service. The service is criminally shit. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It'll be newbies probably, people who either got on board after or those who got half season tickets for Manchester quarter final not quite getting it yet.

@ZiderEyed Couldn't agree more! The fair approach- in the context of the law as it is- maybe send them back to the concourse to swig it or something even less draconian- but a criminal offence??

Imagine it, little old dear, goes down to get a pint, queues for ages before she goes back up to her seat for the second half, takes a cool, crisp sip of gold, and BAM. Cops are there, blue sirens, get the cuffs on her and send her to Dartmoor.

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Imagine it, little old dear, goes down to get a pint, queues for ages before she goes back up to her seat for the second half, takes a cool, crips sip of gold, and BAM. Cops are there, blue sirens, get the cuffs on her and send her to Dartmoor.

Complete joke, isn't it.

Joke downplays it too much actually- disgrace a better word.

12 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

I was shocked at the amount of people bringing beer back to their seats on boxing day at the gate. I put it down to daytrippers not knowing better...

Stewarding was a little on the light side, and there was almost a fight in the south stand to which the stewards seemed oblivious too! :cool: 

A couple of chaps in the LS beneath our section brought their pints in pre-game.  Our steward leaned over, asked them to go back out, they ignored her.  She asked again and they moved on.

Surely you can see the pitch when sipping on champagne from the corporate hospitality boxes?? But yea totally agree it’s a disgrace!! Rugby fans can do what they want, football fans get treated like scum in this country. No drinking on the coach to a game or at your seat, I actually think behaviour at football would improve if people were treated humanely as opposed to like animals.

58 minutes ago, Packman said:

Surely you can see the pitch when sipping on champagne from the corporate hospitality boxes?? But yea totally agree it’s a disgrace!! Rugby fans can do what they want, football fans get treated like scum in this country. No drinking on the coach to a game or at your seat, I actually think behaviour at football would improve if people were treated humanely as opposed to like animals.

I've been to a fair few rugby games and trust me when I say this. I see far more drunk people at Rugby than I do football and they act like complete idiots.

The culture in rugby seems to be get drunk as fast as you can and drink as much as you can.

The actual rugby comes second to drinking it seems.

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I've been to a fair few rugby games and trust me when I say this. I see far more drunk people at Rugby than I do football and they act like complete idiots.

The culture in rugby seems to be get drunk as fast as you can and drink as much as you can.

You need a drink to sit through most rugby games 

I said on another thread about pitch invasions that stuff like this shouldn’t be illegal, why should having a pint in view of the pitch effect someone’s criminal record? They aren’t causing harm to anyone, they aren’t intent on causing trouble. It should be down to the club to take action, FA can put the legislation in place and if clubs don’t act upon it, clubs put in place banning orders or fines to culprits, they get slapped with a hefty fine or deducted points. 

Theres just no need for a matter so petty to go to court and up effecting someone’s career or future?

9 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

I said on another thread about pitch invasions that stuff like this shouldn’t be illegal, why should having a pint in view of the pitch effect someone’s criminal record? They aren’t causing harm to anyone, they aren’t intent on causing trouble. It should be down to the club to take action, FA can put the legislation in place and if clubs don’t act upon it, clubs put in place banning orders or fines to culprits, they get slapped with a hefty fine or deducted points. 

Theres just no need for a matter so petty to go to court and up effecting someone’s career or future?

Agreed........Makes the Police statistics looks good though doesn't it........the more "nicks" you get, the more praise you get. Promotion up the Rozzer ladder is always that bit nearer then. :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Packman said:

Your last remark has also long been proven; removal of the caged fencing we used to endure.

And talking of bad behaviour... Cricket players and fans seem to be where football was 30 years ago.

The no alcohol to your seat though is nothing new; it was and remains policy at the Emirates since the stadium opened.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've seen this happening ALL season in the South stand Pop.  Don't think it's anything to do with Newbies . Stewards just turning a blind eye so frequently it just becomes the norm! ( until the OB spot it of course. ) 

5 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Exactly. I play spot the person at the match without a pint, and it’s hard to win that game. They sit and chat all through the match, you can hear a murmur all through the game, there is no focus as there is when at football. They occasionally get a bit excited when Bristol score a try or something, but don’t jump up to celebrate, either they are too pissed,  don’t want to spill their pint or can’t be arsed. The rugby is secondary, it’s just one big piss up and I honestly feel sorry for the players at times, they certainly don’t have the full attention of the crowd.

Although I don’t think it’s right at all that football fans can’t bring a drink to their seats I am very glad it doesn’t happen. Rugby fans are constantly out of their seats either going to and from the bar or emptying their bladders. The crowds aren’t as big so it’s easier for them to move and get in the way of others, who pretty much aren’t watching the game anyway.

Imagine if that was a packed football match, now that would cause some serious trouble. Imagine if a bloke was making his way back to his seat carrying 4,6 or even 8 pints (see that regularly) and we scored, there would be mayhem as people couldn’t see and pints would go everywhere, and 8 pints would cripple anyone financially. Sorry but I’m happy Football is booze free for those reasons. Call me selfish if you like, but I’ve seen enough rugby matches to realise I don’t want it at football. 

That’s an absolute disgrace, fancy unwittingly walking into the ground with a pint and immediately facing the prospect of arrest and a banning order...

Or, perhaps, that isn’t quite what happened and it’s just the telling of the story that makes it feel so wrong? 

Here’s an example:

”Football Fan banned from driving for life for using bus lane”

That seems a bit harsh doesn’t it? But  when examined is actually:

”Man with existing football banning order attempts to evade police by driving at speed, in stolen car, on 3 wheels, down a bus lane, knocking over and killing an OAP”

If anyone fancies a wager with me, I’d happily gamble that either side of “drinking in view of pitch-side”, this particular “defendant”  behaved less than compliantly than would be acceptable. 

8 hours ago, Packman said:

You still can't drink in the boxes if the pitch is in view. The drinking has to be done away from the windows.

14 minutes ago, Paddy31 said:

You still can't drink in the boxes if the pitch is in view. The drinking has to be done away from the windows.

What if you're REALLY tall (which I'm not so no self-incriminating going on here officer)....and you can still see the far side of the pitch when stood in the box at the furthest point away from the window?

Close your eyes and sip? :yes:

9 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Maybe when they've dealt with that they could finally turn up to collect evidence from the theft of £2000 worth of stuff at my house last month.

Most crime the police can't be arsed with these days. I don't care if nice people work within the service. The service is criminally shit. 

Totally agree police find it easy to arrest a football fan for anything yet get a assault on the city centre which happens every weekend or a burglary then they do nothing ,totally target football fans , how many of those rugby fans got nicked fighting in stand last season NON 

19 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

What if you're REALLY tall (which I'm not so no self-incriminating going on here officer)....and you can still see the far side of the pitch when stood in the box at the furthest point away from the window?

Close your eyes and sip? :yes:

Not sure what it’s like at the gate but The Company I work for has a box at Old Trafford which I have been to a few times, as soon as the teams come out the blinds come down so you can’t be seen from the pitch.  

You then have to take the decision as to whether you keep on drinking/eating and watch on the TV or pop back into the box whenever you want a sip! 

57 minutes ago, Port Red said:

Not sure what it’s like at the gate but The Company I work for has a box at Old Trafford which I have been to a few times, as soon as the teams come out the blinds come down so you can’t be seen from the pitch.  

You then have to take the decision as to whether you keep on drinking/eating and watch on the TV or pop back into the box whenever you want a sip! 

Yes I have also used a box at OT and same happened.

1 hour ago, oldstandrobin said:

So as an old supporter of many years, watching in The Lansdown in the winter and I get my hip flask out to warm the cockles with a drop of medicinal rum ( like Unc in Only Fools), does that make me a criminal ? Interesting to know answer to that one.

Strictly speaking yes. :blink:

Archived