IGNORED

The Bristol City v Wolverhampton Wanderers Match Day Thread 25

I also dislike Wolves for unknown reasons, maybe the kit, and remember being delighted when the Baggies pipped them in 2001. In later years, meeting a particularly whingy whiney pair of Wolvo's at university didnt improve my thoughts.

They are deservedly top but how great will it be to breach 50 before the year is out and also 2 points per game for the first time in this division since... well who knows when.

28 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

If we win today, and Derby do likewise, I think Wolves fans will suddenly be looking back over their shoulder. 

They aren’t champions yet.

A hammering in front of the watching hordes will definitely knock their confidence a bit .

Will they be afraid of us or will they come here to put us back in our place ?

I have a good feeling about today , even with our injuries and fatigue.

Let's narrow the gap and put a little doubt in the backs of their old gold minds .

COYR. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I have a horrible feeling we are going to be battered today. 

Hoping our boys come through it unscathed.

3-2 to Wolves...

I’m sure you predict we lose or draw every week :P

I think this’ll be a tough game. Namely because we’ve had such an intense fortnight of football and such a thin squad. We tend to raise our game against better opposition in big occasions so I wouldn’t write us off.

Oh, and it’s a huge game for us being shown on Sky - lump on Joe Bryan to score anytime. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

Great opener as always, Hav. I too remember the Coventry match - it was the first one I took my son to see at Ashton Gate - what a start! Sadly he remains a Leeds fan (it's where he was born so I can't begrudge someone who follows their home side). Contarily to most on here, I've always had a soft spot for Wolves - must come from being a fan of Billy Wright when he was captain of England.

Fear a defeat but on balance going for a 2-2 draw

COYR

• Thanks 1

always had a bit of a "soft spot" for Wolves to be honest, but Molineux was the first ground my Dad took me to. Wolves V Leeds. Wolves lost 2-1, I also used to watch 'em on Star Soccer on a Sunday - Star Soccer covered all the games for Midlands clubs. Blame it on Geographic accident if you want.

I'd agree, Wolves look nailed on for promotion this season, but Sween's Crystal Ball sees 3 points for City this evening. City played well at Molineux earlier this evening, and a quick look at Wolves fans forum suggests they aren't looking forward to a trip to Bristol today. Prediction: City 2-1

Said it on here many times before, but I despise Wolves with every fibre in my body. Loathe them more than just about anyone. Like some others, reasons aren't always known to me, but mostly experiences at Molineux and elsewhere with their fans. I'm already dreading the thought of them all waving their adopted Portugal flags in the away end today (which they appear to be doing this season) - it makes the stomach sick and the heart sink. No conflict for me, just added repulsion. :nono: 

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Olé said:

Said it on here many times before, but I despise Wolves with every fibre in my body. Loathe them more than just about anyone. Like some others, reasons aren't always known to me, but mostly experiences at Molineux and elsewhere with their fans. I'm already dreading the thought of them all waving their adopted Portugal flags in the away end today (which they appear to be doing this season) - it makes the stomach sick and the heart sink. No conflict for me, just added repulsion. :nono: 

No need to sit on the fence so much, tell us how you really feel!

:clapping:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Olé said:

So when Section 82 start chanting...'You're just a small Spanish Provence'...I'll be guessing you started it mate? ;-) :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
20 minutes ago, Olé said:

I too have a dislike for Wolves fans dating back to a pasting received at Molineux  in 1972 * after the Uefa Cup Final against Tottenham .

* not one to hold grudges but on this occasion totally justified.

On a happier note I note their is a close link between their former chairman and Bristol  - so well played Sir Jack 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-30809945

Would fancy our chnaces but looking at the injuries list on the main web site now includes Baker & Pato added to the list of long term injuries. The lads have done fantastic to keep putting on performances whilst carrying niggling injuries due to the other players out, but not being able to rest players for certain matches I fear will be exposed tonight. 

Gary O'Neil - knee injury
Famara Diédhiou - knee injury
Jens Hegeler - knee injury
Eros Pisano - hamstring injury
Callum O'Dowda - ankle injury
Nathan Baker - hamstring injury
Jamie Paterson - hamstring injury

Milan Djuric - operation (not on list for some reason)

Unbelieable list when you consider they would all be on the pitch or bench

1 hour ago, Atyeo's lift said:

Great opener as always, Hav. I too remember the Coventry match - it was the first one I took my son to see at Ashton Gate - what a start! Sadly he remains a Leeds fan (it's where he was born so I can't begrudge someone who follows their home side). Contarily to most on here, I've always had a soft spot for Wolves - must come from being a fan of Billy Wright when he was captain of England.

Fear a defeat but on balance going for a 2-2 draw

COYR

2 all for me £5  at 12/1. Glad to lose if we win!!

49 minutes ago, Olé said:

You cant beat an irrational hatred Ole! Mine is Chelsea, or is that not irrational?

16 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Would fancy our chnaces but looking at the injuries list on the main web site now includes Baker & Pato added to the list of long term injuries. The lads have done fantastic to keep putting on performances whilst carrying niggling injuries due to the other players out, but not being able to rest players for certain matches I fear will be exposed tonight. 

Gary O'Neil - knee injury
Famara Diédhiou - knee injury
Jens Hegeler - knee injury
Eros Pisano - hamstring injury
Callum O'Dowda - ankle injury
Nathan Baker - hamstring injury
Jamie Paterson - hamstring injury

Milan Djuric - operation (not on list for some reason)

Unbelieable list when you consider they would all be on the pitch or bench

Its the last 3 that are scary. Two of those saved LJ from having to tell them they weren't in the match day squad every week!

Best team in the league, and given what they have spent so far, should be.

Keep thinking with our injuries the next game will be our 'bridge to far' and been proven wrong each time. Their form has not been steller last five games, but includes four clean sheets, so hard to beat.

Deep down do not think either manager will be too disappointed with a draw, so have gone 1-1.

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I hope on this festive and new year weekend everybody has enjoyed a warm, hearty and joyful Christmas. I was pipped to the post with the Boxing day match day and was going to briefly reflect on my first game as a City fan so I will do it now; the 5-0 win over Coventry City in 1978 when I was a nipper. There were 22,354 at the old Ashton Gate watching in awe at Joe Royle banging in the goals. A remarkably similar crowd, 23,116, watched us beat Reading earlier this week. I truly believe City will be back in the top flight of English football very soon. Interestingly Royle scored in every round of the League Cup in the year our next cup opponents won the trophy, 1977. More on that story soon.

City played Wolves six times in our last ascent and journey to the old First Division. And like our overall record against todays opponents we did not fair too well, losing four of them and only winning once. In fact overall we have won just 15 games against a Wolves tally of 35. We have never played Wolves on December 30th and regardless of that, records count for nothing. This season Jamie McAllister 'saw huge positives' from City's 3-3 draw at Molineux on September 12th in what for Wolves was a rather poor attendance of just 23,000; something City will very likely surpass this evening. The fixture is poised to be a cracker.

The timing of it, along with Cardiff City very gracefully doing their bit to ensure it is a top of the table clash, battling it out live for national and international television viewing pleasure, could not have been better scripted. This is the pride of the West Country versus the mining heartland of the Black Country. This is the stable, long term investment vision of a Bristolian versus the splash the cash get promoted fast Hong Kong Chinese Fosun Group majoring in insurance and investments. Fosun’s ultimate vision is to provide clients with a one-stop solution integrating wealth, health and happiness. Lofty ambitions indeed.

On the 20th of December this year they bought out Asahi's stake in Tsingtao Beer for HK$6.6 billion; Are they expecting an excuse to celebrate in the field of sport anytime soon? It does look highly likely that Wolves will be playing Premier League football next season where they rightly feel they deserve to be having spent the bulk of their existence yet, like us, they did reside for 2 seasons in Division 4 in the 1980's. We missed out playing them.

As a youngster I never really liked Wolves and reflecting back on that now I cannot really understand why. I had a generally positive feeling toward West Brom and Aston Villa and broadly neutral with Birmingham City but Wolves held a rather unhealthy dislike in my mind. Bizarre, I must say. Perhaps, as a child, I found the colour of their kit repulsive and in later years I think that was rather cemented when Steve Bull would terrorise defences with a clearly washed out 'gold' shirt. Strange how certain obscure and unimportant things remain in the mind and taint or twist our view of things and so it remains. I was rather sad when Villa and the Baggies fell into Chinese hands but somewhat more sanguine when Wolves went the same way. Birmingham had long fallen and was a bemusement when Carson Yeuong was shackled by the Hong Kong authorities. The West Midlands is all Chinese now save for Jeff Bonser's Walsall; with their neighbours all gone the unlikely prospect of a third tier team falling into foreign hands, especially Chinese, has perhaps increased marginally. Hold out Jeff!

Fair play to the new owners of Wolves though, buying a club for £45 million and heavily investing in a manager and players; for one West Midlands club it seems to be going according to plan which is a lot more one can currently say for Birmingham, West Brom and even Aston Villa. The day when football clubs are predominantly owned by people who hail from these shores may have gone and we can lament that at will but, pride aside, bringing money into England can only be good. We must only hope that President Xi's aim for China to invest and dominate the game of football does not mean taking control of overseas leagues as well, however, I fear it might and we should at least be wary of it. In the meantime we can but beat these foreign owned scoundrels on the pitch. I hope that includes today.

Enjoy the game folks, I certainly will; let us roar the team on to a deserved victory and move the club front and centre.

And a very happy new year to you all. 

Condensed Version

Wolves:

Long live Jeff's Walsall

City 2-1

I too don't like Wolves, obviously there was the game with the mascot fight and them giving us a drubbing. My reason for not liking them was when I went up there, they attacked the away end when we were coming out, no reason for it and police didn't react for quite a while. Not surprised by the policing either when they instructed the bar we were in to stop serving us hours before kick off and no explanation. Won't be going back there!

Surprisingly I am not worried too much about this evening, I can’t see us losing, that obviously doesn’t mean I think we will win!

The spirit amongst the players and very importantly the crowd is very positive, I don’t think Wolves will be looking forward to this one.

The atmosphere is going to be intense and with the predicted rain it is going to be a real test for them.

From what I have read Millwall did not give them a moments peace on Tuesday and that is what we do too, so......