IGNORED

The Bristol City v Wolverhampton Wanderers Match Day Thread 25

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

80110ck5. There is a plastic match on at the same time. Manure are playing the Scummers, so the Merlin will be infested with Plastics wanting to see their crap. 
May end up watching the game at home.

In my pub in rooksbridge I've told the plastics to Foxtrot Oscar into Burnham as there is only one big game at 5.30 today. 

• Like 2

Really looking forward to a win to stay in 2nd,  but as others have said,  I'm also afraid that our ever lengthening injury list will catch us out today.  Hope I'm proved wrong and the ones we have left do the business and show everyone watching throughout the World,  that we are not only capable of beating Man U,  but the leaders of the Championship as well. So FT  hopefully 2 - 1 to City,  so COYR's

• Like 1

It’s gonna be a toughie but you’ve gotta keep the faith so I’m plumping for a 2-1 win for the mighty reds. I hope this isn’t a jinx, but the football we’ve been playing is too good for this league, and teams such as Wolves and ourselves have earned the right to be in the Premiership. I still think we’ve got the upper hand in this game, home advantage, let’s tear the Wolves apart, nick 3 points from them and take advantage of Cardiff’s downfall last night. COYR!

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I hope on this festive and new year weekend everybody has enjoyed a warm, hearty and joyful Christmas. I was pipped to the post with the Boxing day match day and was going to briefly reflect on my first game as a City fan so I will do it now; the 5-0 win over Coventry City in 1978 when I was a nipper. There were 22,354 at the old Ashton Gate watching in awe at Joe Royle banging in the goals. A remarkably similar crowd, 23,116, watched us beat Reading earlier this week. I truly believe City will be back in the top flight of English football very soon. Interestingly Royle scored in every round of the League Cup in the year our next cup opponents won the trophy, 1977. More on that story soon.

City played Wolves six times in our last ascent and journey to the old First Division. And like our overall record against todays opponents we did not fair too well, losing four of them and only winning once. In fact overall we have won just 15 games against a Wolves tally of 35. We have never played Wolves on December 30th and regardless of that, records count for nothing. This season Jamie McAllister 'saw huge positives' from City's 3-3 draw at Molineux on September 12th in what for Wolves was a rather poor attendance of just 23,000; something City will very likely surpass this evening. The fixture is poised to be a cracker.

The timing of it, along with Cardiff City very gracefully doing their bit to ensure it is a top of the table clash, battling it out live for national and international television viewing pleasure, could not have been better scripted. This is the pride of the West Country versus the mining heartland of the Black Country. This is the stable, long term investment vision of a Bristolian versus the splash the cash get promoted fast Hong Kong Chinese Fosun Group majoring in insurance and investments. Fosun’s ultimate vision is to provide clients with a one-stop solution integrating wealth, health and happiness. Lofty ambitions indeed.

On the 20th of December this year they bought out Asahi's stake in Tsingtao Beer for HK$6.6 billion; Are they expecting an excuse to celebrate in the field of sport anytime soon? It does look highly likely that Wolves will be playing Premier League football next season where they rightly feel they deserve to be having spent the bulk of their existence yet, like us, they did reside for 2 seasons in Division 4 in the 1980's. We missed out playing them.

As a youngster I never really liked Wolves and reflecting back on that now I cannot really understand why. I had a generally positive feeling toward West Brom and Aston Villa and broadly neutral with Birmingham City but Wolves held a rather unhealthy dislike in my mind. Bizarre, I must say. Perhaps, as a child, I found the colour of their kit repulsive and in later years I think that was rather cemented when Steve Bull would terrorise defences with a clearly washed out 'gold' shirt. Strange how certain obscure and unimportant things remain in the mind and taint or twist our view of things and so it remains. I was rather sad when Villa and the Baggies fell into Chinese hands but somewhat more sanguine when Wolves went the same way. Birmingham had long fallen and was a bemusement when Carson Yeuong was shackled by the Hong Kong authorities. The West Midlands is all Chinese now save for Jeff Bonser's Walsall; with their neighbours all gone the unlikely prospect of a third tier team falling into foreign hands, especially Chinese, has perhaps increased marginally. Hold out Jeff!

Fair play to the new owners of Wolves though, buying a club for £45 million and heavily investing in a manager and players; for one West Midlands club it seems to be going according to plan which is a lot more one can currently say for Birmingham, West Brom and even Aston Villa. The day when football clubs are predominantly owned by people who hail from these shores may have gone and we can lament that at will but, pride aside, bringing money into England can only be good. We must only hope that President Xi's aim for China to invest and dominate the game of football does not mean taking control of overseas leagues as well, however, I fear it might and we should at least be wary of it. In the meantime we can but beat these foreign owned scoundrels on the pitch. I hope that includes today.

Enjoy the game folks, I certainly will; let us roar the team on to a deserved victory and move the club front and centre.

And a very happy new year to you all. 

Well according to my work colleagues (I work in Oldbury, W.Mids), Wolverhampton is not in the Black Country! 

Mind you, Oldbury has an 0121 STD code and a Brum postcode, but never call them Brummies.

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

Surprisingly I am not worried too much about this evening, I can’t see us losing, that obviously doesn’t mean I think we will win!

The spirit amongst the players and very importantly the crowd is very positive, I don’t think Wolves will be looking forward to this one.

The atmosphere is going to be intense and with the predicted rain it is going to be a real test for them.

From what I have read Millwall did not give them a moments peace on Tuesday and that is what we do too, so......

We really need to win this

31 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

Well according to my work colleagues (I work in Oldbury, W.Mids), Wolverhampton is not in the Black Country! 

Mind you, Oldbury has an 0121 STD code and a Brum postcode, but never call them Brummies.

Wolverhampton city centre falls outside of the area traditionally known as the Black Country, although some districts such as Bilston and Heath Town and the Willenhall side of Wolverhampton fall within the Black Country coalfields, leading to confusion as to whether the entire city falls within the region. Therefore, since part of it does, I believe it can be considered inside the Black Country.

11 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Wolverhampton city centre falls outside of the area traditionally known as the Black Country, although some districts such as Bilston and Heath Town and the Willenhall side of Wolverhampton fall within the Black Country coalfields, leading to confusion as to whether the entire city falls within the region. Therefore, since part of it does, I believe it can be considered inside the Black Country.

The definition of the Black Country is open to a lot of debate. Some say it is the extent of the coal measures....all I know is that it's a shitehole and they talk funny!

7 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

The definition of the Black Country is open to a lot of debate. Some say it is the extent of the coal measures....all I know is that it's a shitehole and they talk funny!

According to the Daily Mail:-

Even those who live there will admit that Wolverhampton is not the most glamorous of destinations.

After decades at the heart of Britain's industrial revolution no one would expect it to be.

But not even they thought it would be named as one of the worst places to live in the entire world.

Eight years after the old market town was awarded city status the renowned Lonely Planet guide yesterday branded it the fifth worst city on the globe.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1239478/Wolverhampton-named-fifth-WORST-city-planet.html#ixzz52kxhMPNU 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Personally, I think such 'league tables' on such subjects are meaningless and small minded. I am surprised and disappointed the Lonely Planet do this.

34 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

They are better than us at football. Make no mistake about it. Don't be delusional. They will win this league, and rightly so after how much they spent.

However, it's late in December and cold as **** and we have something in bundles they don't have. Passion. leftover turkey and stuffing 

So let's stick it to 'em

• Haha 1