IGNORED

The Bristol City v Wolverhampton Wanderers Match Day Thread 25

5 hours ago, chinapig said:

A bit of a myth. Last figures I saw the MOTM winner won or drew around 70% of the games following their award. Since, crudely, there is a 33% chance of each possible result this is pretty much what you would expect.

I hope you never get a job as an analyst. There isn’t a 33% chance of a win, draw or loss, because if there was each team in the league would finish the season with the same number  of points. The probability of a team winning a match is complex and is dependent on factors such as the ability of the players, form, injury etc - i e the probability of City winning a match should be greater than a team in the bottom 6. Winning or drawing 70% of matches following a MOTM award is also dodgy stats, as it doesn’t identify how many wins or draws and who they were against 

Too much time fannying about in the defensive area, possession is great but it has to become attacking to make more chances,  Frankie showed his weakness again reminding us all that he is prone to panic, just watched the foul back again and it’s possibly a dive! have to feel for Marlon - their first was his deflection. 

Really tired legs at the end cost us dear.

18 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Serious question ( as I don’t understand the rules). People on here have been saying that SL can’t just spend and really go for it because of FFP. 

In which case, how come Wolves can spend £50M?

Genuine question, there is obviously a reason why, 

I just don’t know it. 

They haven't spent £50M but had £50M worth of players in their team. 2 of the more valuable ones are on loan with an agreed purchase deal when (not 'if' anymore TBH) they go up. 

Very clever on their part.

As for the game, we had a right good go and it's horrible to lose like that but they are miles ahead of anyone else in the division and some of their movement, going forward, was superb.

Fair play to them. Their fans are still horrible though, shouting abuse at a bus stop full of pensioners on Winterstoke Rd looking for a fight, absolute plebs! 

8 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Serious question ( as I don’t understand the rules). People on here have been saying that SL can’t just spend and really go for it because of FFP. 

I just don’t know it. 

I think the finacial rules in the championship relate to the clubs loss on its P&L account, but this taken over a 3 year period.

Theres a bit of jiggery pokery about transfer fees being spread over the length of the players contract, but essentially I suspect they re banking on promotion ( almost certainly this season now) in which case championship rules don't apply to a premier league club ( as demonstrated by QPR)

Given SL's background in a regulated financial services sector, I cannot believe that he would risk the club breaching the financial rules, whereas I get the impression that many foreign owners worry about that when it becomes a problem.

4 minutes ago, DKM Len said:

Wolves deserved the win. Great delivery for the winner. It's unfortunate but most of us know we are fighting for one spot,with a depleted team. That performance would see off Villa.

...if we keep all 11 on the pitch. :)

1 minute ago, DKM Len said:

Wolves deserved the win. Great delivery for the winner. It's unfortunate but most of us know we are fighting for one spot,with a depleted team. That performance would see off Villa.

Agree with all that, and expected it was likely we might lose today. The disappointment was that on the hour mark we were cruising. We let them back in to the game not through their brilliance but our mistakes.

It happens. We got a seasonal high v Man Utd. They got theirs today.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think the finacial rules in the championship relate to the clubs loss on its P&L account, but this taken over a 3 year period.

Theres a bit of jiggery pokery about transfer fees being spread over the length of the players contract, but essentially I suspect they re banking on promotion ( almost certainly this season now) in which case championship rules don't apply to a premier league club ( as demonstrated by QPR)

Given SL's background in a regulated financial services sector, I cannot believe that he would risk the club breaching the financial rules, whereas I get the impression that many foreign owners worry about that when it becomes a problem.

Interesting. Thank you @Downend City

18 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

They haven't spent £50M but had £50M worth of players in their team. 2 of the more valuable ones are on loan with an agreed purchase deal when (not 'if' anymore TBH) they go up. 

Very clever on their part.

As for the game, we had a right good go and it's horrible to lose like that but they are miles ahead of anyone else in the division and some of their movement, going forward, was superb.

Fair play to them. Their fans are still horrible though, shouting abuse at a bus stop full of pensioners on Winterstoke Rd looking for a fight, absolute plebs! 

They are horrible Son. Reminds me of the time some of them gave your Mum a hard time in the Centre. There she was looking resplendent in her Bay City Rollers get up. She pulled up her surgical stockings,  laced up her Doc Martens and got stuck right in. She was a vision...........a lot like in Aldi last week. God I love her !!

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

I just don’t know it. 

I knew I had seen it somewhere...

No automatic alt text available.

6 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Cool it laddy-you were sticking the 'chib into Havanatopia for nay reason and gen dishing the shit-get yer chin up.

Up the City!

He sent me a bunch of messages with an insult in every single one.

That enough is reason alone.

Then there was his vile comment about people being "not right in the head"

Perhaps dont jump in on stuff you are clueless about.

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

Split second decision, Steele is a good keeper, just a shame they buried the free kick.

It was but that is what decent goalkeepers do day in day out. Fielding has done this before so I question his ability to make those critical decisions and make them correctly. We all have flaws, that is his and it cost us.

13 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

He sent me a bunch of messages with an insult in every single one.

That enough is reason alone.

Then there was his vile comment about people being "not right in the head"

Perhaps dont jump in on stuff you are clueless about.

You firstly rub people up the wrong way then, when people get tired of it, you either throw your toys out of the pram, become insulting or lie just as you are doing now. I suggest you take a breather from otib for a while. You are extremely tiresome and childish.

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

It was but that is what decent goalkeepers do day in day out. Fielding has done this before so I question his ability to make those critical decisions and make them correctly. We all have flaws, that is his and it cost us.

I’ll have to watch it again tbf, and I actually prefer Steele in goal, but I think FF was left between a rock and a hard place by his defence.   I can see why he did it I guess is what I’m saying.  

Just now, havanatopia said:

You firstly rub people up the wrong way then, when people get tired of it, you either throw your toys out of the pram, become insulting or lie just as you are doing now. I suggest you take a breather from otib for a while. You are extremely tiresome and childish.

Which part was a lie?

Your first message to me ended up with a filtered word which clearly sets a tone.

Your second insulted my intelligence.

You instigated the conversation and it can all be easily proven with a screenshot.

The "not right in the head" comment might not be word for word, but it can also easily be found.

There is only one liar between us, here's a clue. It isn't me.

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

I’ll have to watch it again tbf, and I actually prefer Steele in goal, but I think FF was left between a rock and a hard place by his defence.   I can see why he did it I guess is what I’m saying.  

Cannot disagree with that either. Maggers and Pack both were poor in their decision making. As a previous poster mentioned; we were cruising to the extent we were becoming too casual. We paid the ultimate price when the game turned on a sixpence. From that moment on I could only see the game going one way.

13 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I hope you never get a job as an analyst. There isn’t a 33% chance of a win, draw or loss, because if there was each team in the league would finish the season with the same number  of points. The probability of a team winning a match is complex and is dependent on factors such as the ability of the players, form, injury etc - i e the probability of City winning a match should be greater than a team in the bottom 6. Winning or drawing 70% of matches following a MOTM award is also dodgy stats, as it doesn’t identify how many wins or draws and who they were against 

Yes I know, I did say 'crudely' as I was crudely illustrating a point about the alleged curse.

Genuine question though: Given that every match is an independent event, is it objectively the case that the probability of a 'good' team winning is greater? At the point at which all matches kick off are all results equally likely or can we quantify subjective factors like confidence to say otherwise?

On 30/12/2017 at 11:33, sh1t_ref_again said:

Would fancy our chnaces but looking at the injuries list on the main web site now includes Baker & Pato added to the list of long term injuries. The lads have done fantastic to keep putting on performances whilst carrying niggling injuries due to the other players out, but not being able to rest players for certain matches I fear will be exposed tonight. 

Gary O'Neil - knee injury
Famara Diédhiou - knee injury
Jens Hegeler - knee injury
Eros Pisano - hamstring injury
Callum O'Dowda - ankle injury
Nathan Baker - hamstring injury
Jamie Paterson - hamstring injury

Milan Djuric - operation (not on list for some reason)

Unbelieable list when you consider they would all be on the pitch or bench

This will be our downfall in January. If we are still in playoffs at end of Jan I will be amazed. The team are running on empty and it’s only fantastic spirit and determination that’s keeping us going. Loose that and we are sunk,

• Like 1
19 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

He was running back at full pelt and if that's a unnatural position when you are running then I suggest you try it and keep your arms by your side 

Yes, but looking at the replay,  the defender had his arm pointing straight up in the air,  is that a natural position when running back or from any position?

14 hours ago, RumRed said:

Split second decision, Steele is a good keeper, just a shame they buried the free kick.

It looks like it came off a City players head,  therefore deflected.  He had the same bad luck with the Man U free kick,  that looked like it was deflected by a City players backside, I'm not sure but it looked like Smith who turned and the ball skidded off him and beat Steele who had it covered.  Others no doubt may disagree,  but that's what it looked like to me.

1 minute ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

It looks like it came off a City players head,  therefore deflected.  He had the same bad luck with the Man U free kick,  that looked like it was deflected by a City players backside, I'm not sure but it looked like Smith who turned and the ball skidded off him and beat Steele who had it covered.  Others no doubt may disagree,  but that's what it looked like to me.

I’d blame the wall in both instances rather than Steele, whether that’s Steele’s fault for incorrectly setting the wall is another debate.

Sometimes stuff happens, Wolves are known for their set pieces and Man U probably aren’t bad!