IGNORED

The Aston Villa v Bristol City Match Day Thread 26

56 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

A very happy new year to everyone. Why does the hammer never complain of the noise? I think we will need to be amidst 5,000 noisy Bristol City fans when our team rifles in a late winner before the thundering noise that erupted from the Atyeo Stand on Saturday afternoon can be expunged from the collective mind. That moment was a hammer blow and remains suspended in time. It was horrible. It could have been avoided but we move on. But we also learn and we can do that with reflection too.

For millions of years the earth lived in virtual silence and then there was man and then noise. The modern age knows nothing about isolation and nothing about silence. In our quietest and loneliest hour the automatic ice-maker in the refrigerator will cluck and drop an ice cube, the automatic dishwasher will sigh through its changes, a plane will drone over, the nearest freeway will vibrate the air. Red and white lights will pass in the sky, lights will shine along highways and glance off windows. There is always a radio that can be turned to some all-night station, or a television set to turn artificial moonlight into the flickering images of the late show. We can put on a turntable whatever consolation we most respond to, Mozart or Copland or the Grateful Dead.” Or there is the cheese grating, nail removal, agony of thunder from the away end. And no time for quiet reflection here although I hope the management and players have done so to banish the negative and go again today against another Chinese owned West Midlands club.

Winning in Aston and we will quietly, not, but swiftly move on. I hope we silence the Holte End.

We are, by and large, Bristol City fans because of our birth place or our 'birth right'; usually bequeathed upon us by our Father. Or perhaps, for a few both near and far, we drift toward the Robins because we stumble across a match in the past or present and see how much heart, toil and not a little passion emanates from the average Bristol City team. Our foreign friends who follow the club from Sweden or Holland or even Romania or Moldova can choose any English club they want but they follow Bristol City. That is marvellous. The collective respect of a club that, at least in my life time, no matter how bad it can sometimes become, tries often beyond the call of duty to perform. We attract and soak up new fans, passing the baton from father to son and from obscure events in time. Like the filipino TV that crashed in the bar while showing a Premier League game but flickered back to life with a streamed Bristol City match and a converted fan at the end of it. Are any of these reasons to support a club any more understandable than Prince William's who says he started supporting Aston Villa because 'he wanted to be different from his friends' . Perhaps we have fans like that and we would welcome them of course but it does seem rather odd for a future monarch to hold such a reason and then to pick a team from Birmingham. Oh well.

Lee Johnson says that Aston Villa, today, is a rapid opportunity to extinguish the pain of Saturday when I applauded all of the City players who, after the ridiculously crowded December schedule, were spent and many sank to their knees on the pitch. A collective spirit and disappointment not often seen amongst players these days. This brotherhood can carry us to the Premier League.

5a4a033a77a56_City2017.jpg.c6e120daf98b990d5e4d32618af7b2b8.jpg

Thank you to everyone in this photo and to all the other players and back room staff, board and owner for making our season, so far, a very memorable one. Long may it continue.

To all those travelling to Birmingham today; you lucky so and so's! And do not leave without 3 points.

My thanks to Wallace Stegner in his Angle of Repose.

Condensed Version

Aston Villa:

MC Hammer likes noise

City to win 2-1

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, Super said:

Huge game today we really need to come back with something. Coyr.

FREEWAY?!

Is this an NFL match day thread?  :)

Happy New year Havana and thanks for starting each match day in your unique way.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

A very happy new year to everyone. Why does the hammer never complain of the noise? I think we will need to be amidst 5,000 noisy Bristol City fans when our team rifles in a late winner before the thundering noise that erupted from the Atyeo Stand on Saturday afternoon can be expunged from the collective mind. That moment was a hammer blow and remains suspended in time. It was horrible. It could have been avoided but we move on. But we also learn and we can do that with reflection too.

For millions of years the earth lived in virtual silence and then there was man and then noise. The modern age knows nothing about isolation and nothing about silence. In our quietest and loneliest hour the automatic ice-maker in the refrigerator will cluck and drop an ice cube, the automatic dishwasher will sigh through its changes, a plane will drone over, the nearest freeway will vibrate the air. Red and white lights will pass in the sky, lights will shine along highways and glance off windows. There is always a radio that can be turned to some all-night station, or a television set to turn artificial moonlight into the flickering images of the late show. We can put on a turntable whatever consolation we most respond to, Mozart or Copland or the Grateful Dead.” Or there is the cheese grating, nail removal, agony of thunder from the away end. And no time for quiet reflection here although I hope the management and players have done so to banish the negative and go again today against another Chinese owned West Midlands club.

Winning in Aston and we will quietly, not, but swiftly move on. I hope we silence the Holte End.

We are, by and large, Bristol City fans because of our birth place or our 'birth right'; usually bequeathed upon us by our Father. Or perhaps, for a few both near and far, we drift toward the Robins because we stumble across a match in the past or present and see how much heart, toil and not a little passion emanates from the average Bristol City team. Our foreign friends who follow the club from Sweden or Holland or even Romania or Moldova can choose any English club they want but they follow Bristol City. That is marvellous. The collective respect of a club that, at least in my life time, no matter how bad it can sometimes become, tries often beyond the call of duty to perform. We attract and soak up new fans, passing the baton from father to son and from obscure events in time. Like the filipino TV that crashed in the bar while showing a Premier League game but flickered back to life with a streamed Bristol City match and a converted fan at the end of it. Are any of these reasons to support a club any more understandable than Prince William's who says he started supporting Aston Villa because 'he wanted to be different from his friends' . Perhaps we have fans like that and we would welcome them of course but it does seem rather odd for a future monarch to hold such a reason and then to pick a team from Birmingham. Oh well.

Lee Johnson says that Aston Villa, today, is a rapid opportunity to extinguish the pain of Saturday when I applauded all of the City players who, after the ridiculously crowded December schedule, were spent and many sank to their knees on the pitch. A collective spirit and disappointment not often seen amongst players these days. This brotherhood can carry us to the Premier League.

Thank you to everyone in this photo and to all the other players and back room staff, board and owner for making our season, so far, a very memorable one. Long may it continue.

To all those travelling to Birmingham today; you lucky so and so's! And do not leave without 3 points.

FREEWAY?!

Is this an NFL  match day thread ?  :)

Happy New year Havanaand thanks for starting each matchday thread in your unique way.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, pillred said:

quick question, how do you not quote the entire post but add your own bit to it. 

I don't know. 

• Haha 2

Our lord and saviour Arnold Delicious Garita has come to save us, to deliver us from this hell.

I look at their team player for player and think they really should be higher than they are. A bit unlucky to get these two games now on the bounce rather than a month of more away, but equally they are down Kodjia, and Terry is think.

Tough one. Draw would be decent, thought we were unlucky not to nick it at home against them.

Edited by cityexile
2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

@CyderInACan your welcome ;)

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

No need to get too excited, it's only Villa in another top of the table clash.

We could be playing Portsmouth on a peat bog in front of 7,000

Christ how ******* bleak must it be to be one of the blue few.