IGNORED

The Aston Villa v Bristol City Match Day Thread 26

FT. Thanks God it's finished.   A really bad way to start the year...

:ermm:

1 minute ago, harrys said:

This result could be a blessing, it proves how much we need reinforcements, Mr Lansdown will be putting his hand in his pocket again

Or it could have a bad impact on the players mind too. I hope you're right.

There are players who we are playing who will be good but are still not quite ready yet.....namely Magnússon, Kelly and Elliason

I really think Bryan needs to go back to left back and we alternate ODowda and Patterson at left midfield.

Also, when Wright comes up against pace, he is sometimes skinned and that's because he is playing out of position and is not very quick.

Plus, we should never have to put Flint (one of our best centre backs) up front due to our lack of strikers.

The transfer window should sort those little issues out.

• Like 1

I have no idea what I just saw but that was not just tiredness. Really disappointing especially when after a poor 2nd half going 2 down it looked like we might be back in the game. First 10 minutes of the second half we should have been level at 2-2 but our players blocked our own efforts. Even then we seemed to have a goal or two in us, but it just fizzled out into complete capitulation, even worse than the first half - we just looked like we could not even do the most basic of things right.

I guess Woodrow is also just on the bench so we don't have a empty space.

Oh well - 5 losses all season, just a shame 2 of them came over the same weekend, and on the back of the Wolves game where we should have got something and tonight playing a Villa team that had won just 1 in 6.

Rest up, bring in a couple of fresh legs and let's start again. This is still one of the best seasons we have had for a while, and let's just hope we can put these blips behind us. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Let's not despair...I watched us lose 6-0 at Ipswich in the season we got to the play-off final...a long way to go.

Was thinking exactly this as the final whistle went - was at that game, and proved the saying “better to lose five nil once than one nil five times”.

We need more players ASAP; the lads we have are out in their feet and have a gruelling January up ahead.

Play a youth team at Watford, rest up the others, buy anyone we are looking at quickly, and we go again.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Fiale said:

I have no idea what I just saw but that was not just tiredness. Really disappointing especially when after a poor 2nd half going 2 down it looked like we might be back in the game. First 10 minutes of the second half we should have been level at 2-2 but our players blocked our own efforts. Even then we seemed to have a goal or two in us, but it just fizzled out into complete capitulation, even worse than the first half - we just looked like we could not even do the most basic of things right.

I guess Woodrow is also just on the bench so we don't have a empty space.

Oh well - 5 losses all season, just a shame 2 of them came over the same weekend, and on the back of the Wolves game where we should have got something and tonight playing a Villa team that had won just 1 in 6.

Rest up, bring in a couple of fresh legs and let's start again. This is still one of the best seasons we have had for a while, and let's just hope we can put these blips behind us. 

I agree,  the fact is that tiredness does not only affect the physical side but the mental side as well,  It's very hard to think straight when you are dog tired and that affects the outcome.  it no surprise they were getting in each others way.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Ian's wisdom on R. Bristol,   Just when you think you've had enough tonight.

That said, he makes a decent point.

Makes a decent point? started off by saying he should have played leko, woodward & taylor

then contradicks himself to agrue that taylor is not good enough and dining out on the man u pass

confused.com

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Makes a decent point? started off by saying he should have played leko, woodward & taylor

then contradicks himself to agrue that taylor is not good enough and dining out on the man u pass

confused.com

Only the bit about Flint

Edited by AppyDAZE

This is Bristol City. This is what happens to us from time to time. Maybe the younger supporters and maybe some of the players are not used to it but supporters like me who've been around for 65 years are quite familiar with the phenomenon. 

Our team plays with passion and LJ says it's the spirit and passion that got us through some of the sticky moments we've had this year. However, when things begin to go wrong, the players tend to increase the passion level. Not always a good idea, especially when you are physically and mentally exhausted. We all need a break, especially the players. The team needs refreshing, maybe with new people coming in to help and old comrades returning to the fray with renewed spirit and passion. The transfer/loan window comes at a useful time as do three cup games where we are the underdogs and little is expected from us. 

This is not a doctrine of despair but rather one of renewal.

• Like 1