IGNORED

The Aston Villa v Bristol City Match Day Thread 26

13 minutes ago, Squire Dastardly said:

This is Bristol City. This is what happens to us from time to time. Maybe the younger supporters and maybe some of the players are not used to it but supporters like me who've been around for 65 years are quite familiar with the phenomenon. 

Our team plays with passion and LJ says it's the spirit and passion that got us through some of the sticky moments we've had this year. However, when things begin to go wrong, the players tend to increase the passion level. Not always a good idea, especially when you are physically and mentally exhausted. We all need a break, especially the players. The team needs refreshing, maybe with new people coming in to help and old comrades returning to the fray with renewed spirit and passion. The transfer/loan window comes at a useful time as do three cup games where we are the underdogs and little is expected from us. 

This is not a doctrine of despair but rather one of renewal.

I've just said something similar on Radio Bristol. We'll never have a better chance of automatic promotion with the right additions.

Lee was very honest with his post-match interview, admitting that it was his fault for the third and fourth goals after going gung ho in the second half by putting Flint up top.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1

We have several top players out.  We have had a hectic schedule. Some of our team are playing with injuries and we last played less than 48 hours ago.  You can understand why we had nothing left in the tank.

Ww need to give the injured players a rest in the 3 cup games and bring in a couple of reinforcements now the window has opened, whether signings or loanees.

Then get back to the business of getting back to second place in the league.

Im sure we can do it.

I would hope that a signing or two would be announced tomorrow. We have known about the injuries and fatigue for weeks , lets hope they have been working hard to add some bodies.  
I have been waiting, pretty much expecting this defeat since the Forest game (maybe not the scale). I think the whole team has been amazing to keep the run going week on week, but we need new faces and soon. Once we reach the end of January we could have 6 more players to choose from (new and returning) that could really help a Playoff push. I don't think we can afford to wait though.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

jesus Christ.......give it a ******* rest

It`s almost as if some posters don`t want us to succeed isn`t it?

It`s almost as if the football club fails they think it reflects badly on Bristol Sport and by extension, Steve Lansdown but I`m sure there aren`t any supporters like that who have such a dislike of him that they would stoop to those levels.

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

This is totally unacceptable, tired or not.

Just got back......get a grip ffs. We were overRUN tonight, simple as that. First 15 we looked decent but when the first went in the wheels came off.

Make no mistake the Man Utd and Wolves games took a lot out of us. We have kids on the bench, not a lot of options to freshen it up. It really was a case of one game to many tonight.

The lads gave it their all, all being not a lot left to give tbf. What we need to do is rest Reid, Brownhill, Flint, Smith, Pack, Bryan and Wright on Saturday. Take the fine from the FA, end of story. Re-charge the batteries and go again next Tuesday.

Negative - end the Flint up top experiment. Positive, Kelly did alright in his cameo.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Just got back......get a grip ffs. We were overRUN tonight, simple as that. First 15 we looked decent but when the first went in the wheels came off.

Make no mistake the Man Utd and Wolves games took a lot out of us. We have kids on the bench, not a lot of options to freshen it up. It really was a case of one game to many tonight.

The lads gave it their all, all being not a lot left to give tbf. What we need to do is rest Reid, Brownhill, Flint, Smith, Pack, Bryan and Wright on Saturday. Take the fine from the FA, end of story. Re-charge the batteries and go again next Tuesday.

Negative - end the Flint up top experiment. Positive, Kelly did alright in his cameo.

It wasn't good enough. I totally understand but it was bad. Really bad. Tired or not. 5-0 is heavy.

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

It wasn't good enough. I totally understand but it was bad. Really bad. Tired or not. 5-0 is heavy.

Of course it was heavy. They had legs, we didn’t. They were sharp, we weren’t.

We had not far short of a whole side on the treatment table. They have parachute payments and a big squad.

Shit happens in these situations. Nothing tactical, nothing to do with ability. We were fooked, they weren’t and so they gave us a spanking.

We were out on our feet against Reading after the Man Utd/QPR games then we put a shift in against Wolves and the same side bar Frank were out on their feet again. Not much of a surprise tbh.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Red Wardy Returns said:

Little things like playing a silly pass, rather than the simple pass (leading to Wolves first goal on Saturday), that can change a season. Come on City, we have to fight back from this. It has been a calamitous Christmas.

Won 1 Drawn 1 Lost 2 (one to the runaway league leaders, the other to a former PL side with millions more to spend than us). And all on top of beating Man United 5 days before Christmas. 

A calamatious Christmas? I don't think so!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Read @Olé 's report.

They are always fair and informative,  and written by a guy who goes to most away games and therefore can put some context on it.

No one's happy or complacent,  but there are some heavy defeats that are worse than others. 

13 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Read @Olé 's report.

They are always fair and informative,  and written by a guy who goes to most away games and therefore can put some context on it.

No one's happy or complacent,  but there are some heavy defeats that are worse than others. 

Fair point. Back in the day, I remember a game at Craven Cottage where we were all over them. We lost 4-0 :(