IGNORED

RATINGS (Merged)

Esmond Million's Bung

Sadly this was Bristol City 2016/2017 and not the 2017/2018 version.

We were shocking throughout, hopefully it’s a huge wake up call to get some players in and quickly and ship a few out even quicker. I just hope LJ doesn’t revert to panic mode, we clearly need quality.

That said, I think we all knew that a defeat like this was inevitable at some stage of the season and I for one won’t lose to much sleep over it, even though it was embarrassing.

I would have given anything to be where we are at this point of the season.

Steele 6 Let down by a shocking defence.

Wright 3 Exposed as not being a full back today.

Flint 6 Never gives up, which is more than some today.

Baker 3 Poor and needless yellow.

Magnússon 3 Almost certainly not up to championship football.

Brownhill 4 Not his day, let down by his midfield colleagues.

Smith 4 Huffed and puffed not his usual influential self.

Pack 3 Today for me showed why he is not always a starter, his part in the 2nd goal was shocking.

Patterson 4 Nothing worked for him today, but doesn’t help himself with silly dribbles across his own back line.

Bryan 5 Started poorly got better as the game went on.

Reid 5 Tried hard but had zero support.

Taylor 2 Another not up to championship standard.

Kelly 6 A bright light on a dark day.

LJ 7 Because a) We are down to the bare bones and b) Certainly today whatever the game plan was going to be you need your team to remember the basics and sadly today the basics were embarrassing.

Over to you LJ bring in some quality and shift out some deadwood.

where 6 is a decent display...

Steele - 5 - Although didn't look like any of the goals down to him, he did let in 5.

Wright - 5 - Although did well 1 on 1 against Albert a couple of times, was caught out of position a few times too and made to look like a CB filling in at RB.

Baker - 5 - Not one of his best, needless yellow card too.

Flint - 6 - Gave 100% as per usual, would have scored to make it 2-1 soon after half-time if not blocked off by Taylor!

Mags - 4 - Made lots of mistakes and played too many aimless balls forward. One decent challenge to prevent 3-0 before HT, but rightly subbed.

Pato - 5 - Started brightly, but then either did nothing or played us into trouble losing the ball all too often.

Brownhill - 5 - Played with usual energy levels, but nothing came off for him, one woeful shot when we had a man over still at 2-0.

Smith - 5- Least effective game I've seen Korey play for a long time.

Bryan -5 - Just did not get into the game at all, couple of little runs including good chance whilst 0-0 but delayed taking shot too long.

Pack - 4 - Offered very little in CM, hit several attempted long passes straight out

Reid - 4 - Pressed hard, but control let him down a few times and he was 95% responsible for their 3rd goal which killed the game.

SUBS:

Kelly - 6 - Did OK I thought, like his no nonsense approach hoofing ball clear when under pressure.

Taylor - 3 - Awful, blocked off Flint from scoring, which would have made it 2-1. no hold-up play, poor passes.

Overall we were better side for opening 20 mins, goals change games they say and Villa bossed it after going 1 up. Might have got back into it if golden chance to make it 2-1 at start of second half was taken, but in the end overrun.

Very poor effort from the OP.  One match doesn’t make players substandard.  A bad day at the office for perfectly understandable reasons.  The starting players have PROVED they are at least good enough for the Championship and tonight hasn’t changed that.  Tonight was simply one game too far, less than 48 hours after finishing our last game.  I’m not at all surprised and tonight’s game has done nothing to change my mind that this is the best squad for decades.

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Very poor effort from the OP.  One match doesn’t make players substandard.  A bad day at the office for perfectly understandable reasons.  The starting players have PROVED they are at leat good enough for the Championship and tonight hasn’t changed that.  Tonight was simply one game too far, less than 48 hours after finishing our last game.  I’m not at all surprised and tonight’s game has done nothing to change my mind that this is the best squad for decades.

I have called 2 players as sub standard, 2 players who are constantly being talked about as sub standard.

It is obvious that LJ has little or no faith in Magnússon long term, the guy was 10 minutes away from leaving in the summer window. In tough games he gets bullied all of the time.

And Taylor cannot expect to dine out on that pass v Manu and Taylor has influenced not one league game that he has played in.

Sorry that's the way that I see it.

What we’ve done well this season we’ve done as a team. And tonight we didn’t do it as a team, it’s not down to individuals. We didn’t work hard enough when they had possession: too often they had acres of space after beating one man, and we seemed collectively to be to tired or too short of responsibility to chase them down.

17 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Still good enough to outplay Man Utd though...

That's ancient history mate, it's about the bread and butter of the league and both players I called out have generally been poor for most of the season.

Of course I could use your reasoning or lack of it to say why can these 2 perform against Manu but struggle week in week out against league opponents.

If you care to read the whole post, I am actually reasonably cool with the defeat in as much as most fans expected it was going to happen sooner or later but overall I feel 2 players are not good enough, ask yourself why even though we have 2 strikers injured Taylor can still not get a regular start?, ask yourself why Magnússon is almost always the player dropped after a poor performance?, not by me by LJ.

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

What we’ve done well this season we’ve done as a team. And tonight we didn’t do it as a team, it’s not down to individuals. We didn’t work hard enough when they had possession: too often they had acres of space after beating one man, and we seemed collectively to be to tired or too short of responsibility to chase them down.

And that is an argument I can agree with, but whatever success we have had, the players I have called out have been poor for most of the season, that is why neither gets a regular start.

We need better especially striker wise, our 2 replacements are not good enough, if they were they would be starting.

15 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Its a fricking disgrace.........the team have let us all down....that performance was unacceptable, i am astonished by their lack of pride, anyone who attended tonite should be refunded from the players wages........complety embarassing

What an embarrassing jerk 

20 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Its a fricking disgrace.........the team have let us all down....that performance was unacceptable, i am astonished by their lack of pride, anyone who attended tonite should be refunded from the players wages........complety embarassing

I assume this is a poor attempt at sarcasm?

50 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Very poor effort from the OP.  One match doesn’t make players substandard.  A bad day at the office for perfectly understandable reasons.  The starting players have PROVED they are at least good enough for the Championship and tonight hasn’t changed that.  Tonight was simply one game too far, less than 48 hours after finishing our last game.  I’m not at all surprised and tonight’s game has done nothing to change my mind that this is the best squad for decades.

That's a massive shout. We lost 5-0 tonight because the first XI are in dire need of a rest. So where's the back-up? OK, we have injuries but no one on here rated Hegeler or O'Neil before they got crocked, and Djuric and Woodrow haven't exactly set the world alight.

I'll have a go at some ratings - I certainly didn't agree with EMB's .

Overall, it was a tired performance which lacked the drive and energy that we need to be able to make our game plan work. We were very lacklustre with the ball and as the game progressed we were completely unable to press and cover to the standard we needed. However, the players were individually not as bad as the score line suggests but as a team we deserved the beating:

Steele - 5

A keeper who lets in 5 is going to get a poor rating. He didn't pull off any great saves and his distribution was no better than Fielding's. It wasn't a disaster of a performance and he isn't responsible for us getting beaten on his own.

Wright - 6

A perfectly serviceable performance and made at least 5 tackles. Passing was tidy, but he looked unadventurous and tired.

Flint - 5

Honestly, I didn't think he was helped by being shoved up front and lost out in the air a surprising amount.

Baker - 6

Could be MOTM (from city players). Responsible for a lot of clearances and  was strong aerially.

Magnússon - 4

Struggled and his passing was pretty inaccurate.

Brownhill - 6

Tried hard and some tidy passing. Ran with the ball well but nothing came from most of his play.

Smith - 5

Looked shattered and found it hard to keep up his defensive pressure. Accurate with his passing but unadventurous.

Pack - 5

See above, but less accurate.

Bryan - 6

Struggled to make a difference going forward but stuck at it. Spent a lot of time supporting his left back.

Patterson - 6

A lot of effort, with little result. I think he was handicapped by a lack of options when looking for a pass

Reid - 5

Marked out of the game and anonymous in attack. A game too far, perhaps?

Subs

Woodrow - 5

The game was gone by the time he came on but didn't change the pattern at all

Kelly - 5

Had a real tough time defensively but stuck at it. I think he hit a lot of hopeful long balls because he had no alternatives.

Taylor - 5

He'll always try, but this wasn't a good performance. Equally it was not awful but it was...meh.

It was poor as a team effort and I think the result was due to a team (squad) failing. I'm bloody disappointed but can't see too much individually wrong. Villa were good, and our lack of energy helped them a lot. 5-0 was possibly harsh, but we weren't at the races today.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

It's all very well applying rubbish symbols, I have given my ratings and my reasoning, let's hear yours?. Give us all a chance to apply rubbish symbols.

Fair enough Esmond, you've stuck your neck out, I'll do the same (as it happens I agree with plenty of what you say...)

First off team performance 5. Completely different approach to today's game and I'm quite sure tiredness is a part of it, but it was very poor indeed. Even in the first half it was evident Villa might run up a large score due to the time and space being offered them.

On to the individuals:

Steele 6, not a great deal he could do about today. It really could have been 4-0 in the first half alone.

Wright 4, suffered hugely in the first half as Albert terrorized him and city.

Flint 6 best of a bad bunch in defence. Should really have scored 2nd half to put city back in the game, but Taylor got in the way. Then made a tackle on Taylor a few minutes later, almost to return the favour!

Baker 4, as poor a match as I've seen from him, putting the team under pressure a number of times through mis passing/ headers.

Magnússon 4. Has played so well recently, brings a lot to the team with crosses and those throws. Not today. Endless hoofing in the 1st half was inviting Villa on. I can't help thinking the way we played conditioned Villa into really going for it. Once they smelt blood they were quite ruthless.

Brownhill 5. Quieter day and not the driving force he has been.

Smith 5. Not able to break up Villa in midfield: by the final 20 mins we had conceded the midfield completely.

Pack 4. As Smith, but -1 due to giving away possession in what became key moments.

Patterson 6. Tried hard to drive city forward.

Bryan 4. Better in the 2nd half for sure, I put him in the same category as Magnússon today: he chose to hoof the ball forward too many times and betrayed what city have been about. Maybe wrong to single Joe out, but he is capable of a lot more.

Reid 5. Not a lot he could do today, with the midfield missing for large chunks of the match

Taylor 3 particularly for the clumsy block on Flint's header. That moment was a game changer and from there on the game slipped away. No other meaningful contributions and I've noticed that when city do hit the heights with that slick one touch passing, Taylor tends to break it up and slow things down (not so much for today as other recent matches).

Kelly 6 A bright light on a dark day. I'm going to leave Esmond's comment as it is, agreed.

Plenty of reasons for this performance including schedule and injuries as many have pointed out. BUT, this was a 5-0 defeat and a horrible one to watch.

Finally LJ. Difficult one today, he obviously doesnt think there are many alternatives to the starting 11 and it's difficult to find fault in his starting line-up. I'm not sure Woodrow, Leko, Eliasson are first-teamers either. There is an interesting debate on Flint-up-front going on and I'm going to sit on the fence for now. I would say when used for the right amount of game time it's very useful, but getting that quantity right maybe isn't so easy. Today Flint was in the position to score and change the match, it didnt happen and was the first of two bizarre events: 1) the Taylor block on the header and 2) the Taylor tackle in the Villa area. Is any of that due to having a defender playing as a striker?

Just back.

Never got going in this game. Regulars will know I’m a big Pack fan but today was the worst I’ve seen him play in a City shirt. Magnússon was terrible. Smith passed everything out of play. Bobby couldn’t hold onto the ball. Brownhill looked shattered and didn’t seem able to run. Flint & Baker between then let the 5ft 9ins striker win 2 headers on the 6 yard box for their first 2 goals. Wright didn’t do many things right. Bryan did about 2 things worthy of note. Kelly was the only bright spark showing a couple of composed passes but a couple of times had to castigate Bryan for not helping him out. 

No one gets singled out tonight though, they were all poor and we were never at the races. 

It could’ve been different had Taylor not got in Flints way early in the 2nd half when we should’ve made it 2-1. Wouldve been interesting to see how Villa reacted to that

Overall though, we looked very very tired and in need of a break. Squad needs bulking up asap because there are players dying on their asses right now.  

I’m also confused what our formation was in the 2nd half. Seemed that Smith was playing as CB but we didn’t actually have anyone in midfield. We were wide, wide open. 

Bad night, but it was coming, with all the effort put in in recent weeks, and the depleted squad. 

Steele 6, badly exposed, no blame attached.

Wright 5, ok in patches but not his normal standard.

Magnussen 4, poor display.

Baker 3, worst I’ve seen him.

Flint 6, gave it a go. End the up top nonsense.

Bryan 5, non existent 1st half, ok 2nd. Needs a break.

Pack 4, never hit his straps tonight. Knackered.

Smith 5, gave it a go but blowing out of his arse!!

Patterson 5, see Smith!!

Reid 5, see Smith!!

Brownhill 5, see Smith!!

Taylor 3, Villa’s best defensive work all night with that Block that prevented Flint!!

Kelly 6.5, got done for the goal by Snodgrass but otherwise composed and some great learning tonight. THE positive!!

Johnson 6, damned if he did and damned if he didn’t. If he had 20/20 hindsight we would have seen about eight changes tonight!! But end the Flint up top rubbish now!!

3 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Sadly this was Bristol City 2016/2017 and not the 2017/2018 version.

We were shocking throughout, hopefully it’s a huge wake up call to get some players in and quickly and ship a few out even quicker. I just hope LJ doesn’t revert to panic mode, we clearly need quality.

That said, I think we all knew that a defeat like this was inevitable at some stage of the season and I for one won’t lose to much sleep over it, even though it was embarrassing.

I would have given anything to be where we are at this point of the season.

Steele 6 Let down by a shocking defence.

Wright 3 Exposed as not being a full back today.

Flint 6 Never gives up, which is more than some today.

Baker 3 Poor and needless yellow.

Magnússon 3 Almost certainly not up to championship football.

Brownhill 4 Not his day, let down by his midfield colleagues.

Smith 4 Huffed and puffed not his usual influential self.

Pack 3 Today for me showed why he is not always a starter, his part in the 2nd goal was shocking.

Patterson 4 Nothing worked for him today, but doesn’t help himself with silly dribbles across his own back line.

Bryan 5 Started poorly got better as the game went on.

Reid 5 Tried hard but had zero support.

Taylor 2 Another not up to championship standard.

Kelly 6 A bright light on a dark day.

LJ 7 Because a) We are down to the bare bones and b) Certainly today whatever the game plan was going to be you need your team to remember the basics and sadly today the basics were embarrassing.

Over to you LJ bring in some quality and shift out some deadwood.

all true a very good summary on the game

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What an embarrassing jerk 

lj's......quote  'so great that we are playing villa so soon, as it gives us an opportunity to bounce back'........the only thing that bounced was the ball in our net........I LOVE lj and city...if u think i'm a jerk thats fine, i have supported them home and away for40 years, so i am embarassed by today, i understand ljs reasoning,  but to lose 5- 0 is sad and embarassing , so sorry i'm a jerk ,but glib comments achieve very little without an agenda. I am certain we will bounce back ..........but for a side in 2nd to lose like this is humiliating

3 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

It's all very well applying rubbish symbols, I have given my ratings and my reasoning, let's hear yours?. Give us all a chance to apply rubbish symbols.

Harsh on Baker, at least he fired in a tackle and showed a little passion . Kelly looked decent . 

Archived