IGNORED

The Etihad, a few Tips and Advice

Alanthemanc

12 hours ago, john shaw number 1 said:

Tottenham away was the last game, was on coach 5, althogh there was only 2 cats coaches, surrounded by Tottenham fans in the away end and think we lost 2-0, not a good day out.

I was there. Drew 0-0 I think. 

On 1/2/2018 at 17:47, Alanthemanc said:

YES.........  The nearest ones Ito the ground are on Grey Mare Lane, form the Belle Vue  / Hyde rd ......................... There is a school car park open, and there is another one next to the Townley Pub, ( 1/4 of a mile from ground) if you coming from the junction South Side.  The Police have started to make people park a fair way from the ground this year.  I heard a good motorway junction away fans are using is Ashton / Droylesden   M60.   if anyone's coming from that direction............................leave plenty of time, the traffic is terrible late on.

St Brigid's RC Primary! Beswick! That was my first teaching job, there. Frank Smith the head, still? No, I'm sure he's not. MCFC used to come in and do training with our Junior 3s and 4s even before the Commonwealth Games stadium was built (I'm talking 90s). Paul Power, I think it was. Nice bloke. Manchester United were nowhere to be seen with involvement in the local community. About the nearest they got to Mancunian schools was Singapore. Very poor. I lived on Heald Place at the time, just a stone's throw - literally - from Maine Rd. Poor old gAss when they visited had a right shock seeing a bedsheet in a tree with NO GYPSY GAS, THANKS written on it (98/99).

Is the Townley the pub on the right-hand side of Grey Mare Lane, as you head towards the Ashton New Rd? I wouldn't advise a pint in there, kids (no offence, locals), unless it's had a spruce up in the last 10 years or more.

But if you did want a local pint, head in to the Park Inn on Ardwick Green, near the Apollo, and ask for Mooresey. He's a red, but a top bloke and his family is split red and blue. Hope the Park Inn's still open. Never mind all your fancy nonsense in the Northern Quarter, head down there or The Fringe on the corner of Oldham Rd - they serve Cheddar Valley (or, did. They may have stopped since I left. That's a non-sequitur).

Which part of M you from, Alan(theManc)?

10 hours ago, Alanthemanc said:

Ashton Park.........There are a few food outlets near the coach park..... decent chippy across the road............ pubs ......not many .... but if your desperate ask directions to the Townley, about 10 mins walk away, or try a bar at City Square next to the club shop

Surely they won't get into the bars at City Square, Alan? It's home fans only and you have to show your ticket to enter?

1 hour ago, shelts said:

In the Ibis Centre Pollard  Street for the night , just a ten minute walk apparently!!!

33 minutes ago, MCFC said:

Surely they won't get into the bars at City Square, Alan? It's home fans only and you have to show your ticket to enter?

Sorry.,...not been in the city square bars for ages.....,.....however....I've seen away fans in the squash club bar.......down the steps at the athletics complex 50 yards away from the Maine entrance..............

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Hi Alan. Excellent work by the way . I’m staying at the Manchester central travelodge. Is this walking distance firstly from Piccadilly . Then from hotel to the ground. Cheers 

You could walk it from Piccadilly, bit of a treck.......say 10 mins down market Street if your fit and able............tram to ground from Piccadilly as well..

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Hi Alan. Excellent work by the way . I’m staying at the Manchester central travelodge. Is this walking distance firstly from Piccadilly . Then from hotel to the ground. Cheers 

Probably a 15 min walk to Piccadilly mate. Would get the tram to the ground from Piccadilly. 

ok .... just thought I'd mention a few pubs in the City Centre you will probably be allowed into.

Sinclairs ...... seems to be the main meet up pub for away fans ..... can gather outside for a bit of a sing song, especially European  clubs;

Wetherspoons Piccadilly...... seems to let away fans in....... typical Wetherspoons pub

The Waldorf ....... a side st off Piccadilly aproach......... left side as you walk out  ( 50 yards back from gardens  )...... again seems to be popular with away fans so I'm told. ask if you cant find

as for the rest, would probably stick towards the Northern Quarter.

Been twice with Wolves.

First time we parked in Sale, had a few beers and got the tram straight to the ground. A 10-15 mins wait queueing afterwards for a tram.

Second time by coach, traffic was horrendous before and after (missed the kick off despite being 2 miles away 45 mins before the start).

Recommendation - Park as far away as possible and use the tram.

1 hour ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Get a taxi to Parrs Wood and get the tram from there. 

from what I looked up on the internet it looks like my best option is a walk to heald green and then train to Piccadilly, they seem to run every 20 minutes

would you say your option was better?

Archived