IGNORED

New signings needed for promotion?

Michael McIndoe

I've previously thought that chucking a load of money at it now would be a bad thing for financial reasons if we didn't get promotion but, we now have real assets in the squad that can be sold in the summer if the gamble doesn't pay off.

It's a high risk strategy which could mean losing all of your stars in the summer which would also mean rebuild, but if it works, you get that money back and some.

Like it has been said, 10 years since our last opportunity, I'm 45 in a few weeks, last seen City in the top flight when I was a young boy. I don't want that to be the only memory of top flight football.

24 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Remembering back to the Palace play-off away game, you went down to what seemed a great tackle in the box, and started beating the ground in frustration, camera 1,2,3,4 and five backed up the refs decision only the last angle showed the fact that the defender never touched that ball, lucky it didn't cost us on the day...

PS. Can you still finish the bleep test??

Wow what a great memory you have @B1ackbird! You're the first person that has ever mentioned that and I remember on the day thinking "That's a pen!!" But as you said 5 camera angels couldn't tell so it just goes to show you how hard the ref's job is. 

Ha I was talking about that the other day! I think I could get close. 

21 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Obviously SL and the board would love Prem football, be the owner also want sustainability so I think there will be a balance. The guys that have come in over 3 windows that LJ wanted were all talented but not the finished article, and almost to a man they have blossomed this year. That scouting style won't help with promotion now, so Championship ready players are needed but there is no way he will throw £30m at it. My guess is 2-3 permanent and the same in loans, allowing for availability. Wolves have taken a risk with Financial fair play and look like winning, not sure we'll do the same.

I'd be shocked if we sold either, unless a ridiculous bid came in. No pressure to sell so they would have to be offered a lot !

@1960maaan It all depends on how serious SL is about getting promoted. After working for him, I know he is a fantastic chairman and has a lot of passion for Bristol but as my good friend John Ryan former chairman of Doncaster Rovers found out, the money you have to pay players to get promoted unless you can do a Burnley is a lot more than you're paying now. 

I wouldn't be shocked if you lost both because if you don't get promoted, both those players and their agents will be banging on the door. I think you'll get some serious offers for them. I appreciate Bryan is a Bristol lad. Let's see how it unfolds! 

17 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Thanks @Tom Fleuriot I think it'll be interesting to see your league position in the middle of February. God bless it'll be in the top 2! 

Not sure we'll be in the top 4. I was hoping to have reinforcements in before the weekend, could have had a run Vs Watford.  I think we could drop before we make another push, as players come in and come back from injuries.

Hello Michael, good to hear from you fella.

We chatted a few times in Jaspers back in the day while you waited for your takeaway but not seen you around for a while :dunno:. Hope you are well.

Madine is an interesting shout. I think we've more chance of landing him than some of the other names being mentioned (PNE can make the play offs so why would they let their main striker go?) and I would certainly go for someone with the physicality to lead the line rather than another player in the Bobby Reid mould. I know we already have Duric and Diedhiou but who knows when they'll be back up to speed and, if so, for how long. 

With Leko gone and Eliasson not ready yet, we've only Brownhill and Paterson for the wide positions so we need competition there

In centre mid we can forget O'Neil and Hegeler, leaving us with just Pack and Smith, so another body is needed there too.

That's 3 minimum for me and, like you say, all of them need to fit in straight away and have the right attitude ie workrate, defending from the front, from first whistle to last. If all 3 can bring goals to the table too we have a great chance of doing something special this season. 

2 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

@1960maaan It all depends on how serious SL is about getting promoted. After working for him, I know he is a fantastic chairman and has a lot of passion for Bristol but as my good friend John Ryan former chairman of Doncaster Rovers found out, the money you have to pay players to get promoted unless you can do a Burnley is a lot more than you're paying now. 

I wouldn't be shocked if you lost both because if you don't get promoted, both those players and their agents will be banging on the door. I think you'll get some serious offers for them. I appreciate Bryan is a Bristol lad. Let's see how it unfolds! 

The model they are using at the  moment is working, the difficult part is adding to the squad that has had a year to be moulded into LJ's image . This push has probably come a lot quicker than anyone expected, if it happened slower we could have added a few more promising youngsters  and done the same as we have with ODowda,Brownhill etc etc.
If we don't go up I would say Flint would definitely go, 29 and last payday? Bryan, different but probably have the pick of a few very good Prem sides so I could see him go. I'd add Brownhill and maybe Reid , promotion would make a big difference.

47 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

That's a good point @Ska Junkie What do you think? Flint, Bryan or both? Surely can't sell any of your players at this stage of the season given the position unless they're loaned back to the club. 

It can't be all one way MM. We can't just spend huge sums because we may not succeed in getting promotion. Where the balance between frugality and spending is is way beyond me but it is a concern. 

Out of the 3 potential outgoings, I would say only Joe B is irreplaceable but, for me, it's more about the player and whether he wants to stay. We don'treally want to lose any of them TBH.

Interesting read, wish we had former Wednesday players post on Owlstalk. I remember you from your time up here at Donny, always seemed to be a very popular player with their fans. 

Regarding Madine - He's become a really important  part of the Bolton side now, glad to see him being effective again after having a really good season for us back in League One. Can't say I know too much about City's style as to whether he'd fit in, but as you are currently at the top of the division it'd be interesting to see if he could make the step up.

As for Bannan, I know you lot think highly of him but I'd be very surprised to see him come here. He's a very important player for us and despite our pathetic season so far we aren't under any pressure to sell players. Some Wednesday fans seem to think the opposite but our Chairman has said time and time again that our players aren't for sale. With all due respect I don't think Bannan would fancy a move here anyway. 

The whole “throw loads of money and gamble” debate is always a fascinating one. Say we spent another £3/4m that January, which would’ve been big money then, and it got us over the line. 

Instead, we spent £700k. Then, threw money season after season, got into an enormous downward spiral, and ****** it. So, really, we didn’t gamble, but still lost. The amount of money we spent on fees & wages on James, Baldock, Davies, Kilkenny etc over the years would’ve been a damn site more than if we’d have just brought in another 2 or 3 in Jan 08, rather than go through 3 manager pay offs, and about 9 transfer windows going back to where we were in the first place. That will be in SL’s mind too, no doubt. 

@Michael McIndoe did you receive your Xmas card from Mr Carle last week? :hug:

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The whole “throw loads of money and gamble” debate is always a fascinating one. Say we spent another £3/4m that January, which would’ve been big money then, and it got us over the line. 

Instead, we spent £700k. Then, threw money season after season, got into an enormous downward spiral, and ****** it. So, really, we didn’t gamble, but still lost. The amount of money we spent on fees & wages on James, Baldock, Davies, Kilkenny etc over the years would’ve been a damn site more than if we’d have just brought in another 2 or 3 in Jan 08, rather than go through 3 manager pay offs, and about 9 transfer windows going back to where we were in the first place. That will be in SL’s mind too, no doubt. 

@Michael McIndoe did you receive your Xmas card from Mr Carle this year? :hug:

Would you go for it then Pete and live with the consequences if we didn't make it?

I really don't know so can't  say which choice is right or wrong but, with hindsight, it's clear we should have done more in January 2008 but it's huge money now!

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Would you go for it then Pete and live with the consequences if we didn't make it?

I really don't know so can't  say which choice is right or wrong but, with hindsight, it's clear we should have done more in January 2008 but it's huge money now!

Yes. You would be forever think ‘what if’, if not. The club is a much sounder, richer, more stable & more attractive state that 08. Say we spent £15m and lost in the play off final, we would bounce back better now than if we spent big in 08 and still didn’t go up. 

I don't think the signing of Adebola in 2008 was an issue to be honest. We were crying out for such a player as we were winning games by the odd goal often hanging on and we needed the ball to stick up front more. I also believe that from January onwards, he scored the 2nd highest amount of goals in the league so he definitely added something. Perhaps you're right Michael in that we built our general play around him too much.

On potential signings that year, I thought at the time we should have been in for Sylvan Ebanks Blake. I think he was the only player to score more than Dele from January onwards. He went to wolves for 1.5 Mil which looking back on it was peanuts compared to what was at stake. Perhaps his wage demands were astronomical and would have upset the dressing room, something LJ may have in mind this window?

I'm interested to know your take on Lee Trundle Michael. He came in on a big fee and by all accounts wages to match. Did you expect more from him or do you feel GJ didn't set the team up to get the best out of him? I seem to recall GJ shuffling the starting strikers every other game that season and I thought he just needed a decent run to get going properly, a bit like Taylor at the moment. 

Also I'd like to thank you on being in the most successful team in terms of league position since I've been supporting City. Nobody can argue you never gave 100% and you had decent ability to go with it. 

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Yes. You would be forever think ‘what if’, if not. The club is a much sounder, richer, more stable & more attractive state that 08. Say we spent £15m and lost in the play off final, we would bounce back better now than if we spent big in 08 and still didn’t go up. 

Fair comment Pete. If that's what we COULD spend without incurring penalties, it makes perfect sense. I assume if we lose say Flinty for £10M, that becomes a potential spend of £25M on having a go? That's serious money!!

50 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I'm not aware that we went for anyone else. I most certainly would not have pulled a player from Turkey who couldn't score a goal for us. 

I like Dele! He just didn't suit our style of play. I felt it was panic buy to try to help us get over the line. At the time I would've only signed players who you can't get the ball off in a phonebox and who've got bundles of energy. 

Thought Carle was a better player than LJ 

Another way I guess you could look at it.  The model (starting to hate that word) that they have set up, buy young , improve and sell big. Could cover the spend . Say we spent £15m , then I think a lot of us would expect to lose Flint and maybe one/two others, that could cover most of the outlay and save us from FFP.

45 minutes ago, screech said:

I've previously thought that chucking a load of money at it now would be a bad thing for financial reasons if we didn't get promotion but, we now have real assets in the squad that can be sold in the summer if the gamble doesn't pay off.

It's a high risk strategy which could mean losing all of your stars in the summer which would also mean rebuild, but if it works, you get that money back and some.

Like it has been said, 10 years since our last opportunity, I'm 45 in a few weeks, last seen City in the top flight when I was a young boy. I don't want that to be the only memory of top flight football.

Completely understand @screech and agree which is why I am also saying they need players. If the squad was bigger I wouldn't be saying it. 

Ps. Have a good birthday in a few weeks! 

3 hours ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I said earlier today on Twitter that, in my opinion, Lee needs to sign 2/3 massive signings to secure promotion to the Premier League. I don't mean foreigners that are unknown or do not know the division. And I don't mean Premier League fringe players who have hardly kicked a ball all season. I mean top Championship players that SL can prise away from other Championship clubs and who of course will fit into Lee's style of play! When looking to sign new players I always ask two simple questions...which opposition players have caused us the most problems this season? And can we pay them more than their current club? 

If you don't think Lee needs any new players then ask yourselves one question - if you were a Premier League manager who out of the current squad would you want to sign this transfer window? If you can only think of two then your squad definitely needs more strength and more quality.

I remember 10 years ago when Gary was sat in a very similar position and we signed a foreigner who didn't know the division and someone who didn't suit our style of play. Surely this is the time to invest into the squad in order to get to the promised land!

Sorry for asking a really stupid question but this isn’t the real mm I’d it?

Really interesting to read that you thought the transfers bought in the Jan window in the 07/08 season weren't the right ones. I appreciate it doesn't relate to the question you've asked, but do you think that had a big psychological effect on yourself and the squad as well as just effecting the style of football the club attempted to play?

For me it's important our transfer policy isn't effected by the possibility of getting into the prem. It's got us into our current position and can take us further. I think buying big and disrupting what we're trying to do could actually be detrimental. You mentioned changing the style on the pitch didn't work, I think suddenly changing how we operate off the pitch in the market could disrupt us on the pitch also. I hope that being in this position now allows us to bring in young players who can already be effective at this level, rather than the likes of Brownhill and O'Dowda who needed a season before perform at the levels they are now. 

46 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

@Michael McIndoe did you ever score a more important goal than this? 

https://youtu.be/0UhT-OZlY1M

edit, is there anywhere I can buy a signed copy of your book?

@

@BS15_RED Ha  probably not! But there's better footage of that goal as well as a few others you might like... 

Not at the moment but next time I'm down the Gate I will make myself available. 

58 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I'm not aware that we went for anyone else. I most certainly would not have pulled a player from Turkey who couldn't score a goal for us. 

I like Dele! He just didn't suit our style of play. I felt it was panic buy to try to help us get over the line. At the time I would've only signed players who you can't get the ball off in a phonebox and who've got bundles of energy. 

Always felt the player we should have broke the bank for that January was Ebanks-Blake. 

Do players ever talk about who they would want to join the group? Who would you have wanted back then?

3 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Always felt the player we should have broke the bank for that January was Ebanks-Blake. 

Do players ever talk about who they would want to join the group? Who would you have wanted back then?

Robert Koren. What a player. Our midfield cost us that season. Lack of goals and quality. 

Archived