IGNORED

New signings needed for promotion?

Michael McIndoe

7 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Never rated Carle either... I remember watching the sky sports League game at home vs Palace and the commentators were waxing lyrical over him, couldn't see it myself and Watson bossed him in that game.  Poor player.

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Don’t know how they became pros . Contributed **** all in a game. Carle was , get the ball , step over step over pass sideways lose it , can’t tackle either. 

Kilkenny , point point give it away. 

Funnily enough one of my agents was Neil Warnock's son James and I do remember a conversation with him at the time asking "WTF is your dad's club doing paying £1m for him?!" But he obviously saw something in Nick that he wanted in his own team although I can't think what that was. :dunno:

2 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I did think about it because Brad was a good player. But on a Monday morning when the stats came in he tended to be the one who gave possession away the most and from a fullback's perspective they get to see the whole pitch so in theory, should give the ball away the least. That was my reasoning behind it! 

Brad was a great defender but arguably full backs have more space than anybody so need to be good users of the ball.

Hence Pep replacing Sagna, Zabaleta and Kolarov, Spurs using the likes of Aurier, Rose and Trippier and so on.

4 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I think a lot of the pundits, (Graeme Souness, Gary Neville and Ian Wright aside) want to be too PC. Or to be completely blunt are too scared to speak honestly without repercussion especially if you're still in the industry. It is ridiculously close-knit. 

Yes, it's a cozy old boys' club. 'He'll be a bit disappointed with that Gary' doesn't qualify as analysis.

8 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Funnily enough one of my agents was Neil Warnock's son James and I do remember a conversation with him at the time asking "WTF is your dad's club doing paying £1m for him?!" But he obviously saw something in Nick that he wanted in his own team although I can't think what that was. :dunno:

He only lasted a season mate, and in Neil’s autobiography (unbelievable read if you haven’t read it btw) he says that he’s one of the worst signings he ever made. 

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He only lasted a season mate, and in Neil’s autobiography (unbelievable read if you haven’t read it btw) he says that he’s one of the worst signings he ever made. 

Thinking back now, NW was entrenched in war with BCFC, did he sign him simply to try and weaken us? Although that back fired big time.

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I always assumed that he just loved Gary so much that he wanted to help him out and get him out of our squad to make it stronger!

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Thinking back now, NW was entrenched in war with BCFC, did he sign him simply to try and weaken us? Although that back fired big time.

Kind of. Warnock loved Carle in those 2x play off games so wanted him. GJ said that he wanted to build the team around Carle to bluff Warnock into really wanting to sign him for a lot of money basically. 

30 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I did think about it because Brad was a good player. But on a Monday morning when the stats came in he tended to be the one who gave possession away the most and from a fullback's perspective they get to see the whole pitch so in theory, should give the ball away the least. That was my reasoning behind it! 

I never got the love in for BO, I always thought his distribution was poor. Great engine (cliche’ alert) and decent player all the same. 

Carle was our first real exotic foreign signing since the days of Sebok and Testimetanu so I think a lot of people wanted him to be a big improvement on what we had and knowing little about him assumed that he would be. Our foreign recruitment seems to have improved since those days but it’s still a lottery.

It’s very interesting reading what you have to say @Michael McIndoe, certainly the most interesting thread I’ve read on here in a while. Got your book for Christmas so I look forward to learning a lot more.

19 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Kind of. Warnock loved Carle in those 2x play off games so wanted him. GJ said that he wanted to build the team around Carle to bluff Warnock into really wanting to sign him for a lot of money basically. 

Haha, like father, like son.  Lee pulled down Warnock’s pants with that trick with Tomlin in the summer. :P

2 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Adebola ahead of Byfield 

Always rated Byfield. For me he had a bit of everything, good finisher with left or right & was fairly good in the air. Good pace and movement about him & could never understand why we didn’t give him another contract. Dele was a good signing, but I agree that it altered the way we played somewhat. But GJ did like another club in his bag! COYR 

1 hour ago, simon uk said:

Not withstanding who started the thread, but always thought he was good,, and im pretty sure we had the conversation on here at that time that if we could pair him with ben watson in cm, that would have been one of the strongest in the league.

Nick Carle was absolute shit. 

29 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I never got the love in for BO, I always thought his distribution was poor. Great engine (cliche’ alert) and decent player all the same. 

Completely overrated. Very interesting to hear about his stats on completed passes. not a surprise.

1 hour ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I think a lot of the pundits, (Graeme Souness, Gary Neville and Ian Wright aside) want to be too PC. Or to be completely blunt are too scared to speak honestly without repercussion especially if you're still in the industry. It is ridiculously close-knit. 

Very erudite I agree. Being a pundit is not about telling the truth. The only honesty was from the Secret Footballer that I have read. What did you think of the stuff he produced about the reality of the game? Is your book as honest as that?

47 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Very erudite I agree. Being a pundit is not about telling the truth. The only honesty was from the Secret Footballer that I have read. What did you think of the stuff he produced about the reality of the game? Is your book as honest as that?

I saw a piece by Paul Scholes, who has been getting pelters from Jose, more or less said he’s going to have to reign it in as he was being too honest. People asked him questions and he gave his honest opinion, I think he found out quickly that’s not how you do it. Not sure he’ll change too much mind.

On 03/01/2018 at 20:38, Michael McIndoe said:

You might want to watch what you write mate. You can't hide behind your IP address and make defamatory comments - I have an extremely good legal team. 

And anyway you can't be a true BC fan because who would write to an ex-player who helped your team to finish in its highest ever position in modern football and who also coincidentally started the most league games that season for your team? 

If your knowledge of the Internet is anything to go by, maybe your musings about what's needed for promotion aren't really worth listening to?

You might think Internet Proxy, TOR, public WiFi hotspots blah blah blah.

As to your legal team being good, that might be the case when it comes to law, however, most legal types I've met have difficulty turning on their own computers let alone understand the intricacies of Cyber naughtiness - look to the latest leaks by lawyer types who have difficulty keeping their own data safe e.g. Panama

BTW, you thinking of being a football agent, proxying for one or something else?
I don't have you down as someone who has a real interest in BCFC - yes you played for City but footy players tend to be a rather mercenary lot.

Good luck with your book.

3 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

If your knowledge of the Internet is anything to go by, maybe your musings about what's needed for promotion aren't really worth listening to?

You might think Internet Proxy, TOR, public WiFi hotspots blah blah blah.

As to your legal team being good, that might be the case when it comes to law, however, most legal types I've met have difficulty turning on their own computers let alone understand the intricacies of Cyber naughtiness - look to the latest leaks by lawyer types who have difficulty keeping their own data safe e.g. Panama

BTW, you thinking of being a football agent, proxying for one or something else?
I don't have you down as someone who has a real interest in BCFC - yes you played for City but footy players tend to be a rather mercenary lot.

Good luck with your book.

Wow & now I’ve discovered Sheldon Cooper is a member on this forum & from that I will assume he’s a City fan.

Another one to go on the list of celebrity City fans.

Great thread this, and nice to hear from an ex player on that 07/08 side as well as our current team’s aspirations. 

I had no idea until last night that Palace had José Fonte at CB during those play-off matches, as well as a 17 year old Victor Moses and also a young Scott Sinclair! 

I also found an article relating to the league game where we beat Palace 1-0 in Dec 2008 down the gate (Maynard winner) and it all apparently kicked off in the tunnel due to @Michael McIndoe throwing a bottle at Nick Carle?! :whistle:

Jeez imagine if we’d have had Maynard from Summer 07 instead... 

11 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

@Michael McIndoe I’d be interested to know about the dynamic between Lee and Gary. Would a casual observer have had any idea he was his son? Treated differently etc? Was there any ill feeling from anyone about it?

I can answer the last bit, yes there was and still is ill feeling. A few of the more prominent senior pros from the 06 -08 squad talked me and my mates through it once, they had a strong belief certain players held us back and weren't picked on merit.

This is turning into one of my most favourite threads in recent years. Great to hear the views of a former player of this club on matters past and present, especially one of my favourite players from that team. Hopefully Michael McIndoe will be a regular poster here in the future.

Archived