IGNORED

The Semi final

Ska Junkie

It’s a tricky call.

When they play teams who sit back they often go 2 or sometimes 1 at the back. I would say defend with Bryan  dropping into CM from out wide as with Brownhill on the right and then exploit the wide areas away from the 1 or 2 defenders forcing to drag them out of position. If you force there attacks to wide areas you would bet Flint and Bakes will win most headers from crosses, if we win the ball back we try and break on the opposite flank where more space has been created. 

I tell you what, it’s an easy game when you say it like that. 

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Burnley did , or at least tried to yesterday PB

Its a brave call as if they beat the press early you can be sliced apart

But we need to be brave and do so where we can (Id actually mix our game , do it for periods and for periods drop off and try and take a breather when we need)

Yes Bob, it seems they did it for the first hour and to great effect, then 2 quick goals undid them. But I’m sure we had people watching that game yesterday and will have learned quite a few things from the game.

I agree with all you say, it also depends on who plays for them on Tuesday, Aguero changed the Burnley game because he is simply world class around the box, hopefully he doesn’t play!!.

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/bristol-city-h-pre-match-thread.332412/

Now that we are within touching distance of Pep's first trophy at City, I would play the strongest team with the exception of Bravo as he has won us two penalty shootouts. Try and get the tie won in the first leg and then we can rest the big guns in the second leg. 

:help:

Bravo 
Walker Stones Otamendi Delph 
Fernandinho 
Sterling KDB Silva Sané. 
:unsure:
Aguero :unsure:

:no: :sweatingbullets:

:laughcont:

‘ Pep's first trophy at City ‘

Forgot that   :unsure:

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/bristol-city-h-pre-match-thread.332412/

Now that we are within touching distance of Pep's first trophy at City, I would play the strongest team with the exception of Bravo as he has won us two penalty shootouts. Try and get the tie won in the first leg and then we can rest the big guns in the second leg. 

:help:

Bravo 
Walker Stones Otamendi Delph 
Fernandinho 
Sterling KDB Silva Sané. 
:unsure:
Aguero :unsure:

:no: :sweatingbullets:

:laughcont:

‘ Pep's first trophy at City ‘

Forgot that   :unsure:

What a weak team, who the hell is Aguero?  Silva? And Sterling? They playing a £5 note on the wing? 

We’ll be walking away with a 5-0 win if they play that team! COYR!!

:sad26:

14 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Thing is their defensive players are comfortable on the ball, that's exactly why they're playing for a Pep side. I don't really see any weaknesses at all in their side bar the keeper Bravo who I guess will be playing Tuesday. 

I agree, the defensive players are all comfortable on the ball, but they are very rarely pressed when they have it. 

Me and you would be comfortable on the ball when given the time most teams give Man City’s defenders :rolleyes:!! we have to make life uncomfortable for them, that’s my thoughts.

One of our has posted on their pre match thread

Thankfully someone sensible who posted a very sensible / good post IMHO

Bristol here. Firstly, we all know what we’re up against!, you have a fantastic squad of players and the worlds best manager/coach.
What I will say though, is that we won’t come and park the bus, far from it. You will have no doubt seen how we played against ‘that other’ Manchester team in the last round!,well what you saw is how we play. 
The last two games ( and defeats) against Villa and Watford are explainable to a degree. The Villa game was a game too far for the same players who played about 4 games in 10 days, this due to a long injury list which has meant the team virtually picked itself. 
The Watford game today was played by a virtual reserve side and 2-3 young lads making their debuts. 
75% of side that plays you on Tuesday will have had 8 days rest. 
In some respects we play the same style as yourself’s ( your just a lot better at it than us!), we will play quick possession football and press you as high as we can when you have the ball. 
I don’t see this changing on Tuesday, if we sit back and surrender possession you will take us apart, as you have done to just about everyone else.
There probably isn’t one Bristol City fan who thinks we will beat you over two legs, but we are in a cup semi final and we will make the most of it whatever!.
I’ve a lot of respect for your support, most of you will have been through the ‘shite’ years and must now be living the dream, we have had a lot of shite for a lot of years!!! We will enjoy Tuesday whatever the result, see you there.

For me, honestly, result comes second. 

Might sound a bit cliche, but after the disappointment of two defeats in the league, and a third yesterday in the cup, I’d be happy with putting in a performance that shows the boys are ready to start 2018 playing the way we can play again and that the belief is still there. 

Looking forward to the game, not dismissing it - just want the performance, whatever the result (obviously not getting spanked), to filter positively into our league form and give us a bounce for Norwich to get going in the league again.

To see us in a semi final of a major cup competition however Mickey Mouse is unbelievable. I will never forget this season and I am immensely proud to be a city fan. Whatever happens I will be watching the second leg from some random bar in Madrid and convincing those Real & Atletico Madrid fans that they all have a new second team.

These games are insanity - on paper they just shouldn't be happening.

Man City v Bristol City in a Semi-final.  It seems lunacy to even think of such a thing!

Whatever happens, even if it something harsh like a 7-2 aggregate defeat, let nothing take away from the grandeur of these games.

I will always maintain that December 20th 2017 was our true cup final - and we won it!

I really can’t see us sitting back, I just think at times it will be inevitable we will come under immense pressure so it could look at times that we are. 

I think the key is how we cope when we are under pressure. We have a good footballing side and they just have to have total focus on reading the play and not waiting for the play to happen. 

Like Man Utd, they may become casual at times thinking they’ve got it at any moment they want. We must be ready for those periods because we do have the quality there to surprise them.

Its hard for me to look at the game practically as they are one of the best teams on the globe & I am still lost in the pride & romance of our achievement.

Still clinging to the slimmest hope, feel losing 4-2 or 5-3 maybe more likely than 2-0 say & that would keep the dream alive.

Football has changed so, so much in 29 years but was wondering how we felt before the 1st leg at Forest; they were the only team that seemed to threaten Liverpool back then with a team of Pearce, Clough + lots of solid names I still remember now. What hope did we carry then?

As plenty of others have said, even a heavy defeat won't disappoint as long as we make them earn it.

Coyr

Lots of good, sensible posts here. :clap:

In terms of tactics, I see 2 things that we can ‘ must do.

1. Not give the ball away cheaply - the less chasing we have to do the better.  Even if that means knocking it across the back, into midfield, back into the back four.  If it’s 75:25 possession to MC, we’ll be run ragged.

2. High press only when we have our shape - that might be off their keeper, it might be when they gave it in midfield.  We cannot do it off the cuff, they’ll pick us apart, and we’ll waste energy.

Of course doing that won’t be easy, but I don’t think we can high press to the extent we usually do.

Think we will go more 451/4411, than a true 442.  Can see Joe going into LB, Pato in front of him, and Walsh getting his debut, if he can get up to speed with our tactics and pressing triggers.

Can't wait for Tuesday night, as others have said, Man Utd was a night no one will forget, whatever happens in the semi-finals now is just a bonus and a very proud moment for all connected with the club.

We may well get a hammering, but even if we do concede 2, 3, 4 or whatever, I hope (i'm sure we will) the nearly 8000 strong Red Army continue to sing and support no matter what happens.

The lads deserve that, and as a famous film once said; 'let's make them remember the time they played Bristol City'. COYR

6 minutes ago, KingLear said:

Can't wait for Tuesday night, as others have said, Man Utd was a night no one will forget, whatever happens in the semi-finals now is just a bonus and a very proud moment for all connected with the club.

We may well get a hammering, but even if we do concede 2, 3, 4 or whatever, I hope (i'm sure we will) the nearly 8000 strong Red Army continue to sing and support no matter what happens.

The lads deserve that, and as a famous film once said; 'let's make them remember the time they played Bristol City'. COYR

Great post

:thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, KingLear said:

:city:

9 minutes ago, KingLear said:

:clap::clap:

Realistically, going at them early and scoring first, then going on to lose 2-1 or 3-1 is the best "likely" outcome I can see. I think we need to land the first punch. Playing for the draw might work but I have a horrible feeling if we concede first, we'll go on to concede a few more without reply and make the second leg academic.

I know in two legged football playing away first you set out to "defend" the draw, but I don't think that suits us. We're better pressing and controlling the ball in midfield and forward positions than we are sitting back and soaking up pressure. The players believe in themselves more when they play football than defend (see: last season). 

So I reckon we need something more tangible for the players to believe in and cling onto. Against Man Utd simply playing at home in a one-off match was enough for the players to respond, but over two legs I don't think they'll have that same confidence in the first leg, unless we can get in there early and create an advantage to fight for.

No one underestimate how much help we can give the players on Tuesday night and the effect it can have

Vital we back them for 90 mins and loudly

Even if we come up short it will give the players , and us supporters a night that we will never forget

Its what football is absolutely everything about

:city::trumpet:

Up and at 'em, isn't it.

Attack, attack, attack

Press, press, press

Oooh, is that little Reid scoring?

Jumpers for goalposts, anyone?

Bryan with another shocker

Is that the time?  My...

Park the bus

Clinging on for dear god

And that's the final whistle, 2-1 to us