IGNORED

The Semi final

Ska Junkie

15 hours ago, KingLear said:

Yeah I forgot about the stupid away goals rule in this competition.

So if I remember correctly, if the scores are level after both legs then extra time is played.

If the scores are still level after extra time then the away goals rule comes into play. 

Nice and simple :blink:

So in theory the team in the second leg have an extra 30 minutes in ET to score an away goal, doesn't seem fair to me?

3 minutes ago, Chippy_boy said:

Honestly, I think Bristol's best chance is to sit back and defend for your lives and hope to catch Man City on the break.  This "pressing high" idea, although it causes City some issues will imo result in City beating the press and bypassing your midfield and being through on your goal, more times than it creates chances for you.  If Ederson plays (though I suspect he won't) then it's a non-starter, but even with Bravo in goal I think (Man) City will beat the press more often than not.

Parking the bus and defending like your lives depend on it, could gain a 0-0 to take back to Bristol, which imo would be a tremendous result for you.

Ahh we’ve catered for that Chippy

We are going  to press but have a cunn8ng plan to get 15 outfield players on the pitch and will be playing 5-4-2-3

:thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Minor amendment James :thumbsup:

:yes:

It's OK BBSB, they are worried. This fan want them to start 14 players against us

Will not be an easy match. They beat Watford 3-2, Stoke 2-0, Crystal Palace 4-1, and the rags 2-1. Full strength + Bravo, Danilo and Diaz

Saw this on Man City’s forum

Dont know whether it helps our USA based Reds

Just in case anyone else in the US hasn't figured this out yet, the game will be on ESPN3 on Tuesday. Like an idiot, I've only been checking the TV schedule for the earlier rounds and just assumed it wasn't on over here...

15 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

It'll be interesting to see who our 2nd striker sub spot goes to. Taylor will be on the bench but who with I wonder. Be  Hinds or Engvall imo considering Walsh is almost certainly going to be on the bench.

Given what we saw at Watford I'd be tempted to give Engvall the bench spot.  He looked bright and strong against Watford and just lacked that arrogance to go for the shot that you need in a striker.  Constantly keeping him out of the matchday squad isn't going to build that at all.

Saw this on the Man City forum, not very confident are they:yawn:, stick this on the dressing room door LJ.

Like getting home before 2 am on a work night . So they have money to pay bills. Not have to endure the blue car park hell......read more trams thread.
I will watch it on tv and be in bed 10 mins later. Yes we are going to Wembley. Already booked trains etc.

51 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Most Premier League sides have sat back and got torn apart.

The teams that have caused issues have been the ones who have pressed.

Also, abandoning what we know for the complete opposite means asking our players to play an unfamiliar style, further reducing any chance we have.

The last sentence I will accept since I am sure you know much more than me about your own team.

However, the first bit is just not true.  The teams that have had a go at us, have in the main been well beaten or thrashed.  Teams that have sat back and defended have tended to lose by 1 goal.  Still, if it's not in your DNA to do that, fair enough.  It should make for an entertaining game.

FWIW, I give Bristol a pretty decent chance, not least since I suspect Pep will field a fairly weak side, with the idea that if he can get through the tie whilst resting players, so much the better.  And at the same time, should we (Man City) draw or lose tomorrow, he can send the big guns down to Bristol to try to rescue it if needed.  David Silva will likely stay in Spain imo and also imo, Pep will stick KDB on the bench.  Without those two playing, we are a shadow of our normal selves.

18 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Do you think the fact you are 187 points clear (roughly) at the top of the table means Pep will pick a stronger side than he might otherwise have done? To put it another way, are you serious about the “quadruple” and is this game actually more important than a Premier League game that you can easily afford to lose?

It's only the press keeps mentioning the quadruple, none of our fans that I know think it's possible. The only people on social media I see going on about are manyoo fans, so they can try and use it against us when we get knocked out of one of the competitions, how the might fall, eh?

I reckon Guardiola will play a pretty strong side as he will want a decent result going into the second leg, plus we have until the Sunday for our next game. We can expect to see Bravo in goal, he deserves his place, but apart from that, I expect a near full strength side, with maybe only Silva missing, he's gone back to Spain, to be with his missus and little Mateo, his son that was extremely premature.

2 hours ago, Chippy_boy said:

Honestly, I think Bristol's best chance is to sit back and defend for your lives and hope to catch Man City on the break.  This "pressing high" idea, although it causes City some issues will imo result in City beating the press and bypassing your midfield and being through on your goal, more times than it creates chances for you.  If Ederson plays (though I suspect he won't) then it's a non-starter, but even with Bravo in goal I think (Man) City will beat the press more often than not.

Parking the bus and defending like your lives depend on it, could gain a 0-0 to take back to Bristol, which imo would be a tremendous result for you.

I hope we don’t park the bus unless we are holding on to something (highly unlikely). We are s good footballing side and in all reality no one including ourselves give us much chance of going through. I would be pleased to gain plaudits from Pep and the City fans for the style of football we play and not be criticised for doing what other clubs do and go ultra defensive 

we have players who can hurt any team as Man U found out even with those missing due to injury so give it a go, be bold and brave and see what happens - we don’t expect to beat you!

19 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I hope we don’t park the bus unless we are holding on to something (highly unlikely). We are s good footballing side and in all reality no one including ourselves give us much chance of going through. I would be pleased to gain plaudits from Pep and the City fans for the style of football we play and not be criticised for doing what other clubs do and go ultra defensive 

we have players who can hurt any team as Man U found out even with those missing due to injury so give it a go, be bold and brave and see what happens - we don’t expect to beat you!

Fair enough mate.  I wish you well however it pans out.

Hopefully we'll be playing you in the league next season!

I was a bit dour and pessimistic.

Wouldn't exactly class myself optimistic now- just look at what we are up against- but definitely we have to try as best we can to play our natural game- or as close to it as we can get!

We won't park the bus, indeed parking the bus would be a style totally alien to this team and would diminish our chances further.

On 07/01/2018 at 03:08, Ska Junkie said:

We'll have a right good go regardless my friend.

Reading their forum, they're expecting us to 'park the bus' and I'm not sure we can do that, even if we wanted to. Up and at them is the way I want us to go, if we get pummeled, so be it!

It's the City way as far as I'm concerned (but we're in the tie if we get a 0-2). ;)

Play our "usual way"...press and pass,take the game to them as much as possible though we may see less of the ball than Utd allowed us!

Archived