IGNORED

The Semi final

Ska Junkie

3 hours ago, reformed_red said:

Ultimately it's 11v11. (And they've got a very good 11 (and beyond)).

But so did Man Red.

You say Sane, I say Rashford.

You say Aguero, I say Ibrahimovic.

You say DeBrunye, I say Pogba.

You say Sterling, I say Martial. 

You say David Silva, I say McTommin....:facepalm:

I say we've got a chance.

You say potato , I say patato...

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Burnley did , or at least tried to yesterday PB

Its a brave call as if they beat the press early you can be sliced apart

But we need to be brave and do so where we can (Id actually mix our game , do it for periods and for periods drop off and try and take a breather when we need)

@Portland Bill

I believe to some extent Shakhtar and especially Napoli did also.

Though Man City eventually beat Napoli home and away and Shakhtar beat them in Ukraine but lost 2-0 in Manchester, in those games- all 4- Man City had a LOT of problems.

Be very interesting to see how LJ approaches the away leg. 

There is any point in trying to park the bus? Are we capable of parking the bus?

Do we fight fire with fire? 

Either way I see nothing but a beasting. Goals goals and lots more goals! 

I think 3-1 is as good as we can hope for. 

34 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’d bite your hand off for a one goal deficit and I’d probably struggle to turn down a two goal deficit.

Anything that makes the first goal in the second leg meaningful would be good. That would guarantee an atmosphere and a sense of occasion.

That, in a nutshell, is the whole point of the thread CR. I agree with you, I just want us to have a chance, no matter how small, after the first leg. If it's close, Pep is more likely to play the big guns at our place while a 2 goal deficit, might mean he plays their kids giving us a glimmer. Any more than 2 and it's probably too big a gap to pull back.

I am a Bristol City fundamentalist. We always have a chance. Ask Leeds Utd or Liverpool or Chelsea. Yes this is a very good team, but in the words of Shankly ,we are not so bad either...

Flint is chomping at the bit to face Aguero and Bryan must be salivating at the thought of a foot race with Sterling. 

This is our third attempt at a League Cup semi final win and you know what they say about 3rd time lucky. 

Just get behind them and give it everything you have where ever you are. 

Good luck getting up there and back to all

COYR.

Days like This are the reason we support our club and we have a chance. 

If, (and it's a big "if")  we get to the final or win either of the two games it will be the sensation of the year (so far).

If we draw either game it will be a fantastic achievement.

If we lose both games, but don't get hammered, we will have done well.

If we get hammered both games (god forbid), it'll only be what most people (outside of BCFC) expected anyway.

We have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

Whatever happens, we will have gained a lot more respect, attracted thousands(?) of new followers and served notice of our intentions and future potential.

I think we need to be within 2 goals of them to have any chance in the second leg but, as others have said, I'll enjoy it no matter what. For my money, the current Man City side are as good a team as I ever remember playing in the top flight (i.e. going back to the early 90s). If De Bruyne, Aguero, Sterling and Sane play to the best of their ability then there are scarcely any teams even in the Premier League that can cope with them but it's brilliant for our players to test themselves against the best and it's brilliant for us as fans to get a chance to watch them.

All I really hope is every single one of our players gives a performance they can feel proud of and ends the game on Tuesday feeling they've done all they possibly could. Beyond that, we'll just have to see what happens. 

Hello Chaps - Man City supporter here - I come in peace!

I'm from Manchester and been a Man City supporter since 1966, so I'd like to think I do not fall under the category of glory hunter!  (Although I was in '66 when I was 5 years old ;-)

But I've lived in Bristol now for 36 years and truly consider myself dual nationality as it were!  So on to Tuesday, my word, what mixed emotions.  I honestly cannot say who I want to go through to the final, but if forced to choose, I'd have to say Bristol.  (Did I really say that????!? Wash my mouth out.)  Seriously it's a really tough thing to choose.  Being out of the league cup would not be a disaster for us, considering the other competitions were are still in, and it would be marvellous to see Bristol City at Wembley in February.

I wish you all the luck in the world on Tuesday and on the return leg.  I don't know whether I'll cheer or cry when either side scores!

The league cup has the stupid away goals only after extra time rule, which is a disadvantage to the team playing home in the 2nd leg. For example - imagine we drew 0-0 at the Etihad and then it was 0-0 after normal time. If Man C now score in extra time we would need two goals as there away goal now counts double. So if it was 1-1 at the end of extra time the would go through. 

A more painful example would be - we draw 1-1 at the Etihad and 0-0 at the Gate. Away goals don't count yet so it goes to ET and we draw that 2-2 Man C then go through on away goals! despite the fact, we would have scored more away goals in normal time.

2 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

The league cup has the stupid away goals only after extra time rule, which is a disadvantage to the team playing home in the 2nd leg. For example - imagine we drew 0-0 at the Etihad and then it was 0-0 after normal time. If Man C now score in extra time we would need two goals as there away goal now counts double. So if it was 1-1 at the end of extra time the would go through. 

A more painful example would be - we draw 1-1 at the Etihad and 0-0 at the Gate. Away goals don't count yet so it goes to ET and we draw that 2-2 Man C then go through on away goals! despite the fact, we would have scored more away goals in normal time.

Goood point / post

Always Thought this

The Away goals should become irrelevant after 90 mins of 2nd leg

Guess they would argue we get an extra 30 mins in front of our own fans

In fact Away goals shouldn’t be a factor in this competition

24 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Goood point / post

Always Thought this

The Away goals should become irrelevant after 90 mins of 2nd leg

Guess they would argue we get an extra 30 mins in front of our own fans

In fact Away goals shouldn’t be a factor in this competition

We 'll just have to beat them fair and square in normal time .

6 hours ago, WelshRobin said:

Going into the home leg less than 3 down still gives us a ghost of a chance. If we are to lose it would be good for Man City to be in a position where they are going to put out a fairly weak team but be not so far ahead it'd not unimaginable to turn it around. 3-0 down feels a bit too much of a deficit to bring home.

Being 3-0 down second leg will give us perhaps the longest odds quoted to turn that around. For me this game is just a novel distraction, it will provide a good test for the squad, and just maybe what we will have to do to adapt the the Prem, but as said anything less than 3-0 will be OK. Man City are light years ahead of anyone else this season, and it will be interesting to see just how good we are.

Rationally, it is almost impossible to see how we do this over two legs. The only thing I hang on to is ‘it’s football’.

Sadly the times they have been pushed closest seem to have been when somebody has adopted an anti-football approach against them. The extreme example was Newcastle who had eleven behind the ball from the first moment, and went down 1-0. It’s not that we should not do that, I just do not think we are capable of it. It has not been our approach or our style.

They are simply superb on the break. Often when teams have gone a goal down and started to chase the game a bit, they have blinked and found they have let in three or four pretty quickly. A surprising number of the goals we have let in have been when teams have broken against us, even at this level. I fear that we are exactly the right sort of team for them to play well against.

Everything needs to go our way on the day. Our best hope is that they make a fair few changes who do not quite click as a team. Make them score good goals rather than ones where we have messed up. Let them know they are in a game, and take any chances that come our way.

It is the longest of long shots. Sometimes however they do happen.

50 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

True. But then, the team playing at home in the second leg get 120 minutes of football at home and only 90 minutes away, so get an advantage that way.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Think we will go more 451/4411, than a true 442.  Can see Joe going into LB, Pato in front of him, and Walsh getting his debut, if he can get up to speed with our tactics and pressing triggers.

I have wondered about this, too.

Leaving aside who plays in goal, the only selection choice LJ really has to make is whether to go with the same outfield 10 that beat Man U (and Boro & Reading) or find a way of getting (in his opinion) our best LB, Bryan, back in his best position.

There are two ways to do so, either play a back five, but that surrenders too much of the pitch, the other is as you say, Dave, is by moving Pato back to wide left and giving Walsh a debut in a midfield five.

I don't think LJ is completely convinced by Hörður at LB so I would not be too shocked to see Walsh start on Tuesday.

Let's be honest.

Nobody in English game has stretched them in a footballing sense this year...maybe Arsenal on a good day might, perhaps Tottenham and Liverpool might have their moments also.

However, I suspect if anyone- in either leg but especially this one- thinks we will have as much of the game as v Man Utd they will be bitterly disappointed. 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 seems much more likely to me than a 4-4-2...as @Davefevs says in fact.

In a footballing sense, Shakhtar and Napoli are the 2 who have caused them most bother this year. Surprising given the amount of cash sloshing about in our PL but there we go.

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I have wondered about this, too.

Leaving aside who plays in goal, the only selection choice LJ really has to make is whether to go with the same outfield 10 that beat Man U (and Boro & Reading) or find a way of getting (in his opinion) our best LB, Bryan, back in his best position.

There are two ways to do so, either play a back five, but that surrenders too much of the pitch, the other is as you say, Dave, is by moving Pato back to wide left and giving Walsh a debut in a midfield five.

I don't think LJ is completely convinced by Hörður at LB so I would not be too shocked to see Walsh start on Tuesday.

Anyone know how bad Korey`s knock was from yesterday? I can`t see us risking him if he`s not 100% and it would mean Walsh could play.

It's getting enough of the ball to cause them serious issues isn't it? Especially the away game.

I predict at most we'll have 30 percent possession Tuesday. But in a way you're right about the defence, sometimes attack or pressing at least can be best form of defence...if you believe many though they are now the best side in all of Europe.

The problem is though their depth.

No Walker? Hello Brazil full back Danilo.

Kompany made of glass? Worry not, Otamendi has really improved under Pep.

Mangala and Bravo are dodgy backup mind! For Stones and Ederson.

Mendy injured- worry not Delph, player who looked on way out- suddenly new left back?? Dunno who replaces Delph though.

Let's rest De Bruyne, Silva, Fernandinho...hello to Yaya Toure Gundogan, Foden.

I know...Sane, Aguero, Sterling all need resting. Tbh given Jesus injured, unsure who except Bernardo Silva would step into that front 3.

Point is they have some ludicrous depth and if they mix and match it...well I hope for the best but it's mission impossible over 2 legs isn't it? Sadly.

1 hour ago, BCFC Richard said:

Is this definitely correct? I had always assumed that only away goals scored in the first 180 minutes of the tie were relevant to the away goals rule. It does seem unfair, although I suppose the counter argument is that you benefit from home advantage for an additional 30 minutes.

Archived