IGNORED

Samu Saiz

Super

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I confess to being a little surprised that spitting is seen as thsuch a heinous offence these days.  Very unpleasant undoubtedly, but if push came to shove I'd rather be spat at than have my leg broken.

I play football every week and as part of that I accept that a risk I take is I may break my leg. I do not expect to ever be spat at. 

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I confess to being a little surprised that spitting is seen as thsuch a heinous offence these days.  Very unpleasant undoubtedly, but if push came to shove I'd rather be spat at than have my leg broken.

It's not either/or. A player should be able to play the game without being spat at or having their leg broken.

Spitting at another human being is as low as it gets.

5 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Spitting at another human being is as low as it gets.

Is it?  Why? I can think of a lot of things I would consider worse.  Perhaps it's a generational thing - spitting wasn't considered quite so bad when I were a nipper (though I remember it being specifically banned on buses in Cardiff!).

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Is it?  Why? I can think of a lot of things I would consider worse.  Perhaps it's a generational thing - spitting wasn't considered quite so bad when I were a nipper (though I remember it being specifically banned on buses in Cardiff!).

I'm 62 and can never recall a time when spitting at someone was considered to be acceptable behaviour.

14 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Broken legs rarely happens because of pre meditation, spitting at an opponent is vile and disgusting and is totally pre meditated.

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Not a generational thing, just shows self respect, good manners and most importantly a good upbringing.

22 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

A broken leg is a risk taken when you play football, and sometimes come about as a freak accident from a perfectly good tackle, like Luke Shaws one last season.

Spitting at someone is a deliberate action, and a vile thing to do.

19 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Blimey, you must have been brought up posh!

I’d suggest that if you were okay with being spat at, that you didn’t do enough to stop it being done to you!!

Spitting at someone is definitely right up there with one of the worst things someone could do to another person (it’s a vile & disgusting thing to do) & something I would never accept or would ever lower myself to doing it, I’d say it’s a respect thing & if you have a level of disrespect for someone that you would spit on them, they would of had to of done something ridiculously bad against you, not just of been on the same football pitch as another person!!

Spitting at someone is worse than punching someone or something similar as far as I’m concerned. It very rare that someone will set out to break another players leg on a football pitch & if someone does set out to physically injure someone then don’t deserve to be playing that chosen sport. If someone spits at another human, they deserve knocking out!

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It's the one thing that fires me up. Don't get as angry being sworn or shouted at but if someone spat at/on me I'd lose my shit. It's the one thing that would make me turn to violence.

It is disgusting.... But it is certainly one of those things that seems to gain the weight of bigger punishment. 

I'd sooner see cheating get a bigger punishment than spitting, but the punters don't seem to mind cheating so much. 

6 games for spitting. You months for cheating please. 

5 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I agree that I'd rather be spat at than have a broken leg, but spitting is disgusting and has no place in football. Legs can get broken with no intention and we don't want to make football a non contact sport do we?!?

4 hours ago, Saunders87 said:

6 games for spitting, and formino is only looking at 8 for racism. And i agree that 6 games should be handed to someone who does this but if racism is only 8 then 6 does seem harsh in that context. Good news tho that he misses our game.

Racism shout be a straight 10 game ban. Kick it out!

5 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Whilst I agree that the heinous act of spitting at a fellow player is far worse than breaking his leg, whether accidentally or otherwise, I must confess I think I would rather wake up the morning following a match to find some gob on my shirt than my leg in a plaster cast.

In respect of the highlighted part of your post, I remember clearly when I first came to France that a sign in the guest house I was staying stated clearly: 

'No Smoking, No Loud Music, No Spitting'.

I was quite shocked that the owner felt it necessary to remind his guests not to spit, but the Chinese, in particular, refer often to 'The Spit God' and consider expelling mucus as being healthy/clearing toxins and, of course, Africans from Yemen to Somalia chew 'Khat', witness the ubiquitous red residue from their spittle.     

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

It is disgusting.... But it is certainly one of those things that seems to gain the weight of bigger punishment. 

I'd sooner see cheating get a bigger punishment than spitting, but the punters don't seem to mind cheating so much. 

6 games for spitting. You months for cheating please. 

The people who run football you know Skysports and the like don't mind cheating but they don't like spitting, hence the suspensions.

35 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Whilst I agree that the heinous act of spitting at a fellow player is far worse than breaking his leg, whether accidentally or otherwise, I must confess I think I would rather wake up the morning following a match to find some gob on my shirt than my leg in a plaster cast.

In respect of the highlighted part of your post, I remember clearly when I first came to France that a sign in the guest house I was staying stated clearly: 

'No Smoking, No Loud Music, No Spitting'.

I was quite shocked that the owner felt it necessary to remind his guests not to spit, but the Chinese, in particular, refer often to 'The Spit God' and consider expelling mucus as being healthy/clearing toxins and, of course, Africans from Yemen to Somalia chew 'Khat', witness the ubiquitous red residue from their spittle.     

One of the first pubs I went into - mid 70's - had a spittoon, right next to the fireplace.

Archived