IGNORED

Marlon Pack?

YoungRed

Would just like to ask the question to get everyone's opinion on in my eyes without a doubt our Best midfielder. Seems like Pack doesn't get the plaudits he deserves by fans or LJ as seems Brownhill and Smith would get the nod ahead of him if could only play 2 out of the 3. All good players but just think Pack is the only player who never stops wanting the ball and will always look to play forward.

50 minutes ago, YoungRed said:

Would just like to ask the question to get everyone's opinion on in my eyes without a doubt our Best midfielder. Seems like Pack doesn't get the plaudits he deserves by fans or LJ as seems Brownhill and Smith would get the nod ahead of him if could only play 2 out of the 3. All good players but just think Pack is the only player who never stops wanting the ball and will always look to play forward.

I like Pack. I think he has a lot of attributes that suit our play and this level of football. But for me no way is he above Smith or Brownhill. 

With regard to "never stops wanting the ball" I think that applies to all three of them. And as for "will always look to play the ball forward" I'm afraid I just disagree, he doesn't. And when he does he is sometimes painfully slow at releasing it.

Please don't mistake me though, I think he's a good player and is well worth his place in the side but I just don't see it quite the same way you do.

6 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

I like Pack. I think he has a lot of attributes that suit our play and this level of football. But for me no way is he above Smith or Brownhill. 

With regard to "never stops wanting the ball" I think that applies to all three of them. And as for "will always look to play the ball forward" I'm afraid I just disagree, he doesn't. And when he does he is sometimes painfully slow at releasing it.

Please don't mistake me though, I think he's a good player and is well worth his place in the side but I just don't see it quite the same way you do.

This.

Would argue that Pack has been arguably more important than Brownhill so far this season but believe Brownhill to be technically better. Glad I'm not in charge of team selections as it would give me a headache trying to choose who should party Smith in midfield.

1 minute ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

This.

Would argue that Pack has been arguably more important than Brownhill so far this season but believe Brownhill to be technically better. Glad I'm not in charge of team selections as it would give me a headache trying to choose who should party Smith in midfield.

Both different players for me. I find it interesting how most fans agree with you that Smith is the guaranteed starter. Personally I think we look best with all 3 on the pitch as they all bring something different.

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Agree but they all bring something differentiator the party. Pack has the best pass since Tinman and is a popular man in the team. 

I’m pretty sure that when Tinnion made long diagonal passes 9 out of 10 didn’t go out of play 

Marlon is coolness personified when on the ball. He rarely loses his head... However sometimes that can led to mistakes like wolves.

He brings something different to all the other midfielders we have. He is the best long ball player we have, is the best in the air and has the best positional sense. If he had any pace i honestly think he would get more plaudits. 

Every squad needs a marlon. He brings something different to our other options in midfield. He wins a lot of headers that if he wasnt there flint would have to come and head. There comes a time when the team is under pressure where you need someone to get hold of the ball and remain calm and slow the game down, thats where marlon excels. Yes his passing could be more accurate at times and he could have a bit more pace but then he wouldn't be here he would be in the prem! 

2 hours ago, YoungRed said:

Both different players for me. I find it interesting how most fans agree with you that Smith is the guaranteed starter. Personally I think we look best with all 3 on the pitch as they all bring something different.

Think all three are different.  I like all 3 on the pitch too.  I think there are pros and cons of whichever 2 you pick.

I have no issue in us playing a bit lopsided, e.g. Pato or O’Dowda Left, with Brownhill playing a bit inside on the right.

25 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Marlon is coolness personified when on the ball. He rarely loses his head... However sometimes that can led to mistakes like wolves.

He brings something different to all the other midfielders we have. He is the best long ball player we have, is the best in the air and has the best positional sense. If he had any pace i honestly think he would get more plaudits. 

If Marlon had any 'pace' he wouldn't be here.It's the only thing he lacks but he makes up for it in so many other ways

24 minutes ago, Neo said:

Pack is a great athlete and I like that he always wants the ball but passing ability is not actually great above 10 yards sideways or backwards.

He does not push us forward like Brownhill and Smith do

Well that’s rubbish...were you at the game vs Man Utd? If so, did you miss the sublime FORWARD pass by Marlon Pack to Joe for his wonder goal? Totally fed up with people saying Pack never passes forward, total rubbish...

Why?  Because he played the same line as Baker - the player who sets the line - and allowed Doherty to be 3 yards behind him in an offside position.  Oh, but Wright didn’t get up, playing him on.  It ain’t always the player closest that’s the one to blame.

And then Frankie compounded it by having a ‘moment’.

1 hour ago, Red Rag said:

Try magers for that one.

Frankie should never have been there, he needed to use his brain and back himself to save a shot not come charging out like a mad man, even if they had scored we were still 11 v 10. 

As I said after the Villa game, his performance that day showed exactly why he cannot seem to hold down a permanent place in the team and saw him not for the first time this season replaced at half time.

When he sticks to LJ's script for 90 minutes he is a great player, it's when he doesn't that obviously exasperates LJ at times ala Villa and Hull just off of the top of my head.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

As I said after the Villa game, his performance that day showed exactly why he cannot seem to hold down a permanent place in the team and saw him not for the first time this season replaced at half time.

When he sticks to LJ's script for 90 minutes he is a great player, it's when he doesn't that obviously exasperates LJ at times ala Villa and Hull just off of the top of my head.

Everyone in the team was poor v villa. Brownhill had a mare. Hutton tackled him and then went past him every time. 

OP asked about Marlon Pack. This debate seems to have turned into Pack v Brownhill.

I think we have to recognize Packs improvement over the last 3 seasons. A player Cotts discarded at Portsmouth was a player he came to rely on, and probably not his first choice. But it was a journey.

But it was progress for Marlon, learning and taking responsibility rather than playing below par. It was after all league 1 to championship and a steep learning curve and he has navigated it with flying colors.

But it's been an upgrade for him. An upgrade for our team and it must be recognised that our training team has elevated him from a league one player to a top holding midfielder in the championship. 

Pack has benefited from great coaching and a team structure that suits his style of play. He had more presence than Brownhill. For me Brownhill has been off the boil last few games... But can you really point the finger and give the lad a hard time. No. Absolutely no. But during that period of exhausted players... Pack v Brownhill. Pack for me. Brownhill really suffered. But that is down to Pack's endeavour.

Pack does what Pack does well because he plays in team that has a structure and plan. Great player. Great engine and has a range of passing which elevates him.

If a premier league team comes in for him I would not be surprised. Like JB still improving. More to come. Well done Marlon

Stevo 

34 minutes ago, westonred said:

is not attacking enough he seldom breaks into the oppositions box 

????????  That is not his role!!!. He plays in front of our central defensive pairing. He breaks up play and is responsible for transitioning defence into attack. . He has a very disciplined position and plays it well. 

If you want him to score goals... Then you will continue to be disappointed with him. 

We all have our own opinions. But you are way off fella

5 minutes ago, Sparkz 76 said:

Personally if we sign a quality winger I feel it would be Smith and Brownhill in the centre with Walsh and pack as rotation or back up

I feel I have to back Pack here. You would play Walsh ahead of Pack without even seeing him kick a ball?

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Why?  Because he played the same line as Baker - the player who sets the line - and allowed Doherty to be 3 yards behind him in an offside position.  Oh, but Wright didn’t get up, playing him on.  It ain’t always the player closest that’s the one to blame.

And then Frankie compounded it by having a ‘moment’.

Yea I am with you. Wright is so much further behind Bakes and Mags it is silly. Good 4-5 yards behind them both when the ball is played. Was he tracking a runner? Wright seems like a guy that senses danger and because he isn’t quick will track instead of chance being left for dead. Anyway, think Mags has gotten way too much stick for this. There were errors but there was also quality from Wolves. Sometimes you just get beat and we happened to compound that quality with a couple errors. 

27 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

????????  That is not his role!!!. He plays in front of our central defensive pairing. He breaks up play and is responsible for transitioning defence into attack. . He has a very disciplined position and plays it well. 

If you want him to score goals... Then you will continue to be disappointed with him. 

We all have our own opinions. But you are way off fella

You are right. Think people just think midfield two so he should be more box to box. Injuries have enhanced this imo. When our team is fit, the two central midfielders stay back a lot more. Our fullbacks push forward and our widemen become more central like attacking midfielders. Like a 424 or 4222. 

That said, when fully fit Marlon did not feature as much. Think that is to do with his lack of pace and lack of versatility. Smith is the quicker to close down and harrass opponents and Brownhill similar if not as good as Korey at it. Brownhill also offers that box to box threat and a willingness to shoot. So imo, smith and brownhill are our best pairing in a fully fit team. Think Brownhill is the best of them but only from a versatility standpoint. Korey and Pack do their jobs at a higher level than Brownhill but he is lightyears ahead of them going forward whereas I think he could do a similar job to Pack or Smith if they were injured. 

11 hours ago, harrys said:

I’m pretty sure that when Tinnion made long diagonal passes 9 out of 10 didn’t go out of play 

Pretty sure Pack doesn't either. 

FYI  - Pack is the guy in centre mid, not the guy between the sticks. You're obviously getting confused. 

Archived