IGNORED

Possibly Something Special Happening Here

Port Said Red

I know your memories play tricks and we are all guilty of living in the moment but....

I think I am watching the best Bristol City side I have ever seen right now, no matter what happens over the rest of the season they are playing at a different level right now.

Another exceptional performance albeit mostly defending from 60 minutes on. This will sound bizarre but being a goal down for the second leg might actually do us a favour. We have to play for a goal and when we do that well, we can look exceptional. Very impressed with this team.

Totally agree, the first 11 on that team sheet are the best collective team we have ever had.  You could replace certain individuals with better players from the past - i.e one of the outstanding forwards to have played for us during the years, but the way this team plays when all on point is phenomenal to behold.

Can't help thinking if we don't get promoted how many of these players will be gone next season though? Mid and lower level Premier League sides have seen us compete against five Premier League sides this season now and big money offers will happen.

13 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I know your memories play tricks and we are all guilty of living in the moment but....

I think I am watching the best Bristol City side I have ever seen right now, no matter what happens over the rest of the season they are playing at a different level right now.

The scary thing is that we aren’t even close to full strength. This is a seriously talented squad.

Saw a similar tweet about the United game which also applies here

Last night we had..

2 primarily centre halves playing right and left back 

A left back in left midfield 

A centre midfielder on the right

We missed Gary O’Neil, Milan Djuric, Famara Diedhiou, Callum O’Dowda, Eros Pisano and Arnie Garita

They started with a defence and keeper worth £127m, a midfield and attack worth £211m and had to bring on none other than Sergio Aguero to scrape a goal in added time.

Last night was a serious achievement by our squad.

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We missed Gary O’Neil, Milan Djuric, Famara Diedhiou, Callum O’Dowda, Eros Pisano and Arnie Garita

They started with a defence and keeper worth £127m, a midfield and attack worth £211m and had to bring on none other than Sergio Aguero to scrape a goal in added time.

Garita? :laughcont: ! hardly "missed" but admirable he is included in your list :)

One other point on their team's value - Sky said that our team cost £7M and theirs £360M. Actually the real comparison was that when they brought on walker they were bringing on a player that cost them more than seven times the cost of our entire team.

14 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

( After wanting lee after wanting Lee gone last season :facepalm:)

Been saying exactly this for a while since PSR

The only word I’d change is think - I’m certain something very special is happening / building here 

In 48 years - the best team ?

Not sure and in a achievement terms the 76 side will take some overtaking for now at least

But - Combining the present success together with some of the breathtaking football we play , add an incredible work and commitment ethic this side takes some beating and we havnt finished yet

And considering the level at which we are doing it - the best football I’ve ever seen a City side play

Fabulous 

:clapping:

44 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

Can't help thinking if we don't get promoted how many of these players will be gone next season though? Mid and lower level Premier League sides have seen us compete against five Premier League sides this season now and big money offers will happen.

Offers for players are inevitable for any successful side, but for the first time in a very long time I am thinking losses may make no difference provided we keep LJ. Under him we now have an identity, a footballing philosophy that says we are Bristol City, take us lightly if you dare! Who’s to say that if we lose players in their he summer, we don’t create another bunch of heroes to take their place, and play the Bristol City way. 

33 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The scary thing is that we aren’t even close to full strength. This is a seriously talented squad.

Last night we had..

I understand their finishing side was something like £750 million and ours £7 million 

They have some jaw dropping players who were very much at it and we went toe to toe with them and gave them a right ole game

So proud - Despite a defeat I’d put the performance above the United win

30 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Offers for players are inevitable for any successful side, but for the first time in a very long time I am thinking losses may make no difference provided we keep LJ. Under him we now have an identity, a footballing philosophy that says we are Bristol City, take us lightly if you dare! Who’s to say that if we lose players in their he summer, we don’t create another bunch of heroes to take their place, and play the Bristol City way. 

I agree and I would be suprised if we lose too many anyway. This is all about the TEAM - they know that and will lose it if they go.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Last night we had..

Absolutely.

Our depth is excellent and very promising- great to see.

Isn't Hegeler out injured too? He could have been that extra centre back or link between defence and midfield in the last 15...if fit.

Certainly the best squad I've seen (started in 1998) down here.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I understand their finishing side was something like £750 million and ours £7 million 

They have some jaw dropping players who were very much at it and we went toe to toe with them and gave them a right ole game

So proud - Despite a defeat I’d put the performance above the United win

45 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Mental isn't it - THREE QUARTERS OF A BILLION QUID. On a bunch of blokes to play football. 

I think I heard yesterday that £750M is their squad value? 

An interesting hypothetical exercise to which I think i can guess the most common answer....

The 22 starters from last night decide to play a game of "schoolyard football" for fun - two captains are picked (lets call them Bailey and Kevin).
Which player from the 22 gets picked last?

5 minutes ago, cityal said:

I think I heard yesterday that £750M is their squad value? 

An interesting hypothetical exercise to which I think i can guess the most common answer....

The 22 starters from last night decide to play a game of "schoolyard football" for fun - two captains are picked (lets call them Bailey and Kevin).
Which player from the 22 gets picked last?

Zinchenko

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Zinchenko

No, the defender (can’t remember his name) who Brownhill robbed before setting up Bobby for the penalty incident. Zinchenko at least had the excuse that he was playing out of position. The bloke I’m referring to was bloody awful and a liability for them. Hope he plays in the return match.

2 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

No, the defender (can’t remember his name) who Brownhill robbed before setting up Bobby for the penalty incident. Zinchenko at least had the excuse that he was playing out of position. The bloke I’m referring to was bloody awful and a liability for them. Hope he plays in the return match.

Mangala - he cost them £40m(ish).

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Mangala - he cost them £40m(ish).

And getting an absolute hammering on the matchday thread on Man City's forum for his poor defending.  What it must be like to spend that much on a rubbish player and it doesn't matter.

Archived