IGNORED

Section 82 expansion...Ideas and Pitches?

Mr Popodopolous

30 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Club and S82 messed up staying in the Atyeo. As soon as the SS was built the back of the stand starting with behind the goal should have been the singing/ discrectionary standing section. Really was short sighted the way it was done. Now int he position where again to expand/move it you need to re adjust season ticket holders yet again, when it could have been done in one seemless move when we got our new stand.

Anyways...... if the crowds stay/keep getting bigger announce the back of SS will be singing/standing and that people can buy Upper Lansdown for the same price for 2 seasons (or something like that) if they don't like the idea of being surrounded by the unwashed masses :city: and then finally stop dicking around with seating / allocations.

You know what disregard my doubt in this now edited post.

Just unsure how we - via the club- convince the SAG- @BobBobSuperBob made an excellent point in his OP I thought on this theme though, 7,800 stood at Man City no issues. Safely as well presumably.

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can this be brought up tomorrow at the meeting thingy by someone?

Would be good if the ball was set rolling with pitching the club- that is to say if it hasn't been already. The demand and interest is clearly there.

Agreed. Can't make it but would really appreciate anyone who can mentioning it to the club.

On 15/01/2018 at 23:52, Fiale said:

Club and S82 messed up staying in the Atyeo. As soon as the SS was built the back of the stand starting with behind the goal should have been the singing/ discrectionary standing section. Really was short sighted the way it was done. Now int he position where again to expand/move it you need to re adjust season ticket holders yet again, when it could have been done in one seemless move when we got our new stand.

Anyways...... if the crowds stay/keep getting bigger announce the back of SS will be singing/standing and that people can buy Upper Lansdown for the same price for 2 seasons (or something like that) if they don't like the idea of being surrounded by the unwashed masses :city: and then finally stop dicking around with seating / allocations.

S82 didnt mess up staying in the Atyeo, the only other option from the club was to turf out all season ticket holders in Dolman A and B. How would that have gone down?

There has never really been any fan input on where the "singing section" should be. I personally think they never wanted them in the south stand to start with, was due to having the posher seats in each corner of the SS.

When this moved to the lansdown, it was easier to put these fans in the corner of the SS.

On 15/01/2018 at 19:44, BobBobSuperBob said:

Again , Tuesday night (Was Tier 3) _ where we were we didn’t see a steward within 40/50m & not a single hint of any issUe all night

Think that If left to settle and become self policing if some overstepped any mark

Where i was at the back of one of blocks behind Tier3 , 2 policemen and some stewards came up to ask people to clear the stairs just after half time. Everyone moved and 3 stewards stayed on the stretch of steps with no issues etc.

I do remember saying during the first half how nice it was not to see stewards everywhere.

5 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

S82 didnt mess up staying in the Atyeo, the only other option from the club was to turf out all season ticket holders in Dolman A and B. How would that have gone down?

There has never really been any fan input on where the "singing section" should be. I personally think they never wanted them in the south stand to start with, was due to having the posher seats in each corner of the SS.

When this moved to the lansdown, it was easier to put these fans in the corner of the SS.

I think this is bang on tbh. Absolutely bang on personally. Especially the Heineken Lounge which would have been the posh area until the Lansdown built.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think this is bang on tbh. Absolutely bang on personally. Especially the Heineken Lounge which would have been the posh area until the Lansdown built.

If you think about it, its easier to move family sections around etc than it is "normal" season ticket holders. Putting the "singing" section in the atyeo was a temp way of keeping it going, away from anyone that might not like it etc.

Now the club are kind of backed into a corner, where the area cant be extended due to sight lines etc. If it is moved up to the upper lansdown, that will effect how others can join in singing etc, i do think what we have now is it.

Prior to the lansdown being built, both corners of the SS were used for "posher" fans etc. It wouldnt had been possible to put a "singing section" behind the goal due to sight lines etc.

1 minute ago, AshtonPark said:

If you think about it, its easier to move family sections around etc than it is "normal" season ticket holders. Putting the "singing" section in the atyeo was a temp way of keeping it going, away from anyone that might not like it etc.

Now the club are kind of backed into a corner, where the area cant be extended due to sight lines etc. If it is moved up to the upper lansdown, that will effect how others can join in singing etc, i do think what we have now is it.

Prior to the lansdown being built, both corners of the SS were used for "posher" fans etc. It wouldnt had been possible to put a "singing section" behind the goal due to sight lines etc.

Agreed.

Might there be people in E28 upper who could sing and stand? Or would that block sight lines along the Dolman? Unsure of feasibility of expansion across the South Stand.

Yep, what is now the South/Lansdown corner was also quite "posh'" IIRC.

Maybe I have the demographic of E28 all wrong but I see potential there- perhaps. Surely if it's in that section, and they are at the end of the stand, how would that affect the sight line issue? Possible? Given people at the back row of all stands (possibly except the Lansdown)? stand, some chant starters up there...something like this? It would be less organic but probably needs must for now.

If there was any way the club could allow standing in the back few rows of the South Stand, this would avoid blocking anyone’s sightlines.  There will surely be H&S issues thrown up, but we’ve been stuck with the fall out from the discredited findings following Hillsborough for long enough now and it’s time this was challenged.

The club are now getting a reputation for having new and modern ways of working, so this could be an ideal time for having another push for introducing some limited safe standing in the stadium. I’ve got a feeling this was originally proposed for AV, or it could have been AG, but would love to see it happen.

I’m near the back of S21 and would be well happy if this actually happened

7 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

If there was any way the club could allow standing in the back few rows of the South Stand, this would avoid blocking anyone’s sightlines.  There will surely be H&S issues thrown up, but we’ve been stuck with the fall out from the discredited findings following Hillsborough for long enough now and it’s time this was challenged.

The club are now getting a reputation for having new and modern ways of working, so this could be an ideal time for having another push for introducing some limited safe standing in the stadium. I’ve got a feeling this was originally proposed for AV, or it could have been AG, but would love to see it happen.

I’m near the back of S21 and would be well happy if this actually happened

I 100% agree that the club should start showing toys out the pram regarding Safe Standing. Not just re-affirming our desire for it, but go the whole hog and point out, as you hinted at, that by maintaining a ban on terracing you are still holding up the same lies that morally convicted not only the 96, but the survivors too.

Regarding only doing the back rows, this would be harder to police (stopping people standing where they shouldn't) and detrimental to atmosphere as the fans would be spread out thinly. 

I think the club are put off because they sale 10% less tickets for the standing blocks for health and safety reasons or some rubbish. Does anyone know if this is bristol city’s idea or is it actually the law? I personally think we don’t have to sale 10% less, the Man Utd game for example every seat was sold in s82 and we all squeezed in, no problem at all. 

13 minutes ago, Packman said:

I think the club are put off because they sale 10% less tickets for the standing blocks for health and safety reasons or some rubbish. Does anyone know if this is bristol city’s idea or is it actually the law? I personally think we don’t have to sale 10% less, the Man Utd game for example every seat was sold in s82 and we all squeezed in, no problem at all. 

Almost certain it's the law.

16 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I 100% agree that the club should start showing toys out the pram regarding Safe Standing. Not just re-affirming our desire for it, but go the whole hog and point out, as you hinted at, that by maintaining a ban on terracing you are still holding up the same lies that morally convicted not only the 96, but the survivors too.

Regarding only doing the back rows, this would be harder to police (stopping people standing where they shouldn't) and detrimental to atmosphere as the fans would be spread out thinly. 

Get what you’re saying re policing, but I’m assuming there would have to be crush barriers installed, similar to the experimental ones installed in the Atyeo end of the Williams stand a few years ago. This would create a clear dividing line for permitted standing.

As for watering down the singing section, I’ve got a feeling it could have the opposite effect.  There are fair number of singers across the whole of the SS at present and it could be that with a singing section spread across the whole stand, this could be infectious and draw even more fans to join in.

it would be really interesting if there was a temporary dispensation to allow this to happen for just a few games, to see what effect it has.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Almost certain it's the law.

No there is absolutely nothing in law about this.  It's a figure that SAG came up with when negotiating with the club to have unreserved areas where standing was 'overlooked'. It's probably a standard figure.

The irony of all of this is that because more people want to stand than are 'allowed' loads of people who have seats in other parts of the lower 'bowl' get in there one way or another thus making it more crowded than it should be.  If they enlarged the area, they would find that it would be less crowded than it is, especially for big games. 

24 minutes ago, Packman said:

Surely they are allowed to sell one seat per person though?  I know when all seater stadiums were introduced this reduced capacities, because you can obvoiusly fit more people to an area when they are standing on terraces, rather than sitting in seats.

It would seem mad if we we’re not allowed to have one person per seat even if they were standing, but then, we are talking about football, so I suppose anything is possible in terms of stupid rules!!!

3 minutes ago, The Bard said:

No there is absolutely nothing in law about this.  It's a figure that SAG came up with when negotiating with the club to have unreserved areas where standing was 'overlooked'. It's probably a standard figure.

The irony of all of this is that because more people want to stand than are 'allowed' loads of people who have seats in other parts of the lower 'bowl' get in there one way or another thus making it more crowded than it should be.  If they enlarged the area, they would find that it would be less crowded than it is, especially for big games. 

Really? I'm fairly sure I read it was law, but I stand corrected- thanks! SAG edict/deal is still handed down/negotiated, but also what you say about standard figure probably rings true- a benchmark for 

Agreed on that last point, though I believe stewards now check tickets in S82.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Really? I'm fairly sure I read it was law, but I stand corrected- thanks! SAG edict/deal is still handed down/negotiated, but also what you say about standard figure probably rings true- a benchmark for 

Agreed on that last point, though I believe stewards now check tickets in S82.

There's always ways of getting people past them. Two tickets will get a group in if you use your head, i don't do this by the way.

14 minutes ago, South Somerset Red said:

There's always ways of getting people past them. Two tickets will get a group in if you use your head, i don't do this by the way.

I'm sure there are.

Incidentally, this sort of thing won't assist any notional campaign to get authorities (ie the SAG) to look favourably at a case to extend S82.

I fear the opposite in fact. I am in favour of an extension. If anything I could see SAG wanting more monitoring, more checks to help counteract this.

3 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

Why is it easier to move the family sections around I was happy where we was last season. What do you call a normal season ticket holder. Surely the family should be treated the same as any ticket holder as they are the future fans.

would it be best to put the s82 in front of the dolman stand as they wil not block views and can expand along the pitch 

On 15/01/2018 at 17:29, South Somerset Red said:

Personally i reckon a big portion that are currently in the south stand would be happy to stand. What the club could do is take a survey from those in there and see how many would be up for standing and if they get a good percent then they could ask if any one from other parts of the ground would want to stand, swap those who want to sit with those who want to stand. s19 to s25 standing and give up s26 and 27 for sitters maybe. 

So if I don't want to stand in an all seater stadium I have to give up my nice seat in S21. Thanks for that.

13 minutes ago, kivsy said:

But surely if you expand , say the whole of the south for example , then there would be no need for extra ticket checks , and people won’t be trying to get in an area they shouldn’t be ! 

Agreed. That would actually be the best solution.

The problem?  Before I knock the SAG yet again, would they even be allowed to permit a whole stand of 5k in an all seater to stand? Unconvinced. 

13 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

So if I don't want to stand in an all seater stadium I have to give up my nice seat in S21. Thanks for that.

If you're a minority then yes. Not saying it will but if it had a high percent in favour for it then why should you stop the progression? It's a bloody seat at the end of the day, you would have a better view as well in lansdown or dolman.

2 minutes ago, South Somerset Red said:

If you're a minority then yes. Not saying it will but if it had a high percent in favour for it then why should you stop the progression? It's a bloody seat at the end of the day, you would have a better view as well in lansdown or dolman.

Ah right so does that mean you are offering to pay my upgrade costs. Have you thought that economically I ma not be able to move. Also this progression may lose fans so that is worth considering.

Personally the stadium should stay as it is.

23 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

Ah right so does that mean you are offering to pay my upgrade costs. Have you thought that economically I ma not be able to move. Also this progression may lose fans so that is worth considering.

I agree.There is an arrogance amongst some fans that most want to stand. Well, I don't and frankly, in an all seater stadium I don't see why i should be forced out of my seat by those that want to dictate that standing is the only way. 

26 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

There are a lot of old fashioned fans on here convinced that standing is better and represents progress.

Its a point of view but not one we all share. 7600 stood without problems at the Etihad - but not necessarily by choice. If the front rows stand, those behind have no choice. I had a luxurious padded seat in Tier 2 that I wouldn’t have minded using!

Ive got nothing against standing sections, and leaned against a barrier on a Williams terrace before the all seater days. However, personally I prefer to sit and see no benefits in standing. There are probably lots like that with STs in the middle of the South Stand. Squeezing them out could cause resentment.

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

There are a lot of old fashioned fans on here convinced that standing is better and represents progress.

Its a point of view but not one we all share. 7600 stood without problems at the Etihad - but not necessarily by choice. If the front rows stand, those behind have no choice. I had a luxurious padded seat in Tier 2 that I wouldn’t have minded using!

Ive got nothing against standing sections, and leaned against a barrier on a Williams terrace before the all seater days. However, personally I prefer to sit and see no benefits in standing. There are probably lots like that with STs in the middle of the South Stand. Squeezing them out could cause resentment.

Standing is clearly far better for atmosphere. I agree it's an awkward issue if people may lose their seats, but I think originally the club didn't handle the movement of our vocal fans very well.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Plenty do prefer to stand though. I dare say even more would like the choice of stand or sit.

Does make you wonder if plenty do prefer to stand then why does NO other group in the south stand even attempt to join in with S82.. you'd like to have thought it would have organically spread across the stand but the rest of the South stand dont seem to want anything to do with it.. where are all these hoarders of new fans wanting to stand coming from?

Im all for standing btw.. its the only way i can watch live football, its just after years of following this club in all seater stadiums i have come to accept as a fan base we just dont seem to like to stand en masse..

Archived