IGNORED

Section 82 expansion...Ideas and Pitches?

Mr Popodopolous

• SC&T Board Members
1 hour ago, AshtonPark said:

This just goes to show there was no thought process for these type of fans when the redevelopment was done.

Hence being moved pillar to post, until the half solution there is now. The area will never expand, even if safe standing does come in they are very unlikely to throw the back  15 rows of the south stand out of their season ticket seats.

Remember only a few years ago at the start of being in the atyeo, the club were trying to blame the group for anything that happened in that stand. When all the lads wanted to do was wave flags etc. 

I don't think you can say that there was NO thought given to these type of fans, but I do think it's fair to say that little thought has been given in the last 2-3 years about how to accommodate a larger group of such fans.

If you think back to 2013/14, the plans then were to have standing all along the Lower Dolman and across the full width of part of the South Stand (initially the plan was a lower section to mirror the Lower Dolman, later - after fans expressed a preference to be at the back - the plan was for rail seats across the back of the stand). In either configuration the standing capacity would have been perhaps some 3-4,000. So at the that time the preference of a good number of fans to stand was certainly part of the thought process.

In more recent years, the areas allocated to the 'singing section' has become a lot smaller (now c. 1,100) and it does appear that no thought has been put into how it might expand in future years. The time to have done this would have been when the South Stand opened. At that point the club could have said, for instance, that in addition to the SE quadrant also the rear X rows of the South Stand are earmarked for safe standing in the future so that if you choose to get an ST there you should be aware that in future you may find yourself in a standing area. This is precisely what Spurs have done this summer with their proposed standing area on the lower section of their new South Stand.

Unfortunately BCFC didn't think ahead like that and so any expansion of the standing area from the SE quadrant across the rear of the South Stand as and when rail seating is allowed will necessarily result in some fans with STs in that area being inconvenienced.

The back section of the South Stand (down as far as the Heineken Lounge terrace and its counterpart in the other corner) is, however, in my view the only practical location for an expanded standing area, as it creates no sightline obstructions for fans in adjacent areas of seating.

What's the ST to POTD Ratio in E28 (Dolman G Block in old money if memory serves)?

My thinking was that if it's relatively low, it could be expanded into there and then atmosphere could head in a bit of a ripple effect across the Dolman. Add in the fact that B Block and A Block traditionally made some noise, it could encourage others to join in (albeit they would need to be seated to do so as it stands).

Or is the rake/gradient a sticking point here too?

48 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What's the ST to POTD Ratio in E28 (Dolman G Block in old money if memory serves)?

My thinking was that if it's relatively low, it could be expanded into there and then atmosphere could head in a bit of a ripple effect across the Dolman. Add in the fact that B Block and A Block traditionally made some noise, it could encourage others to join in (albeit they would need to be seated to do so as it stands).

Or is the rake/gradient a sticking point here too?

Sight lines I should think Mr P. If you're sat in the end row of the adjoining block and someone is taking a throw in / corner in front of S82 you won't be able to see it, if you're near the back of the adjoining block, I would imagine the goal itself would be blocked.

If S82 'grew' into the Dolman, I could see us all having to stand up there which wouldn't be allowed. The back of the SS is the only real solution or a mirror of S82 in the South / Lansdown corner.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Sight lines I should think Mr P. If you're sat in the end row of the adjoining block and someone is taking a throw in / corner in front of S82 you won't be able to see it, if you're near the back of the adjoining block, I would imagine the goal itself would be blocked.

If S82 'grew' into the Dolman, I could see us all having to stand up there which wouldn't be allowed. The back of the SS is the only real solution or a mirror of S82 in the South / Lansdown corner.

Yeah that makes sense- shame there's not a way to make it work really as I could see on paper a great ripple effect with the following (not feasible but may as well write it anyway- just for fun)!

• S82 as it is, plus perhaps some more a bit more central in the South stand- this can expand the atmosphere across the South Stand.
  • My E28 idea, plus adding in the vocal nature, at least historically of the A and B Block- that again can expand across the Dolman.
  • The third positive with is is the Dolman is in line with the away fans at least side on and a decent number can get the crowd going.

Getting a noisy and vocal Lansdown stand? Busted flush IMO, dead duck as not to worth bothering with- given the nature of the stand.

That's my idea, albeit sight lines make it a non-starter. Like the idea of a mirror in the South/Lansdown corner though, reckon there are certainly those who would get involved there if the environment more conducive!

On 15/01/2018 at 15:45, Mr Popodopolous said:

I posted this on another thread but I thought (it could be merged into the appropriate topic if necessary) I thought a thread of this nature could be useful definitely.

It's obviously the club we need to convince but more than that the SAG, the Local Authority and I guess Licensing Authority.

In other words- ideas and persuasive arguments for the expansion of S82...doubtless the club could take some good ones and add it to their reasoning if indeed they are inclined to push for this.

Over to you all!

It has to be moved in my opinion but of course people standing will block other peoples view so how many would the lower part of the Dolman hold ?

27 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

It has to be moved in my opinion but of course people standing will block other peoples view so how many would the lower part of the Dolman hold ?

Do you mean S82/Singing Section has to be moved? Where?

Lower Dolman? If Dolman holds 6k or so, then lower Dolman likely to hold- don't think it's divided equally but it might be- I'd say 2,500-3,000.

Might be time to resurrect this thread what with the cheaper tickets for some games in E34 (old A Block or if all of it old A and H Block)?

Certainly seems like there maybe interest in such a thing, but how feasible is it? Has there been any true progress on this, either in concrete interest or more importantly gaining ground with the club/SAG or the powers that be.

Expansion could also read move into a certain 2nd area- part of Lansdown, part of Dolman or part of Atyeo.

Archived