IGNORED

We all TALK a good game, but .......

bcfcredandwhite

13 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Not sure what type of football you played then RR, but it is definitely a bit more pink or lilac these days. :)

It's a long time ago but I still remember how hard players were back then. Elbows, over the top and two footed tackles were common place.

The referees weren't under any guidance in what to penalise and players rarely got booked. 

Very different attitudes back then!

Playing for my local pub , one night a mate said a guy he knows that drinks in the pub used to play for City or may have been on City's books . I can't remember the name , not sure I knew it at the time. Anyway the usual Saturday night session (AKA Pre match preparation ) was in full swing, said chap on cider ! Boasts of how 'you never lose it' and 'I'll pick out the CF all day long' . Next morning after my prematch Marsbar , game gets going and I'm FB behind our new right winger, I was having a decent game and at that time was reasonably fit even with a hangover. I'm bombing up and down the wing having a decent game when I noticed we were a man short. When I asked where our ex-pro had gone, apparently he threw up twice and went home. Proof if proof were needed, you can lose it :doh:

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

It's a long time ago but I still remember how hard players were back then. Elbows, over the top and two footed tackles were common place.

The referees weren't under any guidance in what to penalise and players rarely got booked. 

Very different attitudes back then!

Yes, but violet?

Think a whoosh :)

By the way, I completely agree with you. Remember one of my first games of senior football aged 18 in the early 70s. After skinning the full back for about the third time, the next  time he took me out and chopped my off at the knees - a real scything kick. As the ref came over to " have a word", the full back told me" next time I'll break your leg". I pointed this out to the ref, who told me I was playing men's football and that I should get used to it or go back to playing school's football.

I would guess that 50% of tackles given as free kicks these days, would not have been given back then. Forwards tried to ride challenges back then and didn't " have the right to go down" under something akin to a sneeze from a defender. Outlawing the tackle from behind was a welcome move, but the authorities desire to protect skilful players has now gone to the other extreme where players go over under the slightest contact and most referees are too easily conned by these tactics.

Championship football does seem to have more physicality about it, and is all the better for that. 

I played in the Bristol Suburban league many years ago. I also refereed a couple of matches when the ref didn’t turn up, which made me realise how difficult refereeing is. It looks easy from the stands but it’s not when you’re on the pitch. In consequence I have a lot more sympathy for refs than the fans who complain about every decision that goes against City. 

The pinnacle of my career was at primary school when I used to play blow football, a game you don’t see much of today. Unfortunately there was little career progression in blow football, so I gave it up 

12 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

35 seems young to hang up the boots mate - I had only just started playing at that age!!

not tempted to try 5-a-side? It’s a shame if you loved it. 

Let’s just say I’m carrying a bit of timber now so maybe walking football is likely to be a better option?

Still making an appearance these days in the Bristol and Suburban league, (well not since November since being out with appendicitis) 11 a side training , 7 and 5 a side also usually at least once a week! Feel like i'm almost ready to retire at 25 however :sad26:but more importantly get back to watching our boys every week ;)

In my teens (back in the early-mid 90s ) I had a couple of seasons playing for the Junior Reds. Saturday mornings playing citys opponents on Greville Park. And several away games at the likes of Portsmouth, Birmingham, Bolton etc. I've told many people I played for city as a kid!

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I played in the Bristol Suburban league many years ago. I also refereed a couple of matches when the ref didn’t turn up, which made me realise how difficult refereeing is. It looks easy from the stands but it’s not when you’re on the pitch. In consequence I have a lot more sympathy for refs than the fans who complain about every decision that goes against City. 

The pinnacle of my career was at primary school when I used to play blow football, a game you don’t see much of today. Unfortunately there was little career progression in blow football, so I gave it up 

Yep. Wish some of these Managers and TV pundits were given a meaningful amateur game to referee. 

On the College league circuit we had to referee a match a season. Probably one of the worst experiences of my life and from that match on I vowed never to criticise a referee again. 

8 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

Played alongside some City legends for the youth team that reached the semi final of the FA youth cup in 1970 and then went on to play at a decent standard until my body said enoughs enough. The Spurs team that beat us included Graham Souness, Steve Perryman and a host of others that went on to play league football for other clubs.

In addition to the one you played in which I saw, I can remember the 1959-60 Youth semi against Chelsea. We got a complete forward line with Jantzen, Brian Clark, Terry Bush, Adrian Williams and (I think) Lou Peters. 

Chelsea had Peter Bonetti, Terry Venables, Bobby Tambling, Bert Murray and Ron Harris's younger brother. Plus others I can't now remember. Only 18,000 turned up at the Gate for the first leg!

8 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

Played alongside some City legends for the youth team that reached the semi final of the FA youth cup in 1970 and then went on to play at a decent standard until my body said enoughs enough. The Spurs team that beat us included Graham Souness, Steve Perryman and a host of others that went on to play league football for other clubs.

was Dickie Downs in that team ?

6 hours ago, Tom said:

St David’s University College FC circa 2009-11, until I decided to take an exchange place in Italy in my final year.

Lampeter...........Was Tony still cutting hair in the town then ?

I lived 5 miles away and was player manager for Llanybydder in the 90's.

2 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

Lampeter...........Was Tony still cutting hair in the town then ?

I lived 5 miles away and was player manager for Llanybydder in the 90's.

Yeah we were the Everton of Lampeter, with Lampeter Town being the biggest (and best) team in town.

No idea, I used to get my hair cut back at home every time because I don't like change. With my poncy longish hair I now know why I got elbowed a lot (possibly).

Played Llanybydder 1st and 2nds quite a few times, they were always the most violent team we played. Also our best player was put in intensive care by one of their players (studs on the back of the head), he received a life-time ban from football in England and Wales IIRC.

5 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I had trials with Bristol City when I was 12. 

Don't get me wrong, I was shit at football, but my best mates mum was seeing the youth team coach. 

He got a trial as well, and was also shit at football. 

Needless to say, we didn’t last long. 

Is this why we are the biggest underachievers in English football history?

2 hours ago, Cobbsoldun said:

Army and Corps ( REME ) football and Preussen Munster ( Bundes 2) back in the eighties...lots of time in the stiffs tho!!!

Once managed by Bert Trautmann of Man City and broken neck fame.

1 minute ago, Cobbsoldun said:

Actually never knew that!!!

The team name sounded familiar and I googled it. It was from reading Trautmann's Wikipedia page a while ago. Who says that Wikipedia rabbit-holing is a waste of time?!

17 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Thanks @Ian M :rofl2br:Yes I lost at Wembley in front of the world... 

Out of interest Mr McIndoe, the reverse question;

- how many of the squad that obviously played a great game, but couldn’t talk a good game.

Guessing not all players are astute tactically or fully understand the intracacies of the game, playing off the cuff, etc.  Were some a bit of a nightmare and couldn’t quite grasp what the gaffer wanted.

I played with some very talented players, who wouldn’t have a clue how to set a side up. :P

Guessing Lee showed the signs?

22 hours ago, Oops said:

I played for DRG from 87-96, best pitch in Bristol at the time, now a housing estate :sad26:

I played there frequently in the mid/late 1970s.

Wonderful pitch (sometimes prone to flooding?) and a wonderful clubhouse.

Didn't they also have a wonderful cricket pitch and bowling green? Or was that Frys?

11 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

I was a young lad cheering you on with my late father.

Some of my earliest (and best) memories of watching and supporting City - one of the few occasions we could afford to watch from the Williams stand.

12 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Same as a lot on here, I've played in most of the local leagues from District, Suburban up to County/Western etc. Congresbury, Plough and Windmill, few games for Welton and Bishop Sutton amongst many others. Played District Prem at 16 for Soundwell Victoria too.

I was never one of those players that wanted to get as high up as I could and just played for the fun of it, so if there was a club I enjoyed playing at I tended to stay there for a while, otherwise I would have a game here and there to help people out who were short.

Fell out of love with playing at 28 and have never played 11 a side since (42 now), and I can't say I miss it at all. Sitting on the sofa or watching games seems much more fun than running around a freezing cold pitch with a hangover on a Sunday morning.

Were you part of the Plough and Windmill team that got launched out of the league?

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest Mr McIndoe, the reverse question;

- how many of the squad that obviously played a great game, but couldn’t talk a good game.

Guessing not all players are astute tactically or fully understand the intracacies of the game, playing off the cuff, etc.  Were some a bit of a nightmare and couldn’t quite grasp what the gaffer wanted.

I played with some very talented players, who wouldn’t have a clue how to set a side up. :P

Guessing Lee showed the signs?

Nice to hear from you again @Davefevs ! 

Dele Adebola would fall into that category. But one of the most knowledgable students of the game is Louis Carey. I'm surprised he hasn't gone into management yet. 

33 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Were you part of the Plough and Windmill team that got launched out of the league?

Not that I can remember. I played around 98/99 for about 6-7 games. Scored a hat-trick on my debut at Dundry from left midfield and it was all downhill from there!

When I started (1960s) it was laced leather balls - extremely heavy when wet; massive boots with huge toecaps (needed for protection from the ball).  Highlight for me was later when a mob of us were playing in the park on a Sunday morning, Geoff Merrick and 3 other players asked to join in.  We lined them up and selected - you can go on our side, you can go on theirs, etc.  Played on and off for a number of years after that, nothing special though.

Archived