IGNORED

We all TALK a good game, but .......

bcfcredandwhite

Delighted to have played as long as I have, early 40’s now still playing (sort of :whistle:). Mostly around level 12 (some seasons higher/lower) of the football pyramid. Loved every minute, no offence meant to my current partner or any exes, but I would probably say football is the love of my life. Proud of my ‘career’, I over achieved, I wasn’t a natural and had to apply myself more than my peers, but the effort, commitment I put in and love for the game was definitely rewarded. Promotions, Cup finals, being a young ‘un with seniors, being a senior helping develop younger players, every tackle, every goal, leading like minded men, the life long friendships made etc... such a great, rewarding time of which I am immensely proud of and do/will cherish forever, as I wind down I realise how much it has/does mean to me.

I probably love/loved it too much. Anyway, as much as I love City, if it clashes with playing Saturday football I would advise anyone to play as much as you can regardless of age, ability and fitness, City will be here when you hang the boots/gloves up. I play the odd Saturday now, when the boys are short, City are away and I don’t have a vets game on a Sunday. I am very grateful to LJ and BCFC that this wonderful season has coincided with my playing days winding down, btw not a glory hunter, held a season ticket many years, despite not always using it, even when I had many friends within the club who would get me ‘comps’, I was also a Junior Red and have Walshy’s autograph from those days :)

That’s enough of a melancholic outpour (and cider), enjoyed this thread, thanks OP and the other contributors. I have found it interesting that many of the opinionated regulars on OTIB haven’t posted here, it does confirm what I thought though, like many of the fans inside AG, some posters on here know/understand very little about the game as they can’t comprehend/relate as much as those of us who have been involved irrespective of level, I personally would rather listen to someone playing in the bottom Downs division than an armchair fan or someone playing a football management simulation.

11 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I played there frequently in the mid/late 1970s.

Wonderful pitch (sometimes prone to flooding?) and a wonderful clubhouse.

Didn't they also have a wonderful cricket pitch and bowling green? Or was that Frys?

Just a cricket pitch when I was there. It was a great club all round, loved every minute. Stan Higgins, John McArthur etc..

15 hours ago, zombie said:

Delighted to have played as long as I have, early 40’s now still playing (sort of :whistle:). Mostly around level 12 (some seasons higher/lower) of the football pyramid. Loved every minute, no offence meant to my current partner or any exes, but I would probably say football is the love of my life. Proud of my ‘career’, I over achieved, I wasn’t a natural and had to apply myself more than my peers, but the effort, commitment I put in and love for the game was definitely rewarded. Promotions, Cup finals, being a young ‘un with seniors, being a senior helping develop younger players, every tackle, every goal, leading like minded men, the life long friendships made etc... such a great, rewarding time of which I am immensely proud of and do/will cherish forever, as I wind down I realise how much it has/does mean to me.

I probably love/loved it too much. Anyway, as much as I love City, if it clashes with playing Saturday football I would advise anyone to play as much as you can regardless of age, ability and fitness, City will be here when you hang the boots/gloves up. I play the odd Saturday now, when the boys are short, City are away and I don’t have a vets game on a Sunday. I am very grateful to LJ and BCFC that this wonderful season has coincided with my playing days winding down, btw not a glory hunter, held a season ticket many years, despite not always using it, even when I had many friends within the club who would get me ‘comps’, I was also a Junior Red and have Walshy’s autograph from those days :)

That’s enough of a melancholic outpour (and cider), enjoyed this thread, thanks OP and the other contributors. I have found it interesting that many of the opinionated regulars on OTIB haven’t posted here, it does confirm what I thought though, like many of the fans inside AG, some posters on here know/understand very little about the game as they can’t comprehend/relate as much as those of us who have been involved irrespective of level, I personally would rather listen to someone playing in the bottom Downs division than an armchair fan or someone playing a football management simulation.

Played Western League and spent a season at a conference club but did not make the XI. I then lost my way a little and ceased to play Saturdays and watched City, while playing a lower standard on Sundays. I can't regret this as it was part of growing up and led to other opportunities but given my time again I would have continued playing Saturdays, as you say you can't get that time back while BCFC is a ever present. 

Having played and now coach to a level where I get paid for it I can agree with your last paragraph. Fans frequently who do not possess a low % (like me) of City players skills have expectations that are often totally unrealistic. 

I played in the Churches league and then on the Downs for years.  Managed a bit which was less about tactics and training and more about dragging 11 blokes there on time inspite of hangovers and other post Friday night states of mind.  Best ever excuse for not being able to play I heard, via the phone was " sorry can't play, I've just taken some magic mushrooms" .  We tried really hard to get him to turn up, even offered to give him a lift. 

I now manage a youth side.  Completely different kettle of fish. 

Played and managed to a reasonable level playing my final competitive game at 52 years old. Supported City from 1956 then started playing regularly in 1961 in the boys club league. Then only watched City when we didn't have a game as the lure of playing was stronger.

Have had a season ticket for the past 15 years and really do like "watching," the games. I often wonder how much most of the supporters around me know about football through experience. Every time one of our players go down in the box it's a penalty. Every tackle by an opponent is a foul. If the ball hits an opponent above the ankle it's a handball. Our players never foul, it's the opponents diving. We are never offside but the opponents are always offside. It really does make me laugh at times.

Been playing football since I was 9 years old (not in the same match) Did the rounds in local football, County league, Somerset senior. My highlight was playing at Yate Town (floodlights and a Tea bar) 

The beauty about Bristol football these days is they have the biggest (so I've been told) seniors league in the country. The casuals league has 5 divisions and now has a over 45's league which is where I find myself playing this season. Really surprised at how good it is, some quality footballers who can still play a bit but haven't quite got the stamina they once had. 

Thoroughly recommend it 

Archived