IGNORED

The Derby County v Bristol City Match Day Thread 28

Candy Crush. Well, I would like us to crush Derby this evening that is for sure. Our second 6 pointer haul this season that would be if I am not mistaken. 

King Digital, the firm behind what I can view from afar as an irritatingly addictive computer game, is run my Mel Morris the owner of our opposition. 

I recall my frequent squashed journeys in a London Tube carriage with so many people transfixed by little fruit icons jumping around on a small phone with silly little squash and pop noises emamating from each device in a cacophany of time wasting nonsense. Seemingly Mr Morris bought Derby off the back of that; the world makes less and less sense.

A bit like the morons who broke into my colleagues rental in the centre of Porto last night and made off with two passports and two lap tops rendering this match day a challenging smart phone experience.

I shall end with this marvellous rendition of 'King, where are your people now' by UB40. And perhaps someone will begin the chant at Pride Park when City have started to put a smile back on my face with a goal or three.. by George we need it. Now.. Where is that British Consul number...

Enjoy the game everyone.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Tonight is for the brave and our lads have massive lion hearts . 

For all Derby's qualities I wouldn't swap their squad for ours .

If luck is even we will get something from tonight and get the show back on the road.

Let's hope the Football gods have had enough messing us about and we get what we deserve.

A massive respect to the Red Army who will need to get right behind the lads. 

COYR

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 2

It's important that we get something out of tonight's game to get our league form back on track. Also to prevent the losing streak becoming a "thing" that affects the confidence of players and fans. A draw would be a decent result.

Being away might suit us to an extent. Apart from the Aston Villa game, our away form has been excellent. We struggle more when teams get players behind the ball, which presumably Derby as the home team will be unlikely to do.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I personally cannot see anything other than a comfortable Derby win myself because I am struggling to see where any goals might come from, 3-0 defeat for me, but I am always ready for the unexpected because this is BCFC and almost 60 years on anything can happen.

I agree, can't see other than a home win,but let's hope,

People should relax. Since our victory over Forest (December 16th); this is the first time we've had a game after a near enough a full week of rest and prep. That makes the world of difference. We've been dividing our weeks up over planning for various games for a month now.

It would be nice to have a few more forwards to choose from and Derby's form is great, but don't underestimate the difference a proper rest and opportunity to plan will make.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Offside said:

It's important that we get something out of tonight's game to get our league form back on track. Also to prevent the losing streak becoming a "thing" that affects the confidence of players and fans. A draw would be a decent result.

Being away might suit us to an extent. Apart from the Aston Villa game, our away form has been excellent. We struggle more when teams get players behind the ball, which presumably Derby as the home team will be unlikely to do.

Looking at their forum they are likely to concede possession and try and catch us on the break even though they're at home

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting view from Experimental 361.....the pack are starting to form.

D593F6BC-73CB-4879-90D7-CF07C043F791.jpeg

This is very interesting. The possible variation from 6th place downwards shows how tight it is. It’s going to be interesting till the end of the season 

24 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

People should relax. Since our victory over Forest (December 16th); this is the first time we've had a game after a near enough a full week of rest and prep. That makes the world of difference. We've been dividing our weeks up over planning for various games for a month now.

It would be nice to have a few more forwards to choose from and Derby's form is great, but don't underestimate the difference a proper rest and opportunity to plan will make.

I think that is a good point.  We’ll see the relevance this evening.  When playing Sat / Tues or similar week by week, hearing LJ, JM and DH in their interviews, you realise how much time is lost to ‘recovery’.  Build in travel, etc, and you realise how little time they are spending ‘on the grass’ (DH’s favourite term), whether that be football or tactic (e.g. set pieces) related.

• Like 1

On my way to Derby. Gonna be brass monkeys up there so got about 5 layers on.....us thinner types feel the cold unlike you lardies who would probably be ok with a t shirt. A few pints will help the cold and the undoubted tension. I have however, got a strange feeling down below that we may just get something from this one.

5 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

On my way to Derby. Gonna be brass monkeys up there so got about 5 layers on.....us thinner types feel the cold unlike you lardies who would probably be ok with a t shirt. A few pints will help the cold and the undoubted tension. I have however, got a strange feeling down below that we may just get something from this one.

Don't you believe it, it's a surface area thing, we get the cold air over a greater amount of our bodies. :( 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Looking at their forum they are likely to concede possession and try and catch us on the break even though they're at home

Could be interesting if we use the same tactics.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Would like to see us look threatening again from set plays.  Too many floaty corners of late.

Yeah, I haven't liked the floaty corners Bryan has been taking recently. Walsh's corners against Norwich were much better, he seems very good at delivering the ball from set pieces.

22 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Don't you believe it, it's a surface area thing, we get the cold air over a greater amount of our bodies. :( 

I think this Sheffield Wednesday fan may disagree with you! I saw him in the away end in the steel city derby on TV last week :laugh:

a_sheffield_wednesday_supporter_enjoys_the_atmosphere_during_the_517230.jpg

If the last few games are anything to go by (they're not but it's sort of interesting) then there will be a few goals tonight.  We've not had a 0-0 with Derby since 1994.

15 Dec 2015 Derby County v Bristol City L 4-0 League Championship
19 Apr 2016 Bristol City v Derby County L 2-3 League Championship
17 Sep 2016 Bristol City v Derby County D 1-1 League Championship
11 Feb 2017 Derby County v Bristol City D 3-3 League Championship
16 Sep 2017 Bristol City v Derby County W 4-1 League Championship
Edited by ExiledAjax
1 hour ago, tommytank1985 said:

Glass half empty right there 

And you would be totally wrong.

I am actually more than happy with the position that we find ourselves in, in fact i'm ecstatic, I would have been happy with a mid table flirting with play offs position, because it would have been an improvement on last season and any improvement means we are moving in the right direction, but so far this this season LJ and the players have totally exceeded mine and I suspect most peoples expectations.

To be honest even the Villa result didn't phase me too much because that's BCFC and a result like that is always around the corner and some of us could see it coming, I was more upset with the Wolves result because we should have gotten a point from that game all day long, the only other game that pissed me off was Birmingham away, we were poor for most of that game against an incredibly poor side, the Norwich game I can forgive because we were tired and I think it showed up our need for a right back and for striker cover.

So please it's not about glasses full, half full, half empty or empty, I am stating my opinion and looking at the game from a realistic stand point given the circumstances of both teams, I have highlighted the most important part of my reply because of course given our season so far we could quite easily upset the form book again and I totally hope that we do but I am expecting a defeat.

If we are to harbour any hopes of the top 2, we simply must get something tonight.  8 points behind with 18 games left and the likes of Derby, Villa and Cardiff all flexing their muscles could prove too much of a challenge. 

I hope he goes with our strongest side and that means our 2 new signings are on the bench.  We need to be solid with a team that knows what it's doing together.  That means Maggers back in to the team for definite.  Bring Kent on later if we need to with the Loan deal etc..

• Like 2