IGNORED

The Derby County v Bristol City Match Day Thread 28

36 minutes ago, fishy said:

Magnússon has me worried every game he plays.  I really can't see why everyone else thinks he's any good.  He's by far the weakest link in the chain.

Utter , utter, tripe. You have never played the game my son. He has been one of our most consistent players for some time and Lee has finally proved that by leaving him on tonight. He is very crucial to our sucess this season.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

McClaren truly is the 'Wally with the Brolly' but he called it pretty much spot on. With no offensive threat we're a danger to few. Decent passing football reinforced by an over abundance in midfield which, frankly, had served us well so far, but we're miles off the best in this League and will have performed far beyond expectation should we make the Play-Offs. There's no shame in that and WeeLee will have proved exceptional were he to get us there given the resources at his disposal.

Don't get me wrong I love the squad , but if we are to progress then, simply, many aren't good enough. Truth sometimes hurts.

you are finn joking after beating 4 premiership sides and in the league being 4th as we speak how the f are we not good enough I think you need to take off your s**t tinted specs, never heard a bigger pile of s**t in my life don't know what game you watched but it was not the same as the rest of us.

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Point being? I had a great view in HD on the box thanks, probably a better view than those there :yes:

Just interested. It's great watching them on tv but getting home after a night match away is worth a medal! The tv pictures didn't show that corner of the ground. I applaud all those that made it up there to support the team.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

ok, all you lot of little faith, 3-0 this 2-0 that, just get it into your heads.....we are a very, very good side. Stop this negativity, we are pushing bigtime for the playoffs and, with the next three games coming up, we have still got a chance of Automatic. About time these City boys are given the credit they deserve for what they have given us so far. Any negative posts from now on can **** off abd support the gas. 

Brilliant, well considered comment, well done you.

1 hour ago, OldlandReddies said:

Utter , utter, tripe. You have never played the game my son. He has been one of our most consistent players for some time and Lee has finally proved that by leaving him on tonight. He is very crucial to our sucess this season.

If true then why exactly is it that Magnússon is the player who always seems to get dropped to the bench or replaced at half time until needs must and injuries mean that he gets a recall?. Perhaps LJ has never played the game my son?.

To be honest I would say if Baker is fit for the next league game Magnússon's place is the one most at risk after tonight.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, OldlandReddies said:

Didn't really have a choice did he, no CB on the bench, no RB option to move Wright, would have had to break up Pack/Smith to allow Wright to move to CB. Mags has been average at LB, not poor but not great. When he moved to CB we looked a lot worse, I've said often before Flint feeds off having a Baker or Wright at CB with him as they both command the back 4, we look a lot less organised with Flint and Mags as a CB pair. 

If you listen to LJ he is still repeating the mantra 'We are a work in progress'.  I read this to mean no huge expenditure on signings to get us over the line, but a policy of holding to the course set, and getting promotion in due course.  Not sure I don't still disagree but at least LJ is clear as to how he intends to reach objective.

And I am probably wrong as  I and others said at the time that promotion to Championship came too soon.  If you remember the original plan was not promotion that season, and when promoted we weren't ready and one of the key reasons was no depth, a similar issue this season, given depth at this level has to be greater , a point made on Sky last night

11 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

I have to say that Magnússon scares me too on occasions. 

No, he’s not crap - far from it, and he is definitely improving all the time. I just still feel scared when he is under pressure from an opposition player near the edge of our box in a fast-flowing situation - more so than the others.  His distribution has been poor on occasions (not always, and as I said he is improving) and I’m terrified he will give the ball away in a dangerous position. 

Having said all that I can’t think of anyone else in our squad I would replace him with - and his long throws in particular are a handy weapon to have in our arsenal.  He is an important part of a very special team. 

• Like 1

Some criticism of Mags is fair. He is at this moment I think the weakest link of the back 4 that started last night. He is the least assured on the ball in one touch passing situations and looks susceptible when needing to turn against the long ball over the top. He likes to let the ball drop and there is always some concern as to how he will deal with the situation and what connection he’s going to make with the ball. That said, he continues to improve and for every little mistake he may have made last night, you could point to many more instances where his positioning and defensive qualities stood out. If Baker is out for out length of time, he now has the chance to show the qualities we bought him for, and the faith that LJ clearly has in him. 

11 hours ago, Midred said:

Just interested. It's great watching them on tv but getting home after a night match away is worth a medal! The tv pictures didn't show that corner of the ground. I applaud all those that made it up there to support the team.

It was not an easy return last night. Every time we go away from home for a night game one or more sections of motorway are closed due to men not working. Got home from Manchester round about 02:40 and about 01:15 last night. 

12 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

He’s not as poor as other full backs we’ve had (Hunt, McGivern etc) but his positioning is awful, he often punts the ball and the only consistency is there’s usually one mistake a game.

His throwings are massive advantage and his crossing is excellent however. He also wins a fair bit in the air. 

I like him as a guy but I’m always nervous with him on the pitch, hope Kent can replace him soon and Bryan can drop back there. 

14 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

He knew it was going to be given .
That said, I thought there was a foul on Flint by Jerome in the build up. And if he really wants to he can stay on his feet, he would have got a shot in. Instead both legs fly up in the air and his arms wave around. I would have been pleased if that same decision had gone for anyone, not just up, Exageration is an understatement .
Right I'll go and calm down by looking in the fridge for another beer.

At least Flinty didn't force the ref  to give it by his reaction !

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It was not an easy return last night. Every time we go away from home for a night game one or more sections of motorway are closed due to men not working. Got home from Manchester round about 02:40 and about 01:15 last night. 

:clap:

The trains aren't very obliging after 10 o'clock either!