IGNORED

Loïs Diony - Confirmed Loan Agreed

Negan

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly. Realistically the likes of Afobe, Grabban, Abraham and other names mentioned recently would've been on absurd wages for us. I could never see us paying 8 figures for Hugill either.

It sounds like it's a loan with a view to a permanent so low risk, his wages won't break the bank.. having 2 French speaking forwards will benefit both him and Famara. Seems sensible based on those factors if it's true.

Can't comment on his ability because I'd never heard of him before this thread! Some decent stats from last season though - 11 goals and 8 assists in 38 games which is pretty solid.

I think it's the eight assists that will be as much an interest for Lee-team player/link up/that DNA!..

I believe this is happening now.

He was left out of the team last night .

This seems like a ' Tomlinesque ' type situation.

A talented player whose career turned a bit sour .

I trust the club but hope the ' DNA ' has been well studied.

I would like to know why St Etienne want to sell him at the first opportunity they have and why it didn't work out for the lad with them .

It was noted in the media here that he didn't celebrate a rare win for his club and sulked on the bench .

I confess to being surprised by the interest in this player.

Evidently if he settles in here over the next 4 months then we have a good player but if he's a ' sulker ' we could just have replaced Tomlin .

:shocking:

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I would like to know why St Etienne want to sell him at the first opportunity they have and why it didn't work out for the lad with them .

It was noted in the media here that he didn't celebrate a rare win for his club and sulked on the bench .

Evidently if he settles in here over the next 4 months then we have a good player but if he's a ' sulker ' we could just have replaced Tomlin .

Well if he has the impact if loan Tomlin rather than bought Tomlin, I'd be thrilled. People have been calling on Johnson to roll the dice, sounds like he's done so

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Being based frogside do you know any more about Diony than we might?

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Just going on YouTube highlights, he looks quick and strong, but technique looks a bit dodgy. Its good if we are getting him on loan first, as we can see if he is the right DNA. Can't be having any more tomlin's. What I don't get is, if loads of clubs want him, then how have we managed to get him on loan. Surely they'd be more interested in selling him straight away, rather than waiting to see if we fancy buying him at the end of the season. 

I think because they paid a fairly big fee in the summer just gone.

It's unusual for a club to sell a player 6-12 months after buying him, so the possibility of having to pay most of what St Ettiene did as a transfer fee could be a stalling point.

We've come in with what seems to be a lower fee if those reports are right, but if he's on loan we'll also be taking his wages away for the next few months.

Mixed. 

This was our chance to really go for it & push for automatic promotion, yet we’ve signed 3 players that haven’t played in this league before. Albeit Kent has, but he needs 3/4 games until he’s fit. 

He only joined them in the summer and has only started two games all season. 

Don’t have a good feeling about this personally. 

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Mixed. 

This was our chance to really go for it & push for automatic promotion, yet we’ve signed 3 players that haven’t played in this league before. Albeit Kent has, but he needs 3/4 games until he’s fit. 

We wont pay the wages tho Pete so we wont get Prem or top Championship players so every signing will have to be a gamble

1 minute ago, westonred said:

We wont pay the wages tho Pete so we wont get Prem or top Championship players so every signing will have to be a gamble

Every signing is a gamble regardless.

We paid the wages for Tomlin, but once he was our player he didn't bother.

We paid the wages for David James, Jody Morris, Neil Kilkenny.

All were proven players, none paid off.

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Mixed. 

He only joined them in the summer and has only started two games all season. 

Don’t have a good feeling about this personally. 

I’d rather not gamble the next ten years on signing players on massive wages just because they’re ‘names’. I’ve never had more faith in our recruitment process. 

Team of Reids >>>> Team of Tomlins

Plenty of teams full of big name players who are struggling in this league because their players don’t give a shit and they’re just going through the motions. 

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

Every signing is a gamble regardless.

We paid the wages for Tomlin, but once he was our player he didn't bother.

We paid the wages for David James, Jody Morris, Neil Kilkenny.

All were proven players, none paid off.

You can see the point though I’m sure. Understandable people would feel far more confident in our promotion chances if it was looking like we were signing a forward who’s proven in the country. 

53 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Being based frogside do you know any more about Diony than we might?

I'm digging at the moment.

It appears that he was bought on the recommendation of Dominique Rocheteau , ( St Etienne legend ) after seeing him play one match against them .

Dion's application is questioned many times .

Others blame the lack of quality around him as a reason as to his lack of goals .

They want shot as they are preparing for a return to Ligue 2 and will have financial difficulties with current contracts and a reduction in revenue.

I'll give an update when I can ( probably at the same moment that Birmingham City unveil him as their latest signing ! ) 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You can see the point though I’m sure. Understandable people would feel far more confident in our promotion chances if it was looking like we were signing a forward who’s proven in the country. 

But we've done that route and 80%+ of the signings have been flops.

Surely at that point it must be time to realise there is a better way of doing things, and one that doesn't screw us up financially 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’d rather not gamble the next ten years on signing players on massive wages just because they’re ‘names’. I’ve never had more faith in our recruitment process. 

Team of Reids >>>> Team of Tomlins

Plenty of teams full of big name players who are struggling in this league because their players don’t give a shit and they’re just going through the motions. 

One proven, championship signing doesn’t make our whole squad big time Charlie’s...

I have faith as well but you can’t constantly keep signing players that don’t know the league and expect them to hit the ground running.

January is the window where you capitalise on your position & get the 1 or 2 that get you over the line. This guy has only signed for St Etienne in the summer, and they already want to sell him, which isn’t a great sign. He’s started 2 games all season and hasn’t scored. 

Derby have signed someone that knows the league inside out, Cardiff are on the verge of doing the same. Stoke did exactly the same in 07/08. Sometimes that’s the difference. 

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

One proven, championship signing doesn’t make our whole squad big time Charlie’s...

I have faith as well but you can’t constantly keep signing players that don’t know the league and expect them to hit the ground running.

January is the window where you capitalise on your position & get the 1 or 2 that get you over the line. This guy has only signed for St Etienne in the summer, and they already want to sell him, which isn’t a great sign. He’s started 2 games all season and hasn’t scored. 

Derby have signed someone that knows the league inside out, Cardiff are on the verge of doing the same. Stoke did exactly the same in 07/08. Sometimes that’s the difference. 

I get that. But you have to realise that we’re not a Derby or to some degree even a Cardiff. We don’t have recent premier league experience and the associated stature and financial clout that comes with it. 

It would appear on the surface that both of those clubs are throwing everything at the here and now ‘chasing the dream’ whereas we are trying to build something sustainable. 

Realistically how many top/proven championship players are attainable targets in a January window, AND fit our recruitment criteria? 

Struggling clubs won’t sell their best players when they’re fighting for survival and competitive clubs won’t sell their best players to a promotion rival. 

I’d bet massive money that we will be in a considerably better place than Cardiff in a few years time...

Archived