IGNORED

Our first League cup semi-final

onehowie

City had been all ready for that Spurs match, but due to the power workers being on strike, there no guarantee of electricity all night for the floodlights, so the first leg was postponed. That "took the wind out of everyone's sails".

When the game was played, City were 1-0 up through Alan Skirton when Garland broke through and we all waited for him to lob the ball over Pat Jennings into the empty net, but he dithered allowing Jennings to dive on the ball. Spurs had nine internationals playing that night.

Looking back, where are Tuesday's officials coming from? In 1970 one of the Ref's assistants (Linesman in those days) was from Swindon.

I had to stand at the front of the East End to have any chance of seeing anything. From memory Skirton's goal was at the Open End so all I really remember are the celebrations. 

Gilzean glanced in a header for the equaliser I think. I still have the programme and ticket somewhere.

I was also too young to go to second leg. 

The coupons system to get tickets was a big thing back then. In 1974 for the Liverpool FA Cup match they released coupons to buy tickets at a match against Oxford and we had about 25,000 in for an awful 0-0 draw. 

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Yeah, I was there, still have that programme and remember being disappointed that I could not go to the second leg.

Memories of this one are very vague now though

The programme says 9th December but was played on 16th December. Can't remember why the game was postponed for a week.

Been to all five League Cup semi-finals. Number 6 coming up on Tuesday!

25 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Seems strange that we "only" had 30k for that match.  Four years later we had 37k sell outs for the Leeds and Liverpool FA Cup matches.

If memory serves.............it was a case (for some) of  "we've got no ****** chance over two legs"

(ring any bells ?)

edit   also I think it was more than at WHL for the return (couple of days before Xmas) !

5 hours ago, downendcity said:

Remember queuing for tickets and the excitement in the lead up to the first leg, although I can't really remember much about the match itself.

I'm the same as don't remember anything about the game. I had an ST in Williams so assume I sat there with Dad. I had thought I was at second leg at WHL but realise this was only a year after getting married so no cash for away trips.

Expect the end result on Tuesday will be the same but we've done great in this cup.

34 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I'm the same as don't remember anything about the game. I had an ST in Williams so assume I sat there with Dad. I had thought I was at second leg at WHL but realise this was only a year after getting married so no cash for away trips.

Expect the end result on Tuesday will be the same but we've done great in this cup.

The gulf between teams like Man City and the likes of us is substantially greater these days than was the gulf  between first division teams like Spurs and us back in 1970.

We are not out of the tie yet and I hope we again give a good account of ourselves. Most of us realistically expect Man City to win, but with this team, this season you never know! Whatever the result, and whatever the outcome at the end of the season we have every reason to be proud. From where we were this time last year the change and improvement has been phenominal.

This will be my third semi final as well, hopefully third time lucky as we've always been the underdog. I feel very privileged compared to some supporters of some teams that have never experienced proper adult big games. There's one not too far from us.

2 hours ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Seems strange that we "only" had 30k for that match.  Four years later we had 37k sell outs for the Leeds and Liverpool FA Cup matches.

The League Cup was much lower importance than the FA Cup, even more so than now. I think the League Cup only started in the mid-60's so was still getting established at that time whereas the FA Cup was much more important than it is now.

Archived