IGNORED

Our first League cup semi-final

onehowie

3 hours ago, HomerRed said:

I had to stand at the front of the East End to have any chance of seeing anything. From memory Skirton's goal was at the Open End so all I really remember are the celebrations. 

Gilzean glanced in a header for the equaliser I think. I still have the programme and ticket somewhere.

I was also too young to go to second leg. 

The coupons system to get tickets was a big thing back then. In 1974 for the Liverpool FA Cup match they released coupons to buy tickets at a match against Oxford and we had about 25,000 in for an awful 0-0 draw. 

That's the main thing I remember about the action on the pitch - Gilzean's shiny bald head flashing under the floodlights as he nodded in their equaliser.

That Oxford game was over 26,000 iirc. My memory is walking past the massive queues at the Williams stand to get to the EE and there were crowds of fans going the other way and leaving the ground having paid to get in to get their coupons but not then staying to watch the match.

As you say, fairly typical City over the years, a whopping great crowd turns up only to see a very disappointing game.

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That's the main thing I remember about the action on the pitch - Gilzean's shiny bald head flashing under the floodlights as he nodded in their equaliser.

That Oxford game was over 26,000 iirc. My memory is walking past the massive queues at the Williams stand to get to the EE and there were crowds of fans going the other way and leaving the ground having paid to get in to get their coupons but not then staying to watch the match.

As you say, fairly typical City over the years, a whopping great crowd turns up only to see a very disappointing game.

Yes, Gilzean's shiny bonce is what I remember as well. 

17 hours ago, 22A said:

City had been all ready for that Spurs match, but due to the power workers being on strike, there no guarantee of electricity all night for the floodlights, so the first leg was postponed. That "took the wind out of everyone's sails".

When the game was played, City were 1-0 up through Alan Skirton when Garland broke through and we all waited for him to lob the ball over Pat Jennings into the empty net, but he dithered allowing Jennings to dive on the ball. Spurs had nine internationals playing that night.

Looking back, where are Tuesday's officials coming from? In 1970 one of the Ref's assistants (Linesman in those days) was from Swindon.

As I recall, Jennings dived on the ball, but OUTSIDE the box and all we got was a free kick. Now it would have been an automatic red card.

As for the linesman, I used to work with Frank Bassett, and I don't think he actively supported any team, he just had a general interest in sport.

20 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

That’s great! The parallels in Harry Dolman’s programme notes with today are striking - Steve Lansdown could copy and paste much of it! 

Genuinely mind-boggling.  From the "new stand" to the "recent form" all you need do is replace some of the team names and bang you've got SL's foreword in tomorrow's programme.  Even the reference to young players coming good. 

Can someone post SL's words on here on Wednesday just to see what he says.

Does this mean that bugger all progress has actually been made in the last 48 years?

16 hours ago, myol'man said:

Yeah, I was there, aged 12. Didn't realise what a massive game it was. We've only got this close to a major cup final twice in the 47 years since. 3rd time lucky?

3rd time lucky?  If we don't get through tomorrow, I'm holding you personally responsible and you will not be allowed to attend our 4th semi-final in 27 years time.

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Does this mean that bugger all progress has actually been made in the last 48 years?

Progress has been made. In 1970 City were playing a top flight team full of Internationals but were struggling to avoid relegation from the 2nd tier.

2018 City are playing a top flight team full of internationals but are striving for promotion from the 2nd tier.

Like other reds, I was at both legs of both previous semi finals. My memory is not so good these days, but I'm sure that in 1970 there was no fans segregation and I stood on the 'Shelf' at WHLwhich was where the Spurs fans liked to get 'social' with away fans?  don't remember any trouble, however.

Archived