IGNORED

Would you welcome / respect an improved Rovers?

reddogkev

I haven't put this in the dustbin thread, as the question might become lost amongst the junk and nuggets of comedy.  I've been thinking about the prospect of Rovers -as unlikely as it sounds - being promoted to the Championship some time in the near future and being run in a more professional manner.  I'm not interested in the details of how they could win promotion, but more about how we would feel (if indeed we were still in the Championship) and what the footballing landscape of the City would look like.  On one hand, we'd have the excitement and tension of the league Derby, but we'd have to rub shoulders again with the Gas heads.

Would the prospect of Rovers being an improved club, run more efficiently, improve the footballing status of Bristol and help us advance even further?  If this was to happen, would it be a good thing?  I do look at the shambles of Rovers and feel they tarnish the name of the City I love dearly.  It would be interesting if they became a soundly run football club, improved or moved to a new stadium, and whilst not being able to challenge our position as the alpha club in the region, at least become something other than a constant figure of fun.

Thoughts?

And don't worry, this is purely hypothetical!

If this thread does find itself dumped in with the rubbish, then so be it.

I have a uncle who is a Rovers fans. I used to think it would be great to have Bristol City top the Prem/Champ with Rovers just below us, it would make Bristol more of a destination for good players and give fans a much needed/earned bit of success. Over the years though he has become more and more... angry um I am not sure how to describe it, its a sort of jealousy, we have not earned our ground, team, success, league places or anything as we are just a rich persons franchise. Constantly talking about the millions wasted and how little success we have had with it. He didn't used to be like this,  but I just feel every year Rovers are a joke becoming more and more rag bag, the more he lashes out at us instead of trying to fix his house, he's trying to tear down ours.

So I am torn between wanting 2 good clubs at the top of the leagues, and not really caring about them other than light relief to bring a smile to my face over what ever tinpot thing they had done that day.

Perhaps you are all too young to remember when both Bristol teams were in the old division 2.  It was great.  Two England strikers and a whole raft of characters, Pitt and Peacock to name only two.  The modern nastiness between fans is truly a horrifying spectacle for many of us oldies.  Why would Bristolians not want the sort of good humoured rivalry of the past and a high quality of football to watch, and those wonderful matches between the two.  Remember, as a schoolboy, joshing our Rovers coaches when City, more often than not, put one over on them.  It was all good fun.  They were nice guys too none nicer than Alcock who lived in Fishponds near me.

I know that golden era of real, and many of them local, old pros in both teams has gone forever; but the era of another, and better, golden age for Bristol football would be fantastic

Its all about City now for me. Good luck to them if they ever manage to catch us. Im sure it would be a distraction if they were in the same league. Both clubs have held each other back for decades by just being happy to be top dog in Bristol. Thankfully as a club we now seem to be looking at the bigger picture. As for having to play them as a result of us slipping back to their level....well it dosent bear thinking about!

I really don't care about The Gas one way or the other. I do believe though that a successful local rival would act as a spur for City to continue to improve.

Man United had City nipping away at their heels for years...if their local rivals were Bury or Stockport, the cutting edge wouldn't be as sharp

Liverpool permanently have Everton to keep 'em "honest". If their nearest rivals were Tranmere, once again, the cutting edge wouldn't be as sharp.

Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea have each other for company with only the odd slide into a lower league.

I think it's healthy to have a local rival to keep you on your toes.

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I really don't care about The Gas one way or the other. I do believe though that a successful local rival would act as a spur for City to continue to improve.

Man United had City nipping away at their heels for years...if their local rivals were Bury or Stockport, the cutting edge wouldn't be as sharp

Liverpool permanently have Everton to keep 'em "honest". If their nearest rivals were Tranmere, once again, the cutting edge wouldn't be as sharp.

Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea have each other for company with only the odd slide into a lower league.

I think it's healthy to have a local rival to keep you on your toes.

There is the one upmanship aye

Take European history against Australian history from the last 500 yrs, we only got so good becuase we kept getting ****ed over by everyone and had to improve, Meanwhile in Australia, where are their rivals? They have none so there is no need to build war ships is there? 

22 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

I'd like that, only from a selfish City pov, I dont give a flying f*uck about the Sagheads, but I miss beating and humiliating them so for that reason i hope they get their shit together 

You obviously weren't watching in the 80s when they would routinely beat us, this is how it would typically go - 

- city would be far better team, play better football dominate the game

- Gas would kick anything in a red shirt, usually 3 foot into the air

- in the 89th minute some free signing from Mnagotsfield would score from 40 yards and Gas would win

- next six months Reds would be constantly reminded off it.

so for me it is a let them rot. Really enjoyed the last 18 years, :laugh:

12 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Perhaps you are all too young to remember when both Bristol teams were in the old division 2.  It was great.  Two England strikers and a whole raft of characters, Pitt and Peacock to name only two.  The modern nastiness between fans is truly a horrifying spectacle for many of us oldies.  Why would Bristolians not want the sort of good humoured rivalry of the past and a high quality of football to watch, and those wonderful matches between the two.  Remember, as a schoolboy, joshing our Rovers coaches when City, more often than not, put one over on them.  It was all good fun.  They were nice guys too none nicer than Alcock who lived in Fishponds near me.

I know that golden era of real, and many of them local, old pros in both teams has gone forever; but the era of another, and better, golden age for Bristol football would be fantastic

Remember sitting and listening to my dad and Josser Watling,a family friend,chatting football and the old days...was pure magic & Joss a true gent with a story or two to tell...it was such a different game then in every way.......believe he's still around but not seen him for a few years.such happy memories.

31 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I haven't put this in the dustbin thread, as the question might become lost amongst the junk and nuggets of comedy.  I've been thinking about the prospect of Rovers -as unlikely as it sounds - being promoted to the Championship some time in the near future and being run in a more professional manner.  I'm not interested in the details of how they could win promotion, but more about how we would feel (if indeed we were still in the Championship) and what the footballing landscape of the City would look like.  On one hand, we'd have the excitement and tension of the league Derby, but we'd have to rub shoulders again with the Gas heads.

Would the prospect of Rovers being an improved club, run more efficiently, improve the footballing status of Bristol and help us advance even further?  If this was to happen, would it be a good thing?  I do look at the shambles of Rovers and feel they tarnish the name of the City I love dearly.  It would be interesting if they became a soundly run football club, improved or moved to a new stadium, and whilst not being able to challenge our position as the alpha club in the region, at least become something other than a constant figure of fun.

Thoughts?

And don't worry, this is purely hypothetical!

If this thread does find itself dumped in with the rubbish, then so be it.

I don't even get why we still sing songs about them. Cardiff are our main local rivals and have been for some time. I can't name you one current Rovers player. That's how little I care about them. 2001 is a long time. 

13 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I hate them with a passion but wouldn't wish any club to go bust, even the gas.

I would usually agree but they routinely call us “82”. They found a club being in monetary trouble so hilarious that they’ve gone on about it for 26 years now.

**** ‘em, they found our troubles funny, I will laugh my ass off if they vanish.

It's all about what we do. If we can kick on and become a plausible top flight team, and retain that status, in the way that Burnley have done in recent years, then we really won't have to concern ourselves with what Rovers do.

Personally, not living in Bristol, I don't give two hoots about them...other than as comedy gold on occasion. We need to leave them behind...a good start would be dropping the songs about them...after one last blast at Holloway on Saturday... 

12 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

It's all about what we do. If we can kick on and become a plausible top flight team, and retain that status, in the way that Burnley have done in recent years, then we really won't have to concern ourselves with what Rovers do.

Personally, not living in Bristol, I don't give two hoots about them...other than as comedy gold on occasion. We need to leave them behind...a good start would be dropping the songs about them...after one last blast at Holloway on Saturday... 

Agreed, what would most piss them off would be if we never sung about them ever again!

Archived