IGNORED

Would you welcome / respect an improved Rovers?

reddogkev

No they can **** off, I used to have a bit of respect for them years a go as they supported a local team etc and not plastic TV fans but now I think they have the worst bunch of fans in the league continually bigging themselves up best fans in the country, loyal and true, fantastic away following, everyone loves them. I have mates that support that shower of shite nice people until it comes to football, they are seriously deluded and any football fan that is happy losing 5-0 as long as the teds lose 6-0 has something wrong with them. Worst club and fans in the country and an embarrassment to the City of Bristol. 

Definitely.

Someone's mentioned Liverpool / Everton and that's how I would like it to be in Bristol. City a top six premiership club and Rovers mid table perpetually snapping at our heels and making us up our game.

We've usually done better in the past when Rovers have been close to us for that precise reason.

If a Bristol City fan won £100m on the Euromillions and wanted to help City then IMO the best thing that they could do would be to buy Rovers off the current owners, who seem to be suffering a severe case of "buyer's regret", and genuinely start them coming for us.

Whilst their relegation to non-league was hilarious it was, for me, only so because it was always going to be temporary and as a result of catastrophic mismanagement which was going to be replaced.  If it had looked like the precursor for a slow lingering death as a club as is happening to Torquay then I would not have found it hilarious.

Despite the forum name I have always regarded Bristol as a two team city and hope that this will always be the case.

NO. Reasons are too numerous. 

Biggest. They have held us back for years by taking more than their fair share of support from a relatively well off city which really only needs one club, aided and abetted by a biased local media, who have embellished their performances to a degree where people think they are comparable in success terms to BCFC.

I don't think their success or (more usual) failure has any impact whatsoever on what we do.

Where were they when we reached the playoff final and were in the top flight?

Nowhere, as usual.

Aside from that, I'd like them to go bankrupt & cease to exist.

Comparing ourselves to the other lot has been our problem IMHO and part of the reason we have been so mediocre for years. We've moved on.

Yes, it's fun to watch them trying to keep hold of some sort of rivalry and find something they are better at but there isn't anything. The banter can be fun as well but I don't want to play them any time soon and cup games apart, I don't think we will.

Do I care about them or want them up with us? Not remotely interested in anything they have or do, I just care about City and them being up with us would bring back comparisons we have hopefully left behind.

Answer to the OP, NO! 

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I haven't put this in the dustbin thread, as the question might become lost amongst the junk and nuggets of comedy.  I've been thinking about the prospect of Rovers -as unlikely as it sounds - being promoted to the Championship some time in the near future and being run in a more professional manner.  I'm not interested in the details of how they could win promotion, but more about how we would feel (if indeed we were still in the Championship) and what the footballing landscape of the City would look like.  On one hand, we'd have the excitement and tension of the league Derby, but we'd have to rub shoulders again with the Gas heads.

Would the prospect of Rovers being an improved club, run more efficiently, improve the footballing status of Bristol and help us advance even further?  If this was to happen, would it be a good thing?  I do look at the shambles of Rovers and feel they tarnish the name of the City I love dearly.  It would be interesting if they became a soundly run football club, improved or moved to a new stadium, and whilst not being able to challenge our position as the alpha club in the region, at least become something other than a constant figure of fun.

Thoughts?

And don't worry, this is purely hypothetical!

If this thread does find itself dumped in with the rubbish, then so be it.

**** um 

30 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Are they still going? Can't wait until March :whistle:

It`ll probably be May now as they got the money in for their sole remaining asset from PNE last week. I can wait another month or two though, it`ll be worth it.

They will have to decide soon though whether they go into admin this season, take the points deduction now and risk going down or wait till next and start on minus. I`m not sure when the cut off point is.

18 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It`ll probably be May now as they got the money in for their sole remaining asset from PNE last week. I can wait another month or two though, it`ll be worth it.

They will have to decide soon though whether they go into admin this season, take the points deduction now and risk going down or wait till next and start on minus. I`m not sure when the cut off point is.

Patience was never my strong point .

If they want to sell, admin is not a good advert , so what can they do?
I think they (the family) will see out the season, hope they stay up without throwing money at it , and try and offload next year.

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I think they (the family) will see out the season, hope they stay up without throwing money at it , and try and offload next year.

I think that`s what they`d like to do whilst hoping someone comes in for Dopey so they get some compo for him. It might be taken out of their hands though if their creditors decide enough is enough.

Must admit I miss going to the old Eastville, the atmosphere and size of the crowds was so different than what we experienced at The Gate.. I really loved going there in the 70's...

Gotta say it, on a nice sunny day it was often the place to be in Bristol, there was something unique about the place there at the time it was great to go and the crowds were something else... Yeah I do miss Eastville its never been the same since the wonderful Sunday market had to make way for Ikea, it was the best, and beat the fruit market hands down.. Wish it was still there. 

56 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

What can they do? 

Well for a start a trip to Go Outdoors wouldn't go amiss, go and see how its done properly... 

Goodness no. 

I’m not actually sure I want them to go out business, either, as the inevitable phoenix club will have a feel good factor about it and may see them run in a competent fashion.

I would much rather see the current train-wreck continue indefinitely.

Archived