IGNORED

Best city goal you have seen

BetterRedthanBlue

Some great goals here (Trundle's 2nd v Scunny as mentioned earlier rates highly for me) but surely folks Clive Whitehead v Portsmouth to get us into the old 1st Division.

A long season and the tension that night was unbelievable but when that hit the back of the net the sudden realisation that we were on the brink of the big prize......Wow.

Always remember a chap several rows in front of me in the Dolman, leapt to his feet, threw his jacket in the air, punched the air several times and burst into tears.

12 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

was his debut.....scored a blinder away to oxford in the semi final v forest run

I remember that, although I’ve never been able to fathom why the league cup second round had two legs in 1988? We’d already stuffed Oxford 2-4 away and then we had to play them at home, and won 2-0....what was that all about?!

19 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I remember that, although I’ve never been able to fathom why the league cup second round had two legs in 1988? We’d already stuffed Oxford 2-4 away and then we had to play them at home, and won 2-0....what was that all about?!

wed beaten Exeter over 2 legs before that  too.....that was the norm back then 1st couple of rounds always over 2 legs

For me, Christian Roberts vrs Oldham at home to a Tuesday night.

Took a clearance on his chest and turned the defender as he did so. Sped past another defender or two before cutting in and passing it past the 'keeper.

Second best was Scott Murray's about 5 minutes earlier!!

1 hour ago, bcfcchris2016 said:

Joe Bryan’s goal vs Crystal Palace will stay with me for a long time. Absolutely splendid goal no matter where the camera angle is. 

Going quite a way back, does anyone remember Luke Wilkshire’s 40 yarder vs Tranmere ?

The two goals that always come to my mind are Maynards at QPR, and Wilkshire's. The latter because it was one of my first games, and the former because of the skill

Top three for me;

Christian Roberts v Hartlepool in the last minute, Ashton Gate went mental and to this day I am sure I saw the Dolman Stand move! The hairs still stand up on the back of my neck whenever I watch it back. 

Tony Tony Thorpe v the sags. Aaron Brown's run leaving several saddoes in his wake before a pin point cross for Thorpe, who had instinctively made a run into space in the box, before burying his header into the net.

Shaun Goater v Watford away - As soon as he took the shot beyond the keeper we were celebrating the goal, it seemed like ages to cross the line. I celebrated so much I ended up two rows in front. 

Some notable mentions

Flint's hat trick and none of them headers.

Ivan Sproule v Leicester away. Absolutely superb. On his day simply unplayable.

Nicky Maynard v QPR away, unbelievable technique.

Ray Atteveld's 20-yard volley away at the den. shame it was an own goal and he was wearing red :D 

David Seal nailed some crackers, and around about the same time I remember Darren Barnard scoring a mad goal about 35 yards out from near the touchline? Possibly against Grimsby or Barnsley - can anyone help me out? in fact, Barnard scored some belters for us i think, shame that my memory is fading and footage from those days is few and far between.

One match that sticks in the memory is Plymouth at home in the early 90s. We were pretty crap those days and goals, let alone good goals, were a rare sight. But that evening Nicky Morgan got a brilliant one then, OMFG, old tanglefoot Wayner chipped in from 20 yards after dancing around a cpl of tackles. 

Liam Robinson against Pboro - a waste of space, but scored two screamers from outside the box the last game of the season. Think we'd already been relegated so it was a day late and a dollar short... being a fickle git I still helped out when he carried him off the pitch on our shoulders after the pitch invasion at the end. 

Not the best goal, but the best laugh, was when Ivan Sproule ran from the halfway line with the opposition goalkeeper in the City penalty area for a last minute corner. With nobody to beat he almost ran the ball out of play for a goal kick. 

3 hours ago, Portred said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but i always remember being 1 down to Plymouth at home and Micky Bell had two free kicks within minutes from more or less the same spot in front the Atyeo, 1st went in the top left 2nd in the top right to put us 2-1 up. 

I may have rose tinted specs on, but that's how I remember it. 

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Exactly as I remember it too. A night match and Fallon I think got theirs. IIRC the BBC filmed scenes for an episode of Casualty or Holby City at AG that night too where they were treating a patient on the touchline in front of the EE during the game.

It was part of that record winning run under GJ where we won about ten on the bounce before losing away at Fulham on NY Day (?)

That would have been the 97/98 season under Ward. In front of the Atyeo, two beauties.

3 hours ago, Superjack said:

Always say this every time this question comes up. 

Joe Jordan at home to Gillingham late 1988/89 season. 0-0 late on in the game. Our player-manager brings himself on and shortly after gets put through virtually on his own in their half. Takes the ball to about 30-40 yards out and unleashes a diagonal bullet into the very top corner. Me and my mates in the old open end were right in the trajectory. Only the net stopped it taking our heads off. 

Pretty sure it was Jordan's last goal. After the match he said, "I had to hit it... I didn't have the legs to carry it any further..." 

I was very young and remember watching this on the news as I could not make the game. What a strike .

I think (the years have taken there toll on my memory) David Rennie v Rovers at Twerton. 40 yards out looked like gonna miss but the Gods made it happen and it swerved in. Stood in open end in line with it and said "he'll never do that again". Pretty sure he did in next match though...............!!!!

So many great goals supporting City through over 40 years and they get muddled unfortunately. Joe Bryan and Korey Smith's against man utd will probably remain fresh though! 

12 minutes ago, RedReynard said:

I think (the years have taken there toll on my memory) David Rennie v Rovers at Twerton. 40 yards out looked like gonna miss but the Gods made it happen and it swerved in. Stood in open end in line with it and said "he'll never do that again". Pretty sure he did in next match though...............!!!!

So many great goals supporting City through over 40 years and they get muddled unfortunately. Joe Bryan and Korey Smith's against man utd will probably remain fresh though! 

that was my first away game! absolutely lamped it in did Rennie, though we lost 3-2 thanks to a slapstick mix-up that cost us the match. You've opened old wounds :D 

Archived