IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Manchester City FC in the Carabao Cup match day thread

Septic Peg

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Absolutely. We like to play, but there have been so many suicidal mistakes in and around our own box. Walsh, Pack & Hörður was the unlucky one who got punished. We’ve got to have some respect for who we’re playing. One touch in our own box probably isn’t the best idea this evening!

Makes you wonder whether, even subconsciously, the praise they got from playing great football in the 1st leg has got them believing that they have to do that for the whole game and not just lump it. 

1 minute ago, BCFC_Mike said:

Am I the only one getting frustrated at the lack of knowing when we need to clear the ball?

I understand trying to play positively, and sometimes we pull it off superbly (playing it out from the back), but when you have the likes of KDB, Aguero, Silva constantly putting pressure on you, surely the need to clear the ball once in a while is there?

That's exactly it. Obviously Mags is at fault for that one, but it's not just him, a few of them are guilty of it.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Sorry to have to say, that is the 3rd time in games at least that Magnússon has allowed a player to squeeze past him in that self same position, against Cardiff it cost a goal, against Derby it almost cost a goal and tonight it has cost another goal.

I appreciate this is Man City but IMHO he ain't good enough, far far too weak in all of the instances I have pointed out.

Absolutely, just seen the replay he had ample time to clear if for a throw, diabolical defending and as you say 3rd instance of him doing that in different games.

1 minute ago, prankerd said:

I feel like our game plan is completely different to the last leg...like were just sitting back defending waiting for a counter attack which man city are just too good to fall for!

Its a shame we let in tho just before half time as 2nd half could of put fammy on ...but wtf is maggers doing thats pathetic defending ...

I say go for it 2nd half who cares of its 2 or 3 or more goals 2nd half most premiership teams lose by that much anyways this season lets make bristol proud!

It was a tough one tonight tactically and 2-1 made it very different to if we’d have hung on to 1-1. 

We simply had to stop them scoring tonight and hope we could use the ball well enough when we had the chance to counter. A stupid error that you’d get lambasted for in a Sunday pub team has completely ruined what was so nearly a perfect half of football. 

If we’d have gone for broke from the off tonight and xonceees early it could have been 2 or 3 nil by HT.

Can’t blame LJ for the game plan tonight IMO. 

Hörður isn't the only one to make errors this half but that was shocking. I have no idea what he's trying to do there at all. I've seen it multiple times now and why he's not just banged it for a corner or throw I have no idea. Gifted, not earned.

Called it before kick off. It's just a given that he'll have at least one howler per half. It's whether it's costs us or not. 

Near enough the perfect half from a team that could comfortably line up in the Champions League final. 

Walsh and Magnússon off, Diedhiou and Baker on please 

Scoreline a fair reflection of Man City's possession and pressure in the first half, but it is absolutely gutting to have gifted them the goal.

Had we held on till half time then mentally they would be under increasing pressure through not converting pressure to goals and we had started to look like we were finding our feet. 

Not impossible but a huge mountain with the quality they have on the pitch ( and bench) tonight.

4 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Hörður isn't the only one to make errors this half but that was shocking. I have no idea what he's trying to do there at all. I've seen it multiple times now and why he's not just banged it for a corner or throw I have no idea. Gifted, not earned.

Called it before kick off. It's just a given that he'll have at least one howler per half. It's whether it's costs us or not. 

Near enough the perfect half from a team that could comfortably line up in the Champions League final. 

Walsh and Magnússon off, Diedhiou and Baker on please 

Yes others have made mistakes in and around our box but Magnússon is far to weak at times and far too casual at other times, he is not good enough.

6 minutes ago, prankerd said:

I feel like our game plan is completely different to the last leg...like were just sitting back defending waiting for a counter attack which man city are just too good to fall for!

Its a shame we let in tho just before half time as 2nd half could of put fammy on ...but wtf is maggers doing thats pathetic defending ...

I say go for it 2nd half who cares of its 2 or 3 or more goals 2nd half most premiership teams lose by that much anyways this season lets make bristol proud!

I don’t know actually. I think this is just Man City at their best and not giving us a sniff. Don’t think we’d have set up to defend.  

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Scoreline a fair reflection of Man City's possession and pressure in the first half, but it is absolutely gutting to have gifted them the goal.

Not looked at the possession and shots stats (likely skewed to very one side) but haven't all the Mancs shots been from a long way out?

Man City have been very good not allowing  us any time on the ball and forcing mistakes. Tactically it looks like we tried to contain them this half and I guess the second half will be to attempt to attack more in the second half. The changes are bearing that out. 

Archived