IGNORED

Maggers..........(Merged)

brady bunch

I did not start the post because of this latest. Mistake, but due to the large number of basic errors he has made as i have watched him , home and away. Everyone makes mistakes, but repeating the same one in big games is hard to forgive. 

Maggers is a lovely lad, but I want promotion and we are unlikely to get it with him at left back...

37 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Talk about an over reaction. We are unbeaten v derby, lost once against Wolves, beat Cardiff... I won't go on. This is now 5 months in to the season and we are 5th and in a domestic cup semi final having beat 3 prem teams to get here and yet we have a rb who is pony against championshp, let alone PL, wingers and a lb who creates his own problems constantly. 

Logic doesn't stack up  

I can see why HM was loath to punt it. For 3 minutes before then it was one way traffic, a minute before Reid tried to be cute too but got away with it [note Reid was not advanced to challenge for a punt.....!!!!!] This is perfect hindsight criticism. HM can justify what he did because we were not going to relieve pressure launching it. He didn't have the strength, he made a misjudgement. Understandably, excusable. 

It's not an overreaction because it's not a reaction to the game as I've said the same thing all season long. Maggers has messed up so many times and on a good few occasions it's cost us dearly and every time Wright is up against a pacey winger he gets rinsed off the mark. 

In the modern game full backs are crucial to the style we are attempting to play and it's clear to see that we don't have that quality we need. Passano looked a lot better but obviously due to injury he's not playing but Bryan is needed as midfielder and Mags in not up to the standard at LB, even against Championship teams, let alone Man City.

I'm not talking about our results, against Wolves we played great and were unlucky, against Derby we didn't look as strong and that was because they were pushing our wings and getting success from it.

Also you seriously think trying to usher out the ball moving that slowly against world class opposition is the right move? The pressure we dealt with for most of the first half with no issues, it's conceding because we didn't punt the ball out when we should have that cost us and that was Maggers decision. 

When you look at out squad we have some right quality players, Bryan, Flint, Brownhill, Korey, Reid, Patterson etc and we don't struggle in the midfield because of it, however our full backs are not full backs you'd see in a team that will gain promotion. If I was an opposing manager with a pacey winger I'd tell him to stand Wright up and then use a burst of pace because I've lost count of how many times he's been beaten by that. He's a good defender but he's not quick enough off of the mark to be a full back in a team that counters with full backs as we do. With Maggy he's bad under pressure so I'd have an attacking player pushing him every time he was on the ball because the more he gets pushed the more he struggles to think quick enough.

You're entitled to think this is knee jerk reaction but it's not, Man City are easily one of the better teams in club football in the world, but my criticism isn't coming from this game alone, it's coming from watching teams bully our full backs time after time.

11 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

The fact he is a defender doesn’t help him. Mistakes around the rest of the field are a shame but not a disaster. A small mistake at the back and everyone points fingers at you. I like him, it’s a shame he gets so much criticism.

He's a likeable person and I think he has a lot of potential but he keeps making mistakes in dangerous places. If we were aiming for midtable I'd be more than happy to keep him in the line up and work on his game but with the league position we have and the players we have right now I think if we're going to push for promotion Maggy isn't good enough now to be a part of the team.
I think a solid LB and Pissano coming back and performing as he did prior to his injury and we'd look so much more secure at the back.

1 hour ago, NewquayRed said:

Cut the lad some slack, had a good half up to that point and there were two or three others culpable too in that build up 

He didn't really. He was targeted and was beaten countless times. However it's Manchester City, a little slack is appropriate, but LJ taking him off says it all. 

Good dcision to take Walsh off too. 

It's a costly mistake. As they all are when you play at the back. He's not quite as good as the others....

But considering the amount of game time he's had Vs the others he's a great player and definitely improving all the time. Always give 100% Let's be honest, Flint and Baker were hardly mistake proof a couple of years back. He'll get there. When he does he'll be virtually unplayable

1 hour ago, brady bunch said:

I love this team, best team in my30 odd years of watching city as an adult, but maggers is the weak spot... and yes we need a top notch left and right back to come in

We already have a quality right back in Pisano.  What are people on about?

1 hour ago, Thatwasclose said:

Playing the best pressing team probably in the world and decides to try and be smart in his own box

Our defenders were doing that all night long, more noticeably in the first half. Mags was caught out though... makes him the easy one to go after, right? 

1 minute ago, Spike said:

He's a likeable person and I think he has a lot of potential but he keeps making mistakes in dangerous places. If we were aiming for midtable I'd be more than happy to keep him in the line up and work on his game but with the league position we have and the players we have right now I think if we're going to push for promotion Maggy isn't good enough now to be a part of the team.
I think a solid LB and Pissano coming back and performing as he died prior to his injury and we'd look so much more secure at the back.

I completely agree with you, I do feel he is the weak link in the team but I think he has great potential, my point is that all the criticism he gets isn’t going to help him, send him on loan and keep his morale up, he is still relatively young and has a long career ahead of him.

2 minutes ago, BCFC_Mike said:

Our defenders were doing that all night long, more noticeably in the first half. Mags was caught out though... makes him the easy one to go after, right? 

Yeah, his error led to a goal.... we could give the all away on the cheap in the 6 yard box. If it doesnt go in it doesn’t really matter

There is a lot about his game that I like, but the reality is the costly mistakes are becoming too frequent. 

However - I do remember not so long ago people saying the very same thing about our very own hero Aden Flint a few seasons ago.....

He is still young, he is still learning, he will improve. 

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

We already have a quality right back in Pisano.  What are people on about?

I think that a RB coming in wouldn't be a bad thing because we don't know if Pisano will be back soon and even if he is if he gets injured again it still leaves us with no RB. We need a little depth and there is no problem having two RB's fighting for one spot, however there is a real issue with having to play a CB at right back, especially one who just doesn't have the pace or the crossing to play in our tactical set up.

Yes he’s made quite a few mistakes this season, but you can’t completely blame Maggers for the goal, there were 3/4 errors of not clearing our lines in the build up to the goal

Yes he should have cleared but so should the 2/3 others who had a chance before him

4 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

I completely agree with you, I do feel he is the weak link in the team but I think he has great potential, my point is that all the criticism he gets isn’t going to help him, send him on loan and keep his morale up, he is still relatively young and has a long career ahead of him.

I agree, issue is if we're going to fight for promotion then we need a new LB now and LJ doesn't seem to be after one which is my personal concern. In the Championship losing a few points here and there due to a player not being up to the standard can be the difference between getting an automatic promotion spot or even staying in the play off positions.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Hodur has been disposed trying to usher the ball out in the exact same place not so long ago. Can't remember who it was against  but to see the same thing tonight was truly horrendous. 

He deserved to be taken off imo

He was probably traumatized by the thought of you in your lucky t shirt and socks!

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think that a RB coming in wouldn't be a bad thing because we don't know if Pisano will be back soon and even if he is if he gets injured again it still leaves us with no RB. We need a little depth and there is no problem having two RB's fighting for one spot, however there is a real issue with having to play a CB at right back, especially one who just doesn't have the pace or the crossing to play in our tactical set up.

I don’t have as much of a problem as some do with Bailey playing at right back. However what does concern me is having  to use Korey Smith as cover because we lose so much from midfield.  We need another option at right back for sure.

Made the same mistake against Derby that almost cost us a goal. Russell outstrengths him on the byline when he could have put it out. Steele made the save that kept him from getting punished. Just too soft to be a defender. Sure I read somehere he went to Juve as an attacking midfielder and it shows

Archived