IGNORED

Maggers..........(Merged)

brady bunch

1 hour ago, brady bunch said:

I don’t care how many songs we sing about him or how long he throws it, he is a total liability in defensive terms.. and has been in nearly ever game....

Real shame. He's a young lad but he just isn't up to the standard of the rest of this team. Loses concentration, dithers and too lightweight. But to be fair he isn't a first choice. 

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

I agree, issue is if we're going to fight for promotion then we need a new LB now and LJ doesn't seem to be after one which is my personal concern. In the Championship losing a few points here and there due to a player not being up to the standard can be the difference between getting an automatic promotion spot or even staying in the play off positions.

Left back? We have one of the best in the division.

We need another RB, so we don't have to play a CB or a midfielder there..

Magners isnt the only one who made a critical  mistake before that goal, virtually all our defenders did, his was just the final straw. Aside from that mistake, hes been pretty quality, far better than Lloyd Kelly (for now). People just looking for someone to blame, but to be honest, again Man City, every one of our mistakes are going to be punished. We were good enough to delay it for so long, dont rip on the man who was unlucky enough to have his mistake concede.

Dont see anyone jumping on Baker's back for leaving Aguero wide open, and they  shouldn't because we were totally outclassed and still managed to pull our weight and play a brilliant attacking game. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s only fair we comment on the number of brilliant tackles he’s put in. 

It’s also only fair that we mention all the other suicidal mistakes we’ve been making  by a number of players. 

Yes Hörður’s decision was horrendous, but he’s not been alone in that respect. 

We didn’t clear it initially. Walsh and Smith(?) gave it straight back to them. I thought Mags was doing well up until that point. Real shame.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

We didn’t clear it initially. Walsh and Smith(?) gave it straight back to them. I thought Mags was doing well up until that point. Real shame.

It's the 3rd time he has made exactly the same mistake in a similar positions and it has cost us 2 goals and a near miss, he is not strong enough and he is too casual, it would have happened to Wright, Flint, Baker or Bryan.

3 minutes ago, santibello said:

Magners isnt the only one who made a critical  mistake before that goal, virtually all our defenders did, his was just the final straw. Aside from that mistake, hes been pretty quality, far better than Lloyd Kelly (for now). People just looking for someone to blame, but to be honest, again Man City, every one of our mistakes are going to be punished. We were good enough to delay it for so long, dont rip on the man who was unlucky enough to have his mistake concede.

Dont see anyone jumping on Baker's back for leaving Aguero wide open, and they  shouldn't because we were totally outclassed and still managed to pull our weight and play a brilliant attacking game. 

Exactly. Walsh dithered on the ball too for the goal. We looked much better with Bakes at the back and Korey central 

42 minutes ago, Spike said:

It's not an overreaction because it's not a reaction to the game as I've said the same thing all season long. Maggers has messed up so many times and on a good few occasions it's cost us dearly and every time Wright is up against a pacey winger he gets rinsed off the mark. 

In the modern game full backs are crucial to the style we are attempting to play and it's clear to see that we don't have that quality we need. Passano looked a lot better but obviously due to injury he's not playing but Bryan is needed as midfielder and Mags in not up to the standard at LB, even against Championship teams, let alone Man City.

I'm not talking about our results, against Wolves we played great and were unlucky, against Derby we didn't look as strong and that was because they were pushing our wings and getting success from it.

Also you seriously think trying to usher out the ball moving that slowly against world class opposition is the right move? The pressure we dealt with for most of the first half with no issues, it's conceding because we didn't punt the ball out when we should have that cost us and that was Maggers decision. 

When you look at out squad we have some right quality players, Bryan, Flint, Brownhill, Korey, Reid, Patterson etc and we don't struggle in the midfield because of it, however our full backs are not full backs you'd see in a team that will gain promotion. If I was an opposing manager with a pacey winger I'd tell him to stand Wright up and then use a burst of pace because I've lost count of how many times he's been beaten by that. He's a good defender but he's not quick enough off of the mark to be a full back in a team that counters with full backs as we do. With Maggy he's bad under pressure so I'd have an attacking player pushing him every time he was on the ball because the more he gets pushed the more he struggles to think quick enough.

You're entitled to think this is knee jerk reaction but it's not, Man City are easily one of the better teams in club football in the world, but my criticism isn't coming from this game alone, it's coming from watching teams bully our full backs time after time.

That's fair enough. To be honest it wasn't directly at you - overreaction - but I did intend to challenge perhaps our fullbacks are better than the credit they are being given considering our season. The championship is a mighty tough division for exposing a weakness in a side and frankly, I don't think we have been. 

One thing is clear in my mind, I definitely would rather have HM at lb than JB. I know a lot of people see Joe as a left back, to me it's a bit like placing Gareth Bale back there after he showed what he can do pressed higher. From what I see JB more than most in our side switches off. He is easily too exposed as a lb. Much rather him advanced and making those galloping runs back he does with such skill and being a real attacking threat. At left back, he's a hindrance to us at times and we lose his impetus. 

3 minutes ago, santibello said:

To be fair to Baker Aguero put that ball in the only place possible to score (that's why he is one of the best strikers in the world) I think Baker thought like I did that Aguero had been pushed far enough wide, it was skill rather than a mistake.

Magnússon is not good enough, how many more times does he need to be substituted at half time or benched again before people realise that.

5 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

People just can’t see that the lad isn’t good enough. 

The lad is class IMO but just made a mistake. Not sure if you noticed but others made mistakes also. Let's also not forget the quality of the opposition.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

It's the 3rd time he has made exactly the same mistake in a similar positions and it has cost us 2 goals and a near miss, he is not strong enough and he is too casual, it would have happened to Wright, Flint, Baker or Bryan.

Absolutely mate. I’m not defending him, just was a shame as I thought we looked comfortable going into the break, Magnússon included.

For me, Mags just doesn’t look hungry enough to win individual battles. No real desire there. No drive if that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, 29AR said:

One thing is clear in my mind, I definitely would rather have HM at lb than JB. I know a lot of people see Joe as a left back, to me it's a bit like placing Gareth Bale back there after he showed what he can do pressed higher. From what I see JB more than most in our side switches off. He is easily too exposed as a lb. Much rather him advanced and making those galloping runs back he does with such skill and being a real attacking threat. At left back, he's a hindrance to us at times and we lose his impetus. 

Now that is a very good point, agree 100%. JB needs to stay at left wing. But we do need to try and get a few proper fullbacks to help us finish this season in the runnings

The sad part is he's not learnt from already making that same mistake that's lead to a goal this season,

I get the feeling he's not a natural defender, always trys to play out even when sometimes you just got to put the ball out of play, sadly to often that though is not in his mind, 

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

The lad is class IMO but just made a mistake. Not sure if you noticed but others made mistakes also. Let's also not forget the quality of the opposition.

Tone with all due respect, he made the same mistake against Derby that almost cost us a goal and the same mistake against Cardiff which like tonight cost us a goal.

Right. For the record (and I e said it before many times) Maggers scares me to death with the ball at his feet in our box under pressure from an opposition player. 

The good news is - you can LEARN to hoof the bloody ball out in that situation. 

You cant teach tricky skills,  it the f-Ing basics you can. 

I hope LJ plays him the video and helps him recognise that in that situation you just put your f-Ing laces through it. 

I really hope he learns - because you CAN learn that - it’s not a ‘gift’. 

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Left back? We have one of the best in the division.

We need another RB, so we don't have to play a CB or a midfielder there..

Except Bryan is far more effective in midfield. Yes he can play LB and is easily good enough but then we lose that quality in the midfield unless we push someone else out there and that still leaves us with only Maggers as cover if Bryan were to be injured and he's not a natural left back, nor is he up to the task.

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Tone with all due respect, he made the same mistake against Derby that almost cost us a goal and the same mistake against Cardiff which like tonight cost us a goal.

And no one else in the team makes mistakes. Ok point taken. We get rid of Maggers and we would be top of the table. Learning this game is so easy.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'm talking about my lucky T shirt and socks..........

I know. Most would consider luck on their side to run a full strength man city team to the last kick of a game, no? 

9 minutes ago, 29AR said:

That's fair enough. To be honest it wasn't directly at you - overreaction - but I did intend to challenge perhaps our fullbacks are better than the credit they are being given considering our season. The championship is a mighty tough division for exposing a weakness in a side and frankly, I don't think we have been. 

I do agree with JB playing higher up the pitch, I still think he's leaps and bounds better than Mags as a LB and far less a liability but I also would prefer him at LM.

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

And no one else in the team makes mistakes. Ok point taken. We get rid of Maggers and we would be top of the table.

Calm down, i'm saying that a defender in that position needs to stand strong, once is a lesson learned, twice is a lesson forgotten and thrice is a problem.

By my count that is at least the 3rd time LJ has replaced him at half time, I suspect unless needs must (which is probably why he has played so much recently) he will be benched like he has already several times this season.

I want every player that City sign to be a good signing but my opinion is he ain't good enough.

NOT a defender. end of. Doesnt have the mentality. converted number 10. weak and easily dispossessed. And thats not because of the quality of the opposition.. hes just not that good at it. Also yes everyone makes mistakes but not the same one over and over? He's an accident waiting to happen. Mind you.. discussion on the radio about Stones in a similar vein...

Archived