IGNORED

Maggers..........(Merged)

brady bunch

33 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I'm gunna go way out there and say Maggers is much like Bobby Reid and just needs his position tweaking a little bit. I dont think he IS a defender.. Defensive Midfielder Yes, deffo

He's got the engine

Good positional sense

Decent tackle

Decent shot

Fair range of passing

I wonder... 

I honestly don’t know what you see when you watch him. He is awful on the ball when he’s playing full back and has the whole game in front of him. There’s no way he has the technical ability to play in midfield. 

1 minute ago, SuperRed said:

I honestly don’t know what you see when you watch him. He is awful on the ball when he’s playing full back and has the whole game in front of him. There’s no way he has the technical ability to play in midfield. 

And conversely I don't know what you see when you watch him.

11 minutes ago, Super said:

Is anyone surprised by tonight? He is horrendous we will be nowhere near the playoffs if we keep playing him.

And yet we do keep playing him and we are 3 points clear in the playoffs, 5 off second and with the 6th best defensive record in the league. We have already beat 6 of the current top 10 having played only 3 of them twice (and two of those 3 we played twice will end the season unbeaten against us). Something doesn't stack up with your certainty. 

I think that tonight may have been his last start for City. LJ lost faith in him as a central defender last season, so I feel his days as left back are over. There seem to be clubs interested in him, so encourage him to go 

1 minute ago, SuperRed said:

It's like sometimes he has a football version of dartsitis, he hesitates as if he wants to pass the ball but he can't release it.

FFS Mags is our 2nd choice LB and 4th Choice CB. he works hard doesn't make a fuss when he's not in the team and gives his all. He has improved massively from when he 1st came back into the team this season (when he look very wobbly). To the point that today the mistake was pretty much his only bad bit of play. He twice stopped us being out a number on the counter-attack by stepping up and intercepting and for the most part, took care of Silva. Flint nearly put into his own net, Walsh passed to Aguero on the edge of our box - we played one of the best teams about and he made 1 mistake big deal. 

He does lack experience (he has only made 30 odd appearances for us) but if people are saying he is not progressing then they are not watching every game. Add to that the threat from long throws and the criticism becomes ridiculous. 

1 big mistake today and unfortunately it cost us but this attitude on here of writing players off so fast is ridiculous. Ried, not a striker, Fammy a waste of money Bryan not a good LB, Flint a donkey on the ball, Pack/Smith not good enough. Its just ludicrous.

Personally think he is better in a 5 ie wingback formation. He made a mistake tonight but let’s not slate him to much. Let’s be honest these players will not face a tougher attacking team for a long time with constant pressure it was relentless first half and were talking Manchester City here a team who have showcased their dominance in arguably the best league in the world. He is not the answer as left  back but still a Bristol City player and I don’t want his confidence knocked two badly. 

A mistake but a mistake he was more or less forced into by us having no outlet.

The entire first half we were penned in, nearly every player in red on that pitch gave the ball away as soon as they got it, our passing was poor and we ran out of ideas.

Its easy to say hoof it long, but when its coming back to you 2 seconds later i can see why he made the wrong decision to shepherd it out of play.

Unfortunately due to injuries up front we have been forced into one dimensional passing play, Manchester worked it out and shut it down. It was tactics and pressure that cost us the goal, the mistake was just the final straw.

A great run that should be celebrated, tonight doesn't need a scapegoat.

He's doing his best. It's not really working. He's a nice guy and he's got some attributes but there are a few too many errors at this level. I think he'll move in the summer and I'll wish him the best of luck. No need to pile on the blame when a player is trying, it's counterproductive. 

39 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Tone with all due respect, he made the same mistake against Derby that almost cost us a goal and the same mistake against Cardiff which like tonight cost us a goal.

Totally different scenario re Derby, where Russell had tried to do him in the outside.  The outstretched foot that ended up at Lawrence’s feet was unfortunate, not a mistake.

Tonight, the goal, by definition, was his fault.

The one at Cardiff, by definition, was his fault.  Some mitigation, Bryan stood there motionless, when he could’ve helped out.

No-one blames Baker for not challenging Aguero!  Not trying to say two wrong’s make, but Baker could’ve done better.  Some mitigation, the ball sat up for Aguero and he therefore got a bit of top spin on the shot.  Might not have beaten Steele otherwise.

Tonight’s first half oerformance was error-strewn all over the pitch.  Bad touches, bad decision making, when to pass, when to hold....or was it just the incessant pressure and speed of Thought from Man City.  I’ve never seen a performance like that harrying the ball.  We think our pressing is good, theirs was perfect first half.

Back to Mags, he has been steadily improving since he has been getting more regular games.  He’s not as good as Baker, fact.  He’s still a decent back up at LCB or LB.  he’s had some good games recently.

I just hate the ‘one or a couple of mistakes’ = ‘shit player’.  He’s not shit.  He’s just not first choice.  By all means make him accountable for their first goal, I’m fine with that.

But not everything he does on the pitch is shit.  He was one of our more composed players in that first 45 minutes.  But people on here will tar a whole performance on one incident.  Yes, he can’t keep making goal mistakes, but they have been only a few.

On a minor point, did LJ playing Korey at RB, show his value at CM?

The issue with Mags I believe is that I don’t think anyone knows his natural position, centre back or left back. But in either one he is prone to mistakes.

Because of this another issue if we let him go is that we would need to bring two players in to replace him, one as cover for centre back and the other as can get for left back as I don’t believe LJ will throw Kelly in anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Shockwave said:

Really want him to do well 

BUT sorry he is not good enough 

No time for sentiment 

If the Russian club want him then accept and get a replacement 

Who do you bring in?  Someone better than Baker for CB, or someone better than Bryan for LB?  If not, what do you tell them when they’re signing:

- you’re my first choice, you’ll play every game....but have your fingers crossed behind your back....and then sit him in the bench every week.

Its a squad game, but you don’t have 22 equal players, 2 in each position.  You’ll always have some better than others, they are your first picks.  Others you pick based on form and can have battling it out with another.

That replace,ent you talk of is a touch recruit!!

3 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

**engaging rational filter for both sides of his argument**

Hörður made a bad mistake tonight, and has made a number of other ones too, which is concerning. Can he get better? Or will he continue to make the same mistakes

ahh the wonder of football discussion.

His mistakes are correctable. It doesn’t involve being gifted - just common sense. 

Lets hope he learns. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Totally different scenario re Derby, where Russell had tried to do him in the outside.  The outstretched foot that ended up at Lawrence’s feet was unfortunate, not a mistake.

Tonight, the goal, by definition, was his fault.

The one at Cardiff, by definition, was his fault.  Some mitigation, Bryan stood there motionless, when he could’ve helped out.

No-one blames Baker for not challenging Aguero!  Not trying to say two wrong’s make, but Baker could’ve done better.  Some mitigation, the ball sat up for Aguero and he therefore got a bit of top spin on the shot.  Might not have beaten Steele otherwise.

Tonight’s first half oerformance was error-strewn all over the pitch.  Bad touches, bad decision making, when to pass, when to hold....or was it just the incessant pressure and speed of Thought from Man City.  I’ve never seen a performance like that harrying the ball.  We think our pressing is good, theirs was perfect first half.

Back to Mags, he has been steadily improving since he has been getting more regular games.  He’s not as good as Baker, fact.  He’s still a decent back up at LCB or LB.  he’s had some good games recently.

I just hate the ‘one or a couple of mistakes’ = ‘shit player’.  He’s not shit.  He’s just not first choice.  By all means make him accountable for their first goal, I’m fine with that.

But not everything he does on the pitch is shit.  He was one of our more composed players in that first 45 minutes.  But people on here will tar a whole performance on one incident.  Yes, he can’t keep making goal mistakes, but they have been only a few.

On a minor point, did LJ playing Korey at RB, show his value at CM?

He needed to be strong at Derby and wasn't.

As for the Aguero goal, i'm sorry but have a look at it from behind the goal, to beat Steele who got a hand close to it, that was the only place he could have placed that shot because he was quite a way wide of the goal but he placed it millimetre perfect because he is one of the best strikers in the world, I believe that Baker and I certainly believed that there was no way he could score from where he was.

I have never said that he is shit, I am saying that he is not good enough, that is my opinion and I suspect will ultimately be LJ's as well.

Yay, bashing one of our players.

Hörður has been improving, he's still young and he will continue to improve. We're not necessarily seeing the best version of him at the moment, in fact almost certainly not. It's worth persisting with players who have clearly put in the effort to improve.

I don't think he's a liability at all, he's made a mistake, but the players had clearly been told to play out from the back and not just hump it up the pitch. Almost all of our left side made mistakes in the build up to that goal.

Feels like people have a massive chip on their shoulder about him, poor lad.

Archived