Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

brady bunch

Maggers..........(Merged)

2 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

I don’t care how many songs we sing about him or how long he throws it, he is a total liability in defensive terms.. and has been in nearly ever game....

Absolutely agree with you , he might be popular on social media and clearly a nice guy , but defensively he’s awful and it’s amazing how he’s not cost us a lot more goals before tonight’s game ! 

• Like 6

I said earlier in the game that I understood why Johnson had brought Smith back to right back.... he simply dosnt trust Maggers at CB, and now he must be wondering if he can trust him at all. Expect him to come off for Diedhiou with Bryan going LB and Patto going left mid 

• Like 7

I can't agree more, he's NOT a full back, we honestly need a quality RB and LB who are confident there. Wright just can't stop a good fast winger of Championship quality and higher and Maggs just makes bad decisions that are dangerous and in todays case costly.
I still think we're in need of a full back on each side if Pissano doesn't hit the ground running when he's back and an out and out striker. We've got a passionate team but the depth still isn't there.

I have watched him closely in the past few games and he is so not ready for this......he is not good enough yet.......he may be one day but not yet........we need a proper full back

Bizarre that he keeps on making the same mistake in that position. You'd think as a one off was bad enough; but he's been doing that all season. The type of thing you see in under 10's game

• Like 1

I love this team, best team in my30 odd years of watching city as an adult, but maggers is the weak spot... and yes we need a top notch left and right back to come in

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

I can't agree more, he's NOT a full back, we honestly need a quality RB and LB who are confident there. Wright just can't stop a good fast winger of Championship quality and higher and Maggs just makes bad decisions that are dangerous and in todays case costly.
I still think we're in need of a full back on each side if Pissano doesn't hit the ground running when he's back and an out and out striker. We've got a passionate team but the depth still isn't there.

Talk about an over reaction. We are unbeaten v derby, lost once against Wolves, beat Cardiff... I won't go on. This is now 5 months in to the season and we are 5th and in a domestic cup semi final having beat 3 prem teams to get here and yet we have a rb who is pony against championshp, let alone PL, wingers and a lb who creates his own problems constantly. 

Logic doesn't stack up  

I can see why HM was loath to punt it. For 3 minutes before then it was one way traffic, a minute before Reid tried to be cute too but got away with it [note Reid was not advanced to challenge for a punt.....!!!!!] This is perfect hindsight criticism. HM can justify what he did because we were not going to relieve pressure launching it. He didn't have the strength, he made a misjudgement. Understandably, excusable. 

Edited by 29AR
  • Like 4

I get the frustration but he has been excellent up until that point. Even then we have lost the ball around the box more than 5 times this occasion they were placed perfecty to pick it up.

• Like 6

Every player has made mistakes,we don't seem to be able to pass to our own players. They try to be to clever with the ball, not possible against a team of calibre. Still we are doing better than most,it was a dream after all.

Problem for me is Mags is a confidence player and needs a run of games to build his confidence (which seemed to be improving). After that mistake and taking him off at HT his confidence is going to be shot again. Back to square one!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s only fair we comment on the number of brilliant tackles he’s put in. 

It’s also only fair that we mention all the other suicidal mistakes we’ve been making  by a number of players. 

Yes Hörður’s decision was horrendous, but he’s not been alone in that respect. 

Can you please stop being sensible? The message board won't handle that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s only fair we comment on the number of brilliant tackles he’s put in. 

It’s also only fair that we mention all the other suicidal mistakes we’ve been making  by a number of players. 

Yes Hörður’s decision was horrendous, but he’s not been alone in that respect. 

I agree but the fact that it’s a replica of the mistake he made earlier this season, and the critical timing of it, is just infuriating.

I can understand people’s frustration!!

I did not start the post because of this latest. Mistake, but due to the large number of basic errors he has made as i have watched him , home and away. Everyone makes mistakes, but repeating the same one in big games is hard to forgive. 

Maggers is a lovely lad, but I want promotion and we are unlikely to get it with him at left back...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Talk about an over reaction. We are unbeaten v derby, lost once against Wolves, beat Cardiff... I won't go on. This is now 5 months in to the season and we are 5th and in a domestic cup semi final having beat 3 prem teams to get here and yet we have a rb who is pony against championshp, let alone PL, wingers and a lb who creates his own problems constantly. 

Logic doesn't stack up  

I can see why HM was loath to punt it. For 3 minutes before then it was one way traffic, a minute before Reid tried to be cute too but got away with it [note Reid was not advanced to challenge for a punt.....!!!!!] This is perfect hindsight criticism. HM can justify what he did because we were not going to relieve pressure launching it. He didn't have the strength, he made a misjudgement. Understandably, excusable. 

It's not an overreaction because it's not a reaction to the game as I've said the same thing all season long. Maggers has messed up so many times and on a good few occasions it's cost us dearly and every time Wright is up against a pacey winger he gets rinsed off the mark. 

In the modern game full backs are crucial to the style we are attempting to play and it's clear to see that we don't have that quality we need. Passano looked a lot better but obviously due to injury he's not playing but Bryan is needed as midfielder and Mags in not up to the standard at LB, even against Championship teams, let alone Man City.

I'm not talking about our results, against Wolves we played great and were unlucky, against Derby we didn't look as strong and that was because they were pushing our wings and getting success from it.

Also you seriously think trying to usher out the ball moving that slowly against world class opposition is the right move? The pressure we dealt with for most of the first half with no issues, it's conceding because we didn't punt the ball out when we should have that cost us and that was Maggers decision. 

When you look at out squad we have some right quality players, Bryan, Flint, Brownhill, Korey, Reid, Patterson etc and we don't struggle in the midfield because of it, however our full backs are not full backs you'd see in a team that will gain promotion. If I was an opposing manager with a pacey winger I'd tell him to stand Wright up and then use a burst of pace because I've lost count of how many times he's been beaten by that. He's a good defender but he's not quick enough off of the mark to be a full back in a team that counters with full backs as we do. With Maggy he's bad under pressure so I'd have an attacking player pushing him every time he was on the ball because the more he gets pushed the more he struggles to think quick enough.

You're entitled to think this is knee jerk reaction but it's not, Man City are easily one of the better teams in club football in the world, but my criticism isn't coming from this game alone, it's coming from watching teams bully our full backs time after time.

• Like 1

The fact he is a defender doesn’t help him. Mistakes around the rest of the field are a shame but not a disaster. A small mistake at the back and everyone points fingers at you. I like him, it’s a shame he gets so much criticism.

Mags tried a goalkeeper clearance, (going for goal kick) he should've cleared it 2 seconds ago and it wouldnt have come to that....

Was this why mags got benched? LJ saw it himself.

11 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

The fact he is a defender doesn’t help him. Mistakes around the rest of the field are a shame but not a disaster. A small mistake at the back and everyone points fingers at you. I like him, it’s a shame he gets so much criticism.

He's a likeable person and I think he has a lot of potential but he keeps making mistakes in dangerous places. If we were aiming for midtable I'd be more than happy to keep him in the line up and work on his game but with the league position we have and the players we have right now I think if we're going to push for promotion Maggy isn't good enough now to be a part of the team.
I think a solid LB and Pissano coming back and performing as he did prior to his injury and we'd look so much more secure at the back.

Edited by Spike
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NewquayRed said:

Cut the lad some slack, had a good half up to that point and there were two or three others culpable too in that build up 

He didn't really. He was targeted and was beaten countless times. However it's Manchester City, a little slack is appropriate, but LJ taking him off says it all. 

Good dcision to take Walsh off too. 

• Like 2

It's a costly mistake. As they all are when you play at the back. He's not quite as good as the others....

But considering the amount of game time he's had Vs the others he's a great player and definitely improving all the time. Always give 100% Let's be honest, Flint and Baker were hardly mistake proof a couple of years back. He'll get there. When he does he'll be virtually unplayable

• Like 1

Hodur has been disposed trying to usher the ball out in the exact same place not so long ago. Can't remember who it was against  but to see the same thing tonight was truly horrendous. 

He deserved to be taken off imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brady bunch said:

I love this team, best team in my30 odd years of watching city as an adult, but maggers is the weak spot... and yes we need a top notch left and right back to come in

We already have a quality right back in Pisano.  What are people on about?

• Like 1

Plenty of mistakes by multiple players leading to the goal. Two seasons ago, everyone was saying Flint had 2-3 big mistakes a game. Yes, he needs to learn and continue to develop. But the language used by some on this thread is incontinent. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thatwasclose said:

Playing the best pressing team probably in the world and decides to try and be smart in his own box

Our defenders were doing that all night long, more noticeably in the first half. Mags was caught out though... makes him the easy one to go after, right? 

1 minute ago, Spike said:

He's a likeable person and I think he has a lot of potential but he keeps making mistakes in dangerous places. If we were aiming for midtable I'd be more than happy to keep him in the line up and work on his game but with the league position we have and the players we have right now I think if we're going to push for promotion Maggy isn't good enough now to be a part of the team.
I think a solid LB and Pissano coming back and performing as he died prior to his injury and we'd look so much more secure at the back.

I completely agree with you, I do feel he is the weak link in the team but I think he has great potential, my point is that all the criticism he gets isn’t going to help him, send him on loan and keep his morale up, he is still relatively young and has a long career ahead of him.

At least wait until the game has finished to start a thread like this, hate the knives that come out against some of our players 

He made a mistake, could quite easily be added to the match day thread during the game 

• Like 3