IGNORED

Maggers..........(Merged)

brady bunch

6 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Yay, bashing one of our players.

Hörður has been improving, he's still young and he will continue to improve. We're not necessarily seeing the best version of him at the moment, in fact almost certainly not. It's worth persisting with players who have clearly put in the effort to improve.

I don't think he's a liability at all, he's made a mistake, but the players had clearly been told to play out from the back and not just hump it up the pitch. Almost all of our left side made mistakes in the build up to that goal.

Feels like people have a massive chip on their shoulder about him, poor lad.

Definitely. And at that moment launching it didn't seem much of an option. Reid was already in our third (he ballsed up clearing his lines the phase directly before) and neither was Diedhou on the pitch. It's easy to see why in a split second your decision might be to engineer something to deal with the danger than effectively concede possession again for it to come back for what seemed man city's sustained attack and pressure from 40m onwards. 

It's one thing to say a repeated mistake but another to ignore the context. He had no option but to surrender possession cheaply - a throw, a corner or to stones - or to try and work our way out. Yes he made a mistake a cardiff, or derby, but without going back to see what options he had at those moments, I find it hard myself to acknowledge repetition.

There could have been any number of players responsible for us conceding a goal in the first half because we gave the ball away in dangerous areas. With hindsight it's easy to say 'put your foot though it' but a lot of our best play this season has been played in tight spaces, inviting the opposition on and breaking quickly. We just got caught out a few times playing the best team in the country.

I think Maggers tried to do the right thing by shepherding the ball out, but his execution (not for the first time) was poor. Being a defender you don't get the luxury of making errors as they're likely to give the attacking team a chance. We've got 3 warriors in Flint/Baker/Wright who rarely get knocked off the ball and it highlights Mags lack of strength because unfortunately he does.

As for including him based on his throws, did I see Brownhill launch a similar distance throw in tonight? Maybe not as far, but if he's getting it into a similar area we can utilise a long throw with him.

This team has built up so much credit due to the results and more importantly in my view, the style of play, that it feels difficult to criticise them. He did make some fantastic tackles tonight, but if we're brutally honest based on the season so far Maggers looks the weakest link at the moment

Anyway, great game and I am off to bed before getting Eurostar back home tomorrow at daft o'clock in the morning.  We can argue all we like but at the end of it all BCFC have done us proud. We played the runaway Premiership leaders and stood our ground. What more can we ask for ?

12 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

He needed to be strong at Derby and wasn't.

As for the Aguero goal, i'm sorry but have a look at it from behind the goal, to beat Steele who got a hand close to it, that was the only place he could have placed that shot because he was quite a way wide of the goal but he placed it millimetre perfect because he is one of the best strikers in the world, I believe that Baker and I certainly believed that there was no way he could score from where he was.

I have never said that he is shit, I am saying that he is not good enough, that is my opinion and I suspect will ultimately be LJ's as well.

You’re probably not who I’m aiming my comments at :P

Mags isn’t good enough - to oust Wright / Pisano, Flint, Baker and Bryan from being first choice....but at 24, 25 in a couple weeks, he isn’t near his peak years yet.  That’s not to say he will ‘make it here’, but he could be a first choice.  How do you recruit to replace someone who’s a regular in the 18, but not a regular starter (barring injuries)?  That to me is one of the biggest headaches for the modern-day manager.

Re 2nd goal - It was a perfectly placed shot from Aguero - but Bakes could’ve closed that angle off imho.

3 hours ago, brady bunch said:

I don’t care how many songs we sing about him or how long he throws it, he is a total liability in defensive terms.. and has been in nearly ever game....

if he plays another game that will be one to many as far as I'm concerned, total liability, to say he was not strong enough on the ball and panicked every time he got it would be being kind to him, sorry he has to go.

There's a good player in there but at the moment he makes too many errors for a team looking to compete at the top end of the championship, he's only turning 25 next month so I'd look to loan him out next season and see if something comes of it.

33 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Yay, bashing one of our players.

Hörður has been improving, he's still young and he will continue to improve. We're not necessarily seeing the best version of him at the moment, in fact almost certainly not. It's worth persisting with players who have clearly put in the effort to improve.

I don't think he's a liability at all, he's made a mistake, but the players had clearly been told to play out from the back and not just hump it up the pitch. Almost all of our left side made mistakes in the build up to that goal.

Feels like people have a massive chip on their shoulder about him, poor lad.

would you be so forgiving if your wife cheated on you three times because that's how I feel about his mistakes. you might forgive them once, but if they keep doing it there comes a point you want a divorce well I have come to that point with Magnússon.

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

would you be so forgiving if your wife cheated on you three times because that's how I feel about his mistakes. you might forgive them once, but if they keep doing it there comes a point you want a divorce well I have come to that point with Magnússon.

Hahahahhahahaha what a sad analogy :rofl2br:

If you can seriously compare a young footballer making a mistake to your wife cheating on you then you need to give your head a wobble mate.

Every player makes mistakes. Flint made a lot when he first joined us. Look at him now. Patience.

1 minute ago, pillred said:

What the **** is this comparison? What a ******* stupid idiot you are. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Hodur has been disposed trying to usher the ball out in the exact same place not so long ago. Can't remember who it was against  but to see the same thing tonight was truly horrendous. 

He deserved to be taken off imo

It was the goal conceded at home to Cardiff I think 

1 minute ago, Benni said:

What the **** is this comparison? What a ******* stupid idiot you are. 

obviously not a die hard city fan like me, and as for being an idiot retiring at 59 and being financially secure for life enjoy your day at work tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, RT's Vaseline Tub said:

Someone behind me said he should only come on as & when required like in American Fiotball for his long throws and free kicks.

Perfect way of playing him I reckon.

Sadly this.

He is a real weak link. Tonight isn't out of the ordinary for him. He has done better over last few months but im not convinced he will ever stop being the weak link. 

I have to accept there is always more criticism on this forum than praise- it has always been thus. However, many players gave the ball away tonight and many also impressed. For those who don't recall accurately, it was Pack (my favourite player this season) who did the same v Wolves in a similar moment of 'trying to play the ball out' and the Wolves loss is still being felt, imoZ whereas losing tonight is just disappointing and won't affect the next 20+ games.

Give Hodor some slack. As with Patto, Pack,Bobby, Fam, Brownhills, Wright, Baker,Bryan etc who all occasionally lost the ball to a great bunch of opponents.

I don’t care how many songs we sing about him or how long he throws it, he is a total liability in defensive terms.. and has been in nearly ever game....

Sadly cannot really argue hugely with that. I think he clearly has talent though and he does a lot right but his mistakes are often hugely costly. 

I have to say also that I feel Wright is not the best we should be aspiring too; made a few somewhat needless errors again tonight. Baker made one i can recall when he was nowhere near tight enough to Aguerro for his goal. Flint, as usual, was magnificent.

Walsh was very poor and, along with Maggs, had to come off at half time.

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Sadly cannot really argue hugely with that. I think he clearly has talent though and he does a lot right but his mistakes are often hugely costly. 

I have to say also that I feel Wright is not the best we should be aspiring too; made a few somewhat needless errors again tonight. Baker made one i can recall when he was nowhere near tight enough to Aguerro for his goal. Flint, as usual, was magnificent.

Walsh was very poor and, along with Maggs, had to come off at half time.

Do you think that's a bad error he made, or is it OK because it was Baker who made it? I'm asking because in the first paragraph you mention costly mistakes. 

2 minutes ago, Benni said:

Do you think that's a bad error he made, or is it OK because it was Baker who made it? I'm asking because in the first paragraph you mention costly mistakes. 

In total fairness that Aguero goal was superb, only the best strikers in the world score that. Hindsight is easy.

Said it after then Fulham away gam me on here and got salvaged for it.

In my 25 years of following City, I’ve never looked at a team sheet for a specific player and gone ‘oh no’ until Mags.

Liability and had too many chances. Time to move on.

Some players you can train and develop, what he did tonight he was taught probably aged 8! 

1 minute ago, Sandhurst Red said:

In my 25 years of following City, I’ve never looked at a team sheet for a specific player and gone ‘oh no’ until Mags.

Some players you can train and develop, what he did tonight he was taught probably aged 8! 

Nicky Shorey.

Nicky Hunt.

Neil Kilkenny.

I'm sure theres more but I'm cidered up to my eyeballs and can't think of any right now

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

In total fairness that Aguero goal was superb, only the best strikers in the world score that. Hindsight is easy.

Totally agree. The thing is we were playing the best team in the world (bar probalbly Barcelona) and we must take that into account. The discussion on here tonight is pathetic and shameful for many OTIBer's 

1 minute ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Really!!!! Have another think about some of the dross over the past 25 years.

entitled to you opinion, but that’s bo11ocks

I like Mags and he is a good player but I fear the physicality will always be too much for him. Maybe not in his peak years but he is old enough not to be making key mistakes seemingly every game. The Derby match it seemed everytime he cleared it, it went straight to a Derby player. He is getting outmuscled by 5’5 guys in our penalty area. It is just too much. If our cover is going to make mistakes at this rate, I’d rather them be from Kelly or Taylor Moore. Get them acclimated to the first team and build them for the future. 

5 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Never saw Marvin Harriott then...?

Archived