IGNORED

Maggers..........(Merged)

brady bunch

1 minute ago, Benni said:

Totally agree. The thing is we were playing the best team in the world (bar probalbly Barcelona) and we must take that into account. The discussion on here tonight is pathetic and shameful for many OTIBer's 

Bang on. Just wish people wouldn't jump down players throats at the slightest opportunity. It's particularly bad with Hörður, seems like certain posters have a massive chip on their shoulder over him. Pretty embarrassing actually, especially after his tweet apologising for the mistake. Not many players have the bollocks to do that. 

5 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Bang on. Just wish people wouldn't jump down players throats at the slightest opportunity. It's particularly bad with Hörður, seems like certain posters have a massive chip on their shoulder over him. Pretty embarrassing actually, especially after his tweet apologising for the mistake. Not many players have the bollocks to do that. 

There are always the same posters doing that. Hörður knows he made a mistake and holds his hands up for that which is excellent. The treatment he gets on here is really embarrassing but it surely doesn't give a fair view of Bristol City fans in general. 

4 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Sorry I disagree.

This has been going on for months and the best teams will punish you for it.

Every game he is error prone - it’s almost a game in itself wondering when it may be during the 90 minutes.

A friend came to the Derby game with me on Friday who has never seen us before and said to me 15 mins in that he just looked awkward in defending at times.

16 minutes ago, Benni said:

Do you think that's a bad error he made, or is it OK because it was Baker who made it? I'm asking because in the first paragraph you mention costly mistakes. 

No not at all... It was costly.

The order I spoke about that back line is my opinion of how I rank them; Flint being the best of the 4.

1 minute ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Sorry I disagree.

This has been going on for months and the best teams will punish you for it.

Every game he is error prone - it’s almost a game in itself wondering when it may be during the 90 minutes.

A friend came to the Derby game with me on Friday who has never seen us before and said to me 15 mins in that he just looked awkward in defending at times.

Don't think it's been every game though. He had a run of about 3 or 4 games recently where he was superb, I just despise the "he's shit" crowd as I said in my post above.

He's made mistakes, he's made another one today, it's the nature of a human being and a young, developing footballer to do so.

The fact is that many posters seem to want to batter Magnússon at every opportunity, but bite their tongues whenever, for example, Flint or Pack make mistakes (chose these players because they were both quite error prone in their early days at the club, but are now the core of the team and two of the players I least want to lose). I don't get it. Get behind him ffs.

12 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Really!!!! Have another think about some of the dross over the past 25 years.

entitled to you opinion, but that’s bo11ocks

There’s been shocking and worst players - don’t get me wrong , but genuinely each time I see his name it worries me what may unfold and when the error or two may happen.

if he learnt from the mistakes then maybe it would make it easier but it keeps happening.

Look at the highlights of how we’ve conceded or nearly conceded goals recently - he is often the root cause.

i wish it wasn’t so but watch the highlights back and you’ll see what I mean.

Wolves, Cardiff, Derby all spring to kind with some woeful defending that led to goal conceded, sending of Frankie off and Steele needing to produce a wonder stuff.

If we are serious about promotion - we have to be ruthless and that comes from someone who would consider them self a happy clapper.

8 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I’m just not someone who can come on here and slate our players.  They can have bad games, even the players I rate.  Flint for example, excellent tonight (our best player tonight imho), but he’s not always 7,8,9/10....but plenty on here feel as they can’t criticise Flint.  In reverse, plenty can’t give Magnússon praise.

Of course a defender is gonna get stick for effing up and giving away a goal.  Happy to see blame for a goal, but can you honestly say that until the 43rd minute Mags was a "liability", "shocking", "not good enough", etc.  Because I thought he was one of the few (Flint and Wright, possibly Joe and Korey) who had a decent first 45.  He was composed on the ball, well, as far as possible against frenetic pressing from Man City.

Perhaps I shouldn’t let it wind me up, but it’s as if sone on here can’t wait to make a player a scapegoat.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’m just not someone who can come on here and slate our players.  They can have bad games, even the players I rate.  Flint for example, excellent tonight (our best player tonight imho), but he’s not always 7,8,9/10....but plenty on here feel as they can’t criticise Flint.  In reverse, plenty can’t give Magnússon praise.

Of course a defender is gonna get stick for effing up and giving away a goal.  Happy to see blame for a goal, but can you honestly say that until the 43rd minute Mags was a "liability", "shocking", "not good enough", etc.  Because I thought he was one of the few (Flint and Wright, possibly Joe and Korey) who had a decent first 45.  He was composed on the ball, well, as far as possible against frenetic pressing from Man City.

Perhaps I shouldn’t let it wind me up, but it’s as if sone on here can’t wait to make a player a scapegoat.

Couldn't have put it better myself. **** knows I just tried!

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I cannot like this (too many for now) but I have to quote you: you are so spot on!

Said it before, but let’s not forget the influence Baker has over Flint’s performance.  Aden can play his game, with Bakes being the leader and organiser.  Flint leads by example, but in some respects is selfishly concentrating on his game.

Wonder what Magnússon would be like if he could play alongside Baker, e.g. if Baker could play right side CB.

Just saying!

8 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Don't think it's been every game though. He had a run of about 3 or 4 games recently where he was superb, I just despise the "he's shit" crowd as I said in my post above.

He's made mistakes, he's made another one today, it's the nature of a human being and a young, developing footballer to do so.

The fact is that many posters seem to want to batter Magnússon at every opportunity, but bite their tongues whenever, for example, Flint or Pack make mistakes (chose these players because they were both quite error prone in their early days at the club, but are now the core of the team and two of the players I least want to lose). I don't get it. Get behind him ffs.

bit like when a goalkeeper makes a mistake though, it's just that bit more costly usually.

2 minutes ago, Benni said:

I cannot like this (too many for now) but I have to quote you: you are so spot on!

..  and I know you’re close to Hörður (uncle, brother, cousin, or something like that), but some of us see the ability he has.

Personally I do think he needs to toughen up (be a bit more streetwise), but he has other qualities that the other 3 CBs don’t have.  It’s about bringing them together....then he will be a very good player.

Tell him to keep his head up.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ok - you make some fair points and I’ll agree that until the 43rd minute he’s been solid.

BUT

Would you rather an average player for 90 minutes who does the basics. Or, a player who is good for 88 minutes but then in 2 minutes of the 90, stupidly give the ball away in a dangerous area, lose their position etc. That is my problem with Mags.

If LJ can iron out those mistakes, their is a good player in there. The problem right now is that it is becoming habitual and expected and we can il-afford that with the league position and the opportunity ahead of us. 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

..  and I know you’re close to Hörður (uncle, brother, cousin, or something like that), but some of us see the ability he has.

Personally I do think he needs to toughen up (be a bit more streetwise), but he has other qualities that the other 3 CBs don’t have.  It’s about bringing them together....then he will be a very good player.

Tell him to keep his head up.

Yes, some of you do as does Lee Johnson. I agree with your comments about toughing up and he has been improving in that aspect. He will be a brilliant player there's no doubt about that. His attitude is so professional and the talent is surely there. I have told him to keep his head up and he will. He accepts his mistake tonight and is distraught but he isn't dwelling on it, he cannot do that and he knows it. 

3 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Ok - you make some fair points and I’ll agree that until the 43rd minute he’s been solid.

BUT

Would you rather an average player for 90 minutes who does the basics. Or, a player who is good for 88 minutes but then in 2 minutes of the 90, stupidly give the ball away in a dangerous area, lose their position etc. That is my problem with Mags.

If LJ can iron out those mistakes, their is a good player in there. The problem right now is that it is becoming habitual and expected and we can il-afford that with the league position and the opportunity ahead of us. 

But yours is a sensible post....it’s the "He was a liability all game" type comments that get me.

You are spot on, we can’t afford to ‘give away’ a goal every game, and players do need to learn from their mistakes.

Yes, some of you do as does Lee Johnson. I agree with your comments about toughing up and he has been improving in that aspect. He will be a brilliant player there's no doubt about that. His attitude is so professional and the talent is surely there. I have told him to keep his head up and he will. He accepts his mistake tonight and is distraught but he isn't dwelling on it, he cannot do that and he knows it. 

look Beni I can see your point, but it's not as if he hasn't done it before how many times does he have to cost us the game before you hold your hand up and say ok enough is enough?

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

look Beni I can see your point, but it's not as if he hasn't done it before how many times does he have to cost us the game before you hold your hand up and say ok enough is enough?

Every player makes a mistake and our defenders have been doing that all season. Why do you say he is regularly costing us the match? That's bollocks and you know it, he's just the scapegoat on here. That's what every football message board needs: a scapegoat. Just imagine if people on here would get behind the players, wouldn't that be great?

Every player makes a mistake and our defenders have been doing that all season. Why do you say he is regularly costing us the match? That's bollocks and you know it, he's just the scapegoat on here. That's what every football message board needs: a scapegoat. Just imagine if people on here would get behind the players, wouldn't that be great?

cant say for sure if one player costs a team the match, but it doesn't help, I'm sure the other players confidence takes a knock when they feel they cant rely on someone, he has his good points for sure, I just don't think he is cut out to be a top class defender, god knows I don't want him to fail.

14 minutes ago, Benni said:

We've come a long way in a short time so to excessively criticise a defender for making a mistake against the best attacking side in England and one of the best teams in the world is very unfair.

Magnússon did a lot of things right tonight and made a number of great tackles and interceptions. He is playing alongside three excellent defenders who are probably making fewer mistakes and that is also another pressure for him.

Please, let's give the guy a chance. Seeing so many of our squad improve during the last 12 months, I see no reason why Magnússon can't make that transition as well.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

obviously not a die hard city fan like me, and as for being an idiot retiring at 59 and being financially secure for life enjoy your day at work tomorrow.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

good champagne wont give you a hangover.

Best city fan ever, can afford to retire early, financially secure and drinks fine champagne. Let me bow down to your superiority.  :worship2:

Rather work and drink shit until I'm 70 than be a pompous self-absorbed bar-steward who feels that they have every right to abash strangers & footballers at will. 

But hey, that's just me.

18 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Best city fan ever, can afford to retire early, financially secure and drinks fine champagne. Let me bow down to your superiority.  :worship2:

Rather work and drink shit until I'm 70 than be a pompous self-absorbed bar-steward who feels that they have every right to abash strangers & footballers at will. 

But hey, that's just me.

I know who's position I would rather be in, I'll give you a clue it's not yours.  

Oh well - at least we know who has won "scapegoat of the month award on OTIB" for January.

Yes - terrible mistake. No doubt about it.

I would respectfully ask - did all those calling for him to be transferred not notice literally 10 minutes earlier when he sprinted from LB to stop a Man C attack on the right when Korey was left 3 on 1?

If you didn't please look again.

Yes, he has made some mistakes - tonight's was awful - 100% agree BUT - I defy anyone to genuinely not concede that Mags has improved out of sight this season.

He is still young, still learning and WILL eventually stop these errors.

Genuine critical posts are respected, but some posters going on about his looks and haircut....seriously guys, give it a rest.

He will play plenty more games at LB this season - LJ has belief in his ability.

It was awesome hearing the Maggs song being sung at the start of the 2nd half - I would imagine that helped the lad. Also saw Gus sit next to him and put his head on his shoulder and lean in - Mags looked utterly distraught.

That kind of love for your club, feeling terrible after you know what you have done is the 'DNA' worth bottling.

Mags will play a lot more for us, and just like AF, will turn out to be a tremendous player.

Only on OTIB can we ask for a guy to be sacked after 40 games and being 24 yrs old.

I also agree he may be useful further forward at times, with 2 goals for Iceland in 15 caps.

When Mags is in Russia at the World Cup it will be interesting to see how many of you don't say proudly that he plays for Bristol City..........

This is not the night for finger pointing.

We played a full strength Man City team, who really should have scored 4 or 5.

Mags mistake did not cost us the game.

It should not cost him his City career.

27 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Oh well - at least we know who has won "scapegoat of the month award on OTIB" for January.

Yes - terrible mistake. No doubt about it.

I would respectfully ask - did all those calling for him to be transferred not notice literally 10 minutes earlier when he sprinted from LB to stop a Man C attack on the right when Korey was left 3 on 1?

If you didn't please look again.

Yes, he has made some mistakes - tonight's was awful - 100% agree BUT - I defy anyone to genuinely not concede that Mags has improved out of sight this season.

He is still young, still learning and WILL eventually stop these errors.

Genuine critical posts are respected, but some posters going on about his looks and haircut....seriously guys, give it a rest.

He will play plenty more games at LB this season - LJ has belief in his ability.

It was awesome hearing the Maggs song being sung at the start of the 2nd half - I would imagine that helped the lad. Also saw Gus sit next to him and put his head on his shoulder and lean in - Mags looked utterly distraught.

That kind of love for your club, feeling terrible after you know what you have done is the 'DNA' worth bottling.

Mags will play a lot more for us, and just like AF, will turn out to be a tremendous player.

Only on OTIB can we ask for a guy to be sacked after 40 games and being 24 yrs old.

I also agree he may be useful further forward at times, with 2 goals for Iceland in 15 caps.

When Mags is in Russia at the World Cup it will be interesting to see how many of you don't say proudly that he plays for Bristol City..........

This is not the night for finger pointing.

We played a full strength Man City team, who really should have scored 4 or 5.

Mags mistake did not cost us the game.

It should not cost him his City career.

Hear, hear. Well said that man. I was thinking of writing an equally measured response. You have said it all. Nice one SX

I had a little whinge on Twitter after the goal, because this is not the first time he's done that, and he was all over the place at Derby four nights ago too.

However, what I will say - and it is not just in football - is that mistakes are often the best teacher for those who are determined enough to be a success.

Mags needs to show he's learning from these things. I haven't seen it yet. He seems an honest guy but the standard has raised and he hasn't reached it.

It is telling that at CB with the game in front of him he makes better decisions and is effective, but at LB he ends up with his back to play and is hesitant.

But I'd said it about Bryan last season too when his defensive awareness was off. Mags needs to progress similarly - and needs his confidence back too.

With all that said, last night should not be about individuals. It was frustrating to surrender first to that kind of goal, but the team to a man, are all heroes.

Archived